Information to the Beaver Island Community

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Dear Mr. Robert:

I will contact the site administrator and inquire as to why your last post was deleted. There are 3 possibilities: the delete is due to the tone of the e-mail regarding the Chamber's lack of response, your well wishes to the Natural Resources Eco-tourism Commission, or a technical error.
McGrass
Bob Robert

Post by Bob Robert »

I'm sure the cause was a result of your first mentioned posibilities for which I apologize. I do fully support your efforts and know that many others do also.
AEW

Post by AEW »

Clearly we all want a healthy Island to live on. I think some including myself are just not fully clear on what a NRETC board would specifically mean to them. Though don't get me wrong I think a collective effort to address some things on the Island is a good idea. But would it become a entity that has for lack of a better word "regulatory' authority? Would it be a board that collectively identifies areas of concern and then gets out of their chairs and physically solves them. If it partners with other State and Federal agencies are we opening ourselves to the "strings attached" rules and policies of those entities? Perhaps the group should be a Club, not a Board? I don't know. I do feel that if a more specific list of tangible projects were presented to the public it would be helpful in clarifying the implementation of the goals. I hope those who have strong opinion either way can temper their rhetoric so we can have a calm mature discussion about this issue. Overall the island is a pretty healthy place, heck, we get to ship our trash off to other communities. Perhaps we all could write down a few specific things that we feel would better the Islands environment. I have shared several with Pam already.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
--HERBERT SPENCER

Thanks,
Adam E. Wirth
Brad

NREC

Post by Brad »

I think the action of the St. Jame's board, obviously at the request of a few, was unprofessional at best. The NREC had no warning, no chance of defending their actions and there was no possibilty of public discussion or debate. I fear the same thing will happen tonight at Peaine township. Is this the kind of 'democracy' we deserve where actions by the few done in private determine the direction the Island will go for all? Poor form St. James. Maybe Peaine can do better.
Mike Green

Post by Mike Green »

There are more than a few that are unhappy just ask around
Brad

Censorship

Post by Brad »

One might also add that removing postings critical of the Chamber or anyone else is also not in keeping with the best traditions of free speech. Living up to our ideals rather than trying to silence one another might be a better course.
Brad

NREC

Post by Brad »

Mike, I know there are people unhappy with the NREC. I think there has been a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding. All the more reason to talk about these things in public and make the NREC what we all want it to be.
mcdonoughdiane

Post by mcdonoughdiane »

Bob Robert? Who are you? Do you own property on Beaver Island?

Cute answer "me"

So I have checked the Charlevoix County Web site "Equalization Page" and needless to say there is NO Bob Robert listed anywhere owning property here on Beaver Island!

So I ask once again who is Bob Robert?

I would agree that your posts should all be deleted since you can't seem to tell us who you really are!

Diane McDonough
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Obviously there is a considerable amount of misunderstanding that needs to be openly discussed. But keeping on track here, I would like to add one last post before tonight's meeting:

The charge: 2 out of 21 members of the NREC behaved inappropriately by advocating for a BSA designation.
1. Both townships formulated the commission on preserving biodiversity
2. The Comprehensive Adaptive Manangement Plan (CAMP) defined in great detail what that meant.
3. The CAMP was presented to both townships with no issues raised.
4. BSA is subset of the issues define the CAMP.
5. Therefore, advocating for a BSA was appropriate since it does not identify issues that are beyond the CAMP.

The BICC lobbied for Wildlife Certification and represented itself as speaking for the island community; it did not and does not.
1. The BICC convinced Russ Mason of the DNRE to identify Beaver Island for Wildlife Certification.
2. Russ Mason chose to remove most of Beaver Island from BSA designation, which members of his own agency said was unnecessary.
3. The BICC did not receive townships approval for QDM until after lobbying the DNRE as evidenced by the September 6, 2010 e-mail. 4. The BICC did not inform anyone that QDM was key to obtaining Wildlife Certification.
McGrass
Pat Simmons

Post by Pat Simmons »

The BICC lobbied for Wildlife Certification and represented itself as speaking for the island community; it did not and does not.
1. The BICC convinced Russ Mason of the DNRE to identify Beaver Island for Wildlife Certification.
Who makes up BICC again? Wondering how BICC could speak for BI to DNRE without many on BI knowing about it. Didn't MUCC in Lansing sponsor BICC?
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Dear Pat:

In answer to your question, the BICC's leadership is Gavin West, Jared Pike, and Brent Pike. I cannot speak to MUCC's involvement in this matter but BICC is an affiliate organization.

I have one last post to make that I will place on the forum related to the action taken at the Peaine Township meeting last night in which many individuals had their chance to speak both for and against one letter written related to BSA designation but the Peaine Township board chose to destroy the commission vs. work through a solution.
McGrass
Deborah452

Post by Deborah452 »

Could someone post an acronym key please?
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

I'll give it a shot:
NREC - Natural Resources Eco-tourism Committee
BSA - Biodiversity Stewardship Area
MUCC - Michigan United Conservation Club
QDM - Quality Deer Management
DNRE - Department of Natural Resouces and Environment
BICC - Beaver Island Conservation Club not Beaver Island Chamber
CAMP - Comprehensive Adaptive Management Plan
MWAP - Michigan Wildlife Action Plan
EPA - Environmental Protection Agency
(M)CELCP - (Michigan) Coastal and Estuarine Land Conservation Program
SOS - Save Our Shoreline
SOLEC - State of the Lakes Ecosystem Conference
OCP - One Commendable Person (Pam Grassmick)
sbsp - My grand daughter's favorite Avatar who lives in a pineapple under the sea.

Kirk D. McBride
Last edited by sbsp on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
Deborah452

Post by Deborah452 »

Thanks, Kirk.
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

Beaver Island is rich with natural beauty and many fine individuals, who care deeply for the Island's natural resources. This combination makes for an incredibly special community.

Decisions on the Island's future and resource management should be made purely on the basis of fact rooted in science. Allowing personal factors to intrude is inappropriate and irresponsible.

It is unfortunate when the community is split in such a visceral manner. Perhaps an outside arbitrator could provide objectivity and maintain the focus on facts and not personalities.

To all the Island leaders, I wish for you sufficient discipline, patience and the ability to listen thoughtfully. There is always a solution that affords a win/win. There doesn't have to be winners and losers.
Try and stop wondering where blame should be placed. That is such a waste.

If divisiveness is allowed to continue, we all lose. We lose credibility for one thing. Other entities will not care who is "right"' they will write all off as not being able to get our collective s*** together. We lose the special community spirit we all love. Let's focus on what we all have in common...a desire for Beaver Island to prosper and protect its precious natural resources.