New island residents

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Roger Lear

New island residents

Post by Roger Lear »

As Sunday afternoon found me will all my chores done, and the weather just beautiful,I felt it was the perfect time to take,what I like to call, a neighborhood watch cruise. Traffic by my house had been pretty light all day so I decided to drop the lid on my little blue unit and loaded what I thought I'd need. Bug dope,sunscreen, a sweat shirt, water and other refreshments and pulled out of the driveway.I sat on the road a minute and thought about going back for the binocular's and a camera but figured I wouldn't need them. After adjusting the speed control(my left foot) to casual meander,headed down fox lake road a robust 10 to 12 miles an hour. I arrived at fox lake without encountering any on coming traffic,and as everything seemed to be in it's place at fox lake so enjoyed the view and the breeze for a little while then decided a safety check of Greens lake was in order. Much like Fox lake, I found everything in order,enjoyed it for a while and checked it off my list. As I had yet to encounter any on coming traffic, common sense dictated that a trip around the island was necessary,it was after all a neighborhood watch cruise. I encountered my first north bound vehicle by Millers marsh, and as they were in the same slow meandering mode, gave them the secret neighborhood watch hand signal that only a few of us know. The safety check was going great, iron ore bay, check, lighthouse school, no one there but everything appeared as it should,check. I was about a quarter mile south of the Terry and Nancy Saxton home when I noticed what appeared to be a roll of carpet in the road. I stopped a couple hundred feet shy of it and suddenly a head popped up. A doe had just given birth in the middle of the road!I'm glad my little car is so quiet because I backed up a a couple hundred feet more shut the rig down. By the way she was laying there,her head was facing inland and her rear towards the lake, it was like she had tried to make it to the woods but ran out of time. As I sat there in amazement, and praying that a south bound vehicle didn't come flying down the road, the little guy mustered the strength to get on his legs and Mom looked back at him but went back to laying down. I figured the smart thing was to just hang tight and let things transpire and continue to hope for no south bound traffic. Being a bachelor,had I had a stove with me I would have boiled water, but instead was unable to take my eyes off of what was happening. I don't wear a watch on the weekends so I really don't know how long I was there,but was getting concerned that mom wasn't moving. A few minutes later I see something else and then see mom get up and walk into the woods. Twins! The first born one would not leave the new born and nuzzled it and stood over it for what seemed to be an eternity,and finally the little guy got on his feet and the two of them just stood in the middle of the road soaking up life. The second one was what I'd call the runt and for some silly reason I conjured up a picture of Wally trying to-wake up the Beaver in the morning,so in my minds eye I named them Wally and the Beav. Just a feel good story I wanted to share in light of all the recent passing's and funerals,and a reminder the life goes on . Rog
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Thanks for sharing, Roger. Nice to hear some good news for a change!
caram

Post by caram »

What a wonderful little story. Thanks for sharing.
Beaver Island Jewelry

new residents

Post by Beaver Island Jewelry »

great story! Thank you,
jacquel

Post by jacquel »

What a wonderful siting!
I saw my first fawn this morning too. Also in the road, not a day or two old, but so tiny! Mom was attentive and led it off the road as I slowed and stopped to give it time.

Finally, the young are appearing!
kbwelter

Post by kbwelter »

That's so very cool. Too bad you didn't have the camera- that sounds like what we would do! Great island tale!
joddy

Post by joddy »

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY ROGER!!!!
joddy
Dick and Amy

Post by Dick and Amy »

What a great thing you have shared with us; is a breath of air in these anxious times. DNA
Beaver Island Gardens

Beaver Island Sunday Tour

Post by Beaver Island Gardens »

That is a Beaver Island Classic Roger. Thanks for a totally uplifting tale.
Roger Lear

Post by Roger Lear »

It was only Saturday morning I cleaned the car and removed the camera and binoculars.Went to Jackie Howard's burial ceremony and always like to have a clean vehicle should someone need a ride or whatever. Much like a flashlight,matches, or a cell phone signal,there's never one around when you need it! By the way, only ran into one other vehicle and that was Ed Wojan up by lake G. I flagged him down and we chatted for a while and he said if they were still there he'd get some photos. when I got home checked the clock and I had been gone 2 hours and 20 minutes,and only met two oncoming vehicles. That in itself is a miracle! Rog
cindyr

Post by cindyr »

Great story, Roger, thanks!
Cindy
pam moxham

island residents

Post by pam moxham »

thanks for the warm fuzzies....
Rahn

Post by Rahn »

Well written, too!
Jim

Post by Jim »

Roger,

You are an excellent wordsmith, my friend. You rendered a great story so well that it will be a cherished memory, not only for you, but through your words also for those of us who weren't there to see the actual event.
You do create "pigments of the imagination"

Jim Stambaugh
JohnCull

Post by JohnCull »

GREAT STORY ROGER. I ENJOYED READY IT.

PLEASE BE SURE TO COME TO THE ISLANDERS' REUNION
ON JULY 11 AT HOLY CROSS HALL.

HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE, JOHN
Hello old friend
Its nice to hear from you