...ticks...

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

MegSing33

...ticks...

Post by MegSing33 »

Is anyone, everyone, having insane problems with many many ticks?
What can be done?

Monthly treatments to pets are not coming close to stopping these pests!
BI Boogaloo Boy

Re: ...ticks...

Post by BI Boogaloo Boy »

Check out my friend Batman and his post about mice which is on this forum. He might be able to help. He is a great guy.
tmcadvacup

Post by tmcadvacup »

20201011_202330.jpg
20201011_202330.jpg (3.01 MiB) Viewed 2008 times
There's a product called Cedarcide that I always used on my zoey. She never had any ticks until one time I didn't spray it on her I found 3 ticks on her neck. It is safe for humans as well. It has a lovely smell of cedar...of course. It's smells like the woods. 😁
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Adult Deer Ticks hatch out in the fall (now) and are very aggressive. It is the most common time that dogs become infected with lyme disease. It is imperative that your pets are on a high quality preventative to prevent your pets from becoming infected with not only Lyme Disease but additionally Anaplasmosis which has shown up this year with many dogs becoming infected. In addition we stock Repel in the Hardware store that works to prevent yourself from being bitten by deer ticks, we have more coming in later this week. Fall is the worst time for your pets! People are usually infected in the summer by larval ticks because they are so small that we often do not know we have been bitten.

The Michigan Department of Community Health puts out some great information on their website regarding prevention. https://www.michigan.gov/emergingdiseas ... --,00.html

As for your pets the best way to prevent lyme disease is by both treating your pet with a topical or oral product for lyme disease prevention, and also to consider vaccination for lyme disease. In my time on Beaver Island as a veterinarian (32 years) I have only had one case of lyme disease in a vaccinated dog and that dog never received its booster vaccination. Some may question the vaccines effectiveness, however those results have shown me that it is effective.

Dr Jeff Powers
Mike Finn

Post by Mike Finn »

I would trust the Doc re medicine to deter ticks. We use one called "NextGard" which was prescribed by a vet not on Beaver Island. I have hiked all the trails in Peaine township with my dog. He spends at least 10 hrs. a week in the woods. This summer I removed 2 ticks --from me. None from the dog. I've had this dog for 8 years and this is the best season yet; he had ticks in all previous years. So I'm a fan of NextGard even though it is not cheap.
Batman

Post by Batman »

So this is what you do for ticks you check your self Daily and I mean check every where the Key is to get them off you as quick as possible if you get a bullseye rash you need to go to the Doctor . And with spraying i have a tick treatment that works by treating the mice it has to be applies 2 times a year spring and fall so this a good time
And you can use deet to repel them on clothing
MegSing33

Post by MegSing33 »

Okay, thank you all. Great tips on the better meds and sprays.

Megan
BI Boogaloo Boy

Post by BI Boogaloo Boy »

8B201A0B-15C1-4EED-972B-CBE02EC73D02.jpeg
8B201A0B-15C1-4EED-972B-CBE02EC73D02.jpeg (26.89 KiB) Viewed 1081 times