Fruit Explorer looking for employment with lodging

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

adambighamorcharding

Fruit Explorer looking for employment with lodging

Post by adambighamorcharding »

Firstly, I'd be interested if anyone knows what apple variety is the big old tree by Beaver Head Lighthouse? I was there for the first time last week (also my first trip to the island,) and that is obviously a very old apple tree. I took a dip in Donegal Bay on Wednesday the 17th, which was quite invigorating!
I used to be a professional Horticulturist, but I was working in a factory full-time for almost four years prior to Covid. I had some part-time retail jobs in the last couple years, and I continue to work with fruit trees on the side -- including my independent breeding work, and getting gigs for pruning, consultation and such.
Any suggestions for organic-minded horticultural produce you'd like to have from a local source? Along with a couple friends, we are hoping to get a plot on Beaver Island within the next 12 months and begin growing some things that folks on the island would like to see at the farmers' market for example, and to continue with fruit breeding, working with apples, hybrid plums, and other fruits.
In the meantime, I am interested (and available) to find employment for this season and get to know some of the community on the island. I would be grateful for the opportunity. I am presently in Comstock Park, Michigan, and I have lived in Michigan all my life.
adam b.
Attachments
Adam, circa 2017, picking cherries
Adam, circa 2017, picking cherries
36838715_926735070868685_4926467517330751488_n.jpg (585.44 KiB) Viewed 4066 times
Apple tree beside Beaver Head Lighthouse
Apple tree beside Beaver Head Lighthouse
IMG_20230515_140015153_HDR.jpg (7.43 MiB) Viewed 4066 times
Tom and Adam in Donegal Bay, May 17, 2023
Tom and Adam in Donegal Bay, May 17, 2023
1684352275598.jpg (125.81 KiB) Viewed 4066 times
Last edited by adambighamorcharding on Mon May 22, 2023 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pbona

Re: Fruit Explorer looking for employment with lodging

Post by pbona »

Hi Adam,
I was the B.I. Head light house caretaker from 1979-85. I can't tell you what variety the apples are, but I can say the crop was prolific. The apples were approx. <3" reddish and looked a bit like macintosh. They were not sweet and slightly mealy; good for pies and sauce. The raccoons loved them and would make quite a racket while getting drunk on the windfall. Good luck!
P. Bonadeo
JamesBoyle

Post by JamesBoyle »

Shouldn't you know what variety of apple it is if you're a horticulturist? Just asking.
adambighamorcharding

JamesBoyle wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:06 am Shouldn't you know what variety of apple it is if you're a horticulturist? Just asking.
Respectfully, no. Even with fruit in hand, identification of a variety is one of the most difficult challenges. It could potentially be obtained with DNA profiling, which Washington State U. does for a fee (myfruittree.org). Many hundreds of apple varieties exist on this continent.
BeaverIslandGuy

Post by BeaverIslandGuy »

Adam...the idea of growing crops to sell at the farmers' market is exciting! I know many who would line up for island-grown produce. It seems as though there would be a great opportunity to do something with the apple trees on the island. I have enjoyed several from time to time but believe all would benefit from better tending and professional care. Beaver Island cider perhaps? Good luck with your endeavors. I look forward to following your progress.
adambighamorcharding

BeaverIslandGuy wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:05 pm Adam...the idea of growing crops to sell at the farmers' market is exciting! I know many who would line up for island-grown produce. It seems as though there would be a great opportunity to do something with the apple trees on the island. I have enjoyed several from time to time but believe all would benefit from better tending and professional care. Beaver Island cider perhaps? Good luck with your endeavors. I look forward to following your progress.
Your reply is encouraging, thanks!
Mike Finn

Post by Mike Finn »

I see a couple of problems with your idea:
1.). Apples get ripe late in the season. The farmers market has a lot of traffic during mid summer when there are a lot of visitors to the island. However, about the time that apples get ripe the traffic falls off because many kids are going back to school before Labor Day.
2.). Apples are one of the only things that are currently available for free on this island. Sure, they are not as nice as the ones you could raise, but some potential customers will pass up your apples because they have been making apple sauce with free apples.
However, there are some things that sell very well at the farmers market but are in short supply. Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries would do extremely well. Early sweet corn too. I go to the market every week and I can tell you these things have been very scarce for years. Anyone who brings them sells out quickly.
adambighamorcharding

Mike Finn wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:45 pm I see a couple of problems with your idea:
1.). Apples get ripe late in the season. The farmers market has a lot of traffic during mid summer when there are a lot of visitors to the island. However, about the time that apples get ripe the traffic falls off because many kids are going back to school before Labor Day.
2.). Apples are one of the only things that are currently available for free on this island. Sure, they are not as nice as the ones you could raise, but some potential customers will pass up your apples because they have been making apple sauce with free apples.
However, there are some things that sell very well at the farmers market but are in short supply. Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries would do extremely well. Early sweet corn too. I go to the market every week and I can tell you these things have been very scarce for years. Anyone who brings them sells out quickly.
Yes, indeed Mike. I realize the usual farmers' market season doesn't overlap with the majority of apples. There are some early apple varieties, and plums ripen in summer. But our plans include growing other things as well.
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming!
adambighamorcharding

pbona wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:31 am Hi Adam,
I was the B.I. Head light house caretaker from 1979-85. I can't tell you what variety the apples are, but I can say the crop was prolific. The apples were approx. <3" reddish and looked a bit like macintosh. They were not sweet and slightly mealy; good for pies and sauce. The raccoons loved them and would make quite a racket while getting drunk on the windfall. Good luck!
P. Bonadeo
Thanks pbona, that is a good description. 'Snow Fameuse' apple is a possibility.
adambighamorcharding

adambighamorcharding wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:07 pm I am interested (and available) to find employment for this season and get to know some of the community on the island. I would be grateful for the opportunity.
adam b.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/adam-bigham-181b87263/
My email is cidernursery@gmail.com