BIRHC December meeting

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BI Pirate

Re: BIRHC December meeting

Post by BI Pirate »

Mr. Taylor, I'm not sure where you are getting this coming March information because the BIRHC confirmed opening it's dental office in November just before I left for warmer climates. I know I heard it and sure I saw it confirmed in writing, I believe, by Retired Chamber Guy or the NortherIslander as well as the Health Center Board. What's the story? :shock: :?: :shock:
Skull&CrossBones
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

I'm may be foggy at times but not going crazy. I just went back to BIRHC's website and read their announcement confirming that the dental equipment was installed November 26. WTH, why are they making HC dental clients wait another 4 months for dental services when they finally have everything in place after going without for almost two years? :?: :shock: :?:
Skull&CrossBones
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Mr. Taylor, You didn't answer my question about the dental office not operating until March but I assume it was discussed at the meeting you are referring to above. Can you confirm that it will not be open until March based on the board's discussion. If true, that is very unfortunate.
What you just shared is probably more concerning to me and others on the island than waiting until March for a dentist. Increased taxes to pay a person $80,000 to $100,000 a year to see less than 5 patients per day. And then to ask for assistance with "menial tasks". If the average patient visit is 30 minutes, that is 2 1/2 hours a day. In the other 5 1/2 hours a day they can not do their own "menial tasks" for $100,000? Island taxes are at a breaking point right now and killing the economy, how can they ask for a tax increase without a patient base to support or justify it?
Just as I thought things were getting better at BIRHC. Seriously thinking life is better in the Keys. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Skull&CrossBones
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

I'm feeling a little more mellow after Bloody Mary Sunday Brunch. I know that Mr. Taylor has been generous beyond belief in providing islanders with airline tickets to seek dental care. I also believe the Health Center has taken advantage of this generosity in not dealing with a replacement dentist. I know people on the island have appreciated the financial assistance with tickets, including yours truly, and have expressed that to Mr. Taylor. To my knowledge, not once has the BIRHC ever expressed publicly their gratitude to Mr. Taylor which I find totally shameful and unacceptable. :( :( :(
Skull&CrossBones
Fish Camp

Post by Fish Camp »

Charlevoix Courier

Beaver Island to open dental clinic
Twilla Johnson Nov 26, 2018

BEAVER ISLAND — A grant of $25,000 from the Delta Dental Foundation is bringing back to life the Beaver Island Rural Health Center’s dental clinic.

After two years of being closed, the only dental clinic on the island is set to reopen. With funding secured, the clinic will reopen this winter and serve approximately 600-1,500 full-time residents and visitors annually.

The $25,000 from Delta Dental Foundation will outfit the clinic with new dental equipment. The grant comes after the Sept. 22 meeting of the Health Center’s Board which approved $40,000 to purchase new equipment to augment the donation of gently used dental equipment from the Health Department of Northwest Michigan and Dental Clinics North.

The additional funding authorized by the Health Center Board for the dental clinic will assist with the purchase of the equipment and ancillary equipment and allow for the installation work. The board will also create a special restricted fund related to dental care to continue the effort to provide general funding for the care and maintenance of the clinic.

Services will be provided one to two days a week by a dentist and hygienist. This will include most general dentistry work including cleanings, exams, resurfacing, extractions, fillings, impressions, etc. But it will not include endodontic, orthodontics or oral surgery procedures. The clinic will provide comprehensive dental service to children and adults with Medicaid, Healthy Kids Dental, Mi Child, Healthy Michigan Plan and other insurance plans, including a sliding fee scale.

The process to open a functional dental clinic on the island started about two years ago when the Beaver Island Rural Health Center Board formed a dental committee to look into funding and coordinating equipment installation.

The Boat Company will provide free shipping for the pallets of equipment that will be shipped over to the island on the ferry, and Grand Rapids-based Patterson Dental will install the equipment.

A grand opening date will be tentatively set for the coming spring.
medic5740

Post by medic5740 »

Video of the BIRHC meeting on 12/15/18 can be viewed at:

http://beaverislandnews.com/2018 Decemb ... eting.html

The first couple of clips are very short and not important, but they are present anyway.

Joe Moore, editor
Beaver Island News on the 'Net
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

I've been chatting with a doctor friend down here. She and I see things similarly when it comes to issues with BIRHC, they are not unique. Few things have changed more over the past few years than the health care industry and the delivery of health care. Small independent hospitals or health centers are finding it increasingly hard to survive in the new environment and it's only going to get worse. Mergers and acquisitions by larger facilities are happening though out the country. The larger facilities are thriving because they have the expertise and resources to meet today's health care challenges. Local health center or hospital boards do not possess the skill sets, as well intended as they are, to meet the demands of a rapidly changing market. Burdening tax payers to keep the BIRHC doors open is a short term fix on the road to disaster.
It's time for BIRHC's Board, in the interest of health care on Beaver Island, to explore merger benefits that will assure long term survival. This is not to say the board has not accomplished many things through dedicated efforts. It is a recognition of what is in the best interest of residents, visitors and tax payers of Beaver Island to insure quality health care for the future.
Skull&CrossBones
Bump

Post by Bump »

:arrow:
Dec 20 special meeting at 5 pm
1. Call to order, welcome, announcements D. Spencer
2. Revisions to the Agenda D. Spencer
3. Recruiting Compensation *Action Required D. Spencer
4. Fund raising M. Turner
5. Dental Contract D. Spencer
6. Public Comment D. Spencer
7. Motion to adjourn *Action Required D. Spencer
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Mr. Taylor, Glad I'm here and not there for people to see me pulling my hair out, what little I have left. A couple of questions or observations based on your post. How can the dental clinic open in March if they still haven't even reviewed the contract? And now Mr. Spencer is going to be taking over the dental contract work from Mr. Carrington who seems to be the only one keeping the dental clinic on track? If I remember correctly, Mr. Spencer would sooner see the dental clinic be gone and not a requirement of BIRHC to provide in accordance with the townships' signed agreement. It must be the Trumpian strategy of appointing the person who wants to abolish the department in charge of running it, such as with the EPA, has now come to Beaver Island. Who says we are slow to change? ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Mr. Taylor, Let me end by again thanking you for your continued generosity with a contribution of $1,500 to BIRHC, I assume as an additional bonus to staff. =D> =D> =D>
Skull&CrossBones
islandnurse

Post by islandnurse »

Just a clarification regarding the $1500.00. The donation was forward to the Food Pantry and was not taken as a Christmas gift to the BIRHC staff.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Thanks to all for the clarification of Mr. Taylor's donation. The Food Pantry is an excellent cause this time of year and also throughout the year. Also good to know that BIRHC stays a breast of forum posts, a fact that was earlier disputed. :D :D :D
Skull&CrossBones