Lyme Disease and High Water Information

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Pam Grassmick

Lyme Disease and High Water Information

Post by Pam Grassmick »

If you’re interested in professional information tick topics like:  seasonal variation, activity, abundance, life biology, risks, control, etc., the UMass Laboratory of Medical Zoology and UMass Extension (you might start with the ones dated 9Oct2019 and 12Feb2020) at: http://ag.umass.edu/landscape/education-events/webinars . The information in these webinars is mainly from the NE United States (where they’re well ahead of us in the Great Lakes region dealing with deer ticks), but their medical lab actually record data from ticks anywhere.

The “not-so-good” info from the east coast as a generality is that nymphal deer ticks are about 35% infected with lyme, and adults are around 50% infected.  Of course these are all subject to change and don’t forget; ticks can pass on other diseases
image003.jpg
image003.jpg (26.68 KiB) Viewed 3036 times
I've heard from a number of islanders who have had ticks on their bodies this spring. Use appropriate protection when in the outdoors and stay well.

News on the Net's, Editor and CEO, Joe Moore, completed a walk and video of a section of the eastern shoreline on May 2nd. It gives Lake Michigan property owners concerned with the high water situation, a good look from the water. He hiked in waders from Gracie Martin's Hill north to just below Point LaPar. The video is posted on News on the Net. Thank you for your efforts, Joe! =D>

The Beaver Island Association has posted the second High Water Summit from April 28th on their website: http://beaverislandassociation.org
McGrass
Pam Grassmick

Re: Lyme Disease and High Water Information

Post by Pam Grassmick »

The Lyme disease link has been corrected.
McGrass
JFPowers

Re: Lyme Disease

Post by JFPowers »

Deer ticks continue to be very prevelant on Beaver Island and Lyme Disease remains a threat to people and animals. Adult ticks are out in force right now, they become active every spring once the ambient temperature is over 38 degrees. The adults are a big threat to dogs as well as people. Larval ticks are most prevelant in the summer and more people are infected by these immature ticks than actually from the adult ticks. Over the last 7-8 years I have diagnosed close to 80 dogs on Beaver Island with Lyme Disease, some of them very ill with renal, neurological and arthritic symptoms. Numerous reports of human disease have been reported as well.

The best way to protect your dog is to have it on one of the preventatives either oral or topical. In addition a Lyme Disease vaccine is available and I have only had one case of Lyme Disease in a vaccinated dog, and that dog had never recieved its booster vaccination.

As for people this is the time to do tick checks every time you venture into the "weed", in addition preventive sprays are available such as Repel that help to keep ticks away.

If you are bitten or find a tick on you or your dog, it is best to seek medical help since we are in a "Lyme Disease Endemic Area" a course of antibiotics is strongly reccomended to keep the chances of contracting Lyme Disease.
Bob Sramek

Post by Bob Sramek »

I found a tick on me a few days ago. It had not yet embedded itself into me.
It was a tiny one that sure looked like a deer tick.
I saved it in a zip lock bag.
Is there a tick reporting mechanism in place on the island?
Does anyone test them for being a carrier of Lyme Disease?
The DNR or the Medical Center?
Any information would be helpful

Bob
jacquel

Post by jacquel »

Usually the med cen would send it to be tested but with COVID most labs are not testing anything else. At least that is what I was told this week at the Med Cen.
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Bob the medical center shouldl have tick collection sample bags and they can be sent to the Michigan Department of Community Health for testing. If it had not embedded however it most likely was not attached long enough to transmit lyme disease. I would however consult with a provider at the rural health center for the best information
JFPowers

Anaplasmosis found in dog infected by tick bite

Post by JFPowers »

Today we found a dog infected with Anaplasmosis on Beaver Island this was likely transmitted by a Deer Tick Bite. Anaplasmosis can also infect people from a tick bite.

https://www.cdc.gov/anaplasmosis/symptoms/index.html

Deer Ticks on Beaver Island remain a very serious vector of disease on the island. Please be proactive in Tick monitoring and control. As the link indicates elderly and those with immune conditions are the most at risk of disease.
Bob Sramek

Post by Bob Sramek »

Thank you for the information.

Bob