Coyote concerns

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

MR

Post by MR »

Port of St. James. Apparently there was burger and bread mixed up with orange powder poured over it. A dog got into it--but apparently didn't eat enough of it before it was noticed--and began to throw it up afterwards. This was VERY close to my house and I am afraid that whoever is putting it out has put it in other places as well.
Stephen C. West

Post by Stephen C. West »

Spreading poison bait is a VERY BAD â?? dangerous â?? stupid idea. If anyone learns anything the Deputy (448-2700) should be contacted right away. Hopefully this is single event by a single fool.

As Deputy Williams pointed out coyotes can be dealt with on private property and can be legally hunted during a nine month season.

Serious and responsible coyote hunters use calls and harvest an animal (great fur hats by Mark Valente) with a single well placed shot.
Jon Livingston

Post by Jon Livingston »

I have not heard anything more on the proposed coyote kill contest by the Chamber of Commerce so I am hoping that more rational minds have prevailed. Is there an update to the coyote controversy?

Jon
Rambo08

Post by Rambo08 »

To poison cayotes is to poison your pets, think about this!!
Richard Burris & Amy
Jon Livingston

Post by Jon Livingston »

I think that it is a very big mistake to have the proposed kill contest include poisoning. It is not only inhumane but very dangerous. I am sorry to hear that there will be a contest at all but poisoning crosses the line in my opinion.

Jon
Marie S Powers

Coyote poisoning

Post by Marie S Powers »

I know that many of you on the Island remember what happened when "MacKenzie" Paul and the late Ellen Welke's Golden Retriever was poisoned in an attempt to eliminate coyotes not so many years ago. It was a heart wrenching experience for everyone involved. It happened to my pet "Sassy" years ago in Yale, Michigan. Indiscriminate poisoning always has horrible repercussions. If nothing else, personal experience and 27 years owning veterinary hospitals taught me that.
Stephen C. West

Jon Livingston wrote:I think that it is a very big mistake to have the proposed kill contest include poisoning. It is not only inhumane but very dangerous. I am sorry to hear that there will be a contest at all but poisoning crosses the line in my opinion.

Jon
Who are you and how did you become so mixed up? Do you know what a rumor is? What is your problem? :roll: :?:

Spreading poison bait is a VERY BAD â?? dangerous â?? stupid idea. If anyone learns anything the Deputy (448-2700) should be contacted right away. Hopefully this is single event by a single fool. That looks like the case as there have not been further reports.

As Deputy Williams pointed out coyotes can be dealt with on private property and can be legally hunted during a nine month season.

Serious and responsible coyote hunters use calls and harvest an animal (great fur hats by Mark Valente) with a single well placed shot.
Michelle LaFreniere

Ok Jeff & Richie..

Post by Michelle LaFreniere »

Time to delete this thread.. once again it has become a witch hunt.. it is amazing to me how such "smart" people hide behind the written word.. Grow the hell up.. NOW.. all of you.. this thread is about the threat of coyotes to our children and our pets, not who won what awards, and where or where not you can find them.. and everyone is entitled to an opinion.. even Mr. Livingston.. and who is answering whos questions.. got a question for Mr West ? call him.. his number is in the book..
Jon Livingston

Post by Jon Livingston »

To: Mr. West
Subject: Reply to your question

My wife and in-laws were long time close friends with the Blys in Lansing. The Blys had a cottage on Donegal Bay and my in-laws owned the lots just behind them. Unfortunately they had to sell them because of financial reasons and never able to have their retirement dream cottage. We are now in a financial position to buy a cottage or property of our own and have a renewed interest in Beaver Island.
Mr. West, if I can be direct with you, might I ask who you are and what gives you the right to insult me and my family?

Jon
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

I mentioned this to Steve in person a few days ago, he just "cannot seem to shut up". His reply, he "thinks its funny", my reply, "it is not funny when it completely inhibits people from commenting". Steve, if you knew how many phone calls and comments in person I get over these things, as if I am in the business of fielding THOSE things, you would be amazed. The general idea, I used to think, is post, watch and when things go away from your thread or notion perhaps comment. You seem to be the first to comment on everything causing a stall in the process. PLEASE give others a chance! Fred, identify yourself, I had a phone call today asking me if you might be a relative of the Pirate. For God's sake people, rant in your own name or stay off. And if someone mentions their likes or dislikes for newspapers or dogcatchers don't jump in and mention your own name in PT Barnum fashion. This thread is complete, guaranteed!! (The Reluctant Moderator)
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Received in a private message this morning, my reply was: "Why can't you be real"?

"Richie. I am not related to the BI Pirate, but Woodrow P. Johnson is a very close relative. We both will get off and move on. It has been fun though and we do not want to make your life difficult. Tell Jeff also. I know you two saw through us very quickly.

"Once again, I think it is perfectly alright for anyone to start a thread anonymously but when the "Vitreol" gets carried away it is time to back off or be yourself. I had a call yesterday from someone who is very frequent on the forum asking me to "check out this Fred Eastman". I am not a police officer but just a guy who wanted a place to exchange ideas and thoughts. Let's get back to the gas well idea, now that we are all broke!!!
Stephen C. West

OK Richie I quit. :shock:

Eastman and Livingston can have it.

Jon Livingston wrote:
I think that it is a very big mistake to have the proposed kill contest include poisoning. It is not only inhumane but very dangerous. I am sorry to hear that there will be a contest at all but poisoning crosses the line in my opinion.

Jon

How did you become so mixed up? Do you know what a rumor is? What is your problem? No one has proposed or supports poison.

Spreading poison bait is a VERY BAD â?? dangerous â?? stupid idea. If anyone learns anything the Deputy (448-2700) should be contacted right away. Hopefully this is single event by a single fool. That looks like the case as there have not been further reports.

Jon Livingston

Post by Jon Livingston »

Richie, thank you!

Jon
JodyAckermann

-

Post by JodyAckermann »

----
Last edited by JodyAckermann on Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy's Grooming Barn

Just my 2 cents!

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Kathe,
I saw the note from Deputy Williams and a large dog is a great idea, lot of good breeds to choose from and rescue is a also a great idea. If you do look at the breed he has mentioned i would suggest you talk to the Dawson's they have one, her name is "Sweetie" and they could give you a lot of input and i know they would be willing to do so. If you are interested in a large breed and would want some other ideas i would be more than willing to discuss with you what breeds would best fit your household, i have been grooming and training dogs for some time now and would be more than willing to share with you anything that might be of help. Feel free to call if you decide to go this route and would like any help 2150.
Andy Kohls
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn