Coyote concerns

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Williams

Coyote concerns

Post by Williams »

At the request of several concerned citizens, I contacted the DNR to get some answers on what we can do with our coyote problems on the island.
If many of you have not heard, the coyotes on the Island have already killed two family dogs and have been seen very close to many homes.
According to the DNR, the coyotes may be shot (or killed in other ways) if they fall under the "nuisiance act" The nuisance act states that the animal must be threatening livestock (which includes pets), damaging crops, or obviously threatening human life.
Although the statute states "in the act of", I take that to mean that the coyotes have already killed two family pets, so therefore, the likelihood is great that yours is next and if they are on your property and you have children, livestock, or pets and can articulate the danger of the animal, the animal may be killed.
The exception to the nuisance act is if the coyote is or near its den.
Just keep in mind that Michigan law still requires that no person shall discharge a firearm within 150 feet of anothers residence. I understand the coyote concerns, I just ask that if anyone is going to shoot a coyote, please use common sense and follow the law.
I hope this info helps and if anyone has additional questions feel free to contact me any time.

Deputy Travis Williams
Charlevoix County Sheriff's Office
(231) 448-2700
Stephen C. West

Post by Stephen C. West »

September 17, 2009

To: Beaver Island Wildlife Club

I have lived on Beaver Island for ten years. Prior to that I was a regular visitor for twenty five years. I have seen more coyotes in the last two years than in all the prior years combined. Further they are acting much bolder. Recently when one crossed slowly in front of my car I pulled to a stop and rolled down my window to observe. The coyote stopped as well, made a turn back in my direction, looked me over and then trotted off â?? not in a hurry. One circled Elaineâ??s car. Many other Port St James (PSJ) residents report near daily sightings and hearing packs regularly.

In the last few weeks two beloved family pet dogs â?? that I know of - have been killed and consumed by coyotes. Deputy Williams reports a big increase in problem coyote phone calls in the last couple of months. One summer morning at about 6AM a couple of years ago Elaine listened as a howling pack closed in on a yapping little Fluffy belonging to a summer visitor. The only good news is that Fluffy died quickly. The city folks were shocked to learn why their dog was missing.

Island trapper Mark Valente told NorthernIslander that he has trapped 57 coyotes in the last two years out of the same one square mile area on the islandâ??s southeast side. Beaver Island is about 58 square miles in size. The northwest PSJ peninsula measures about one square mile. Based on photos, observations and hearing packs calling there could easily be ten coyotes in that one square mile area. Beaver Island could be supporting hundreds of coyotes.

It is widely known that healthy adult whitetail deer are not coyote meals. It is less widely known that coyote predation on fawns is well documented. On study reports that 47-54% of the coyote summer diet is fawns in an area with a sizeable deer heard. If Beaver has - say 400 coyotes and each eats only one fawn per year â?? well thatâ??s a lota deer. In fact it likely exceeds the human hunter take.

Perhaps the Wildlife Club could organize a winter Island wide coyote hunting contest?
Last edited by Stephen C. West on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
AEW

Post by AEW »

Thank you Deputy Williams for the information. We have had a lot of activity near my house and hope we can encourage them to keep eating turkeys, rabbits, deer etc and not our cats or dogs. Please keeep us posted on any additional legal aspects of of this issue.

Thanks,
kathemeade

Post by kathemeade »

Deputy Williams,

Thank you so much for your information about the coyotes. We have a place on the South Arm of lake G. There have been times when we have heard something that we thought were coyotes, but were not sure if they were on the island, or in our area.

We have a small child that often plays in the sand box in the back yard, it is good to be made aware of the potential dangers. Can you tell us if they have been spotted on the South Arm area?

Being from the south west part of Jackson County we are used to coyotes out by our house, but they tend to bother the farms and livestock around us and we have never had an issue with them in our yard.

Any additional information or sightings would be helpful. We do not want to live in fear...but we do want to be informed and educated.

Thanks!

Kathe
Jon Livingston

Post by Jon Livingston »

We also live in an area that I term suburban residential and have an increasing coyote population. Our Home Owners' Association in conjunction with the local DNR Officer agreed upon a plan that should the coyotes become a threat to our person or pets we can take action by having a professional shoot or live trap them. In lengthy and sometime heated discussion of the problem and proposed solutions the concern over baiting with poison was discussed. Our 100 plus pound Lab stays close to home or walks with us in the wooded preserve adjoining our development. She will sometimes wander into the woods and out of our range of sight. She is big enough that coyotes will not take her on but our concern was if poisoned bait or leg traps were used to solve the problem a number of innocent pets or wildlife would be endangered or killed in the process.
I believe the PSJ Peninsula mentioned is near where my wife's parents owned property by Donegal Bay. I would simply present the above scenario for precautionary reasons as you deal with the problem. Being an environmentalist I support hunting but do not condone a blood sport of indiscriminate killing solely for the sake of killing innocent creatures; that is not hunting as true hunters know it. I am perplexed as to why the Chamber of Commerce would endorse such a slaughter with the offer of prizes attracting strangers to Beaver Island in order to kill off natural and most likely innocent wildlife. Please do not go back to the days when wolves were killed by any means possible and put on display by hanging on poles for all to see. That is not hunting but something far more sadistic.
I deeply feel for anyone who lost a pet and for the pet itself but I would not hold the coyote out as the only one to blame for doing what comes natual to them. When our family accepted a pet we also took on a responsibility to provide, protect and love our pet unconditionally. I would hope that every pet owner would live by the same creed. Letting a pet, who knows no better, wander in an area where a coyote, who knows no better, does not fulfill the protection responsibility in my mind. We should be the ones who know better. There should not be two losses as a result of our irresponsible actions as pet owners.
Let me conclude my Op Ed by saying that when faced with the same problem we proceeded with caution, not emotion, and came up with a collective and proper conclusion. I would recommend that the DNR, Sheriff and Wildlife Club coordinate and develop a plan that perseves nature and protects the rights for all involved.
Last edited by Jon Livingston on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David Roop

coyote

Post by David Roop »

Here is my two cents.
If any one should hate them coyote's it would be me. Over the past few years while letting my beagles run the rabbits(Hare).
Four of them was attacked by coyotes. Two of them had to have medical treatment at Jeff Powers office.
However l knew the risk and l chose to go for it, my thoughts are that my beagles were intruding on their territory, and l don't feel any ill will toward the coyotes. Being an outdoors man for many years l believe that wildlife has a place in the wild.
l have always thought that the balancing will take care of the problem.

l HOPE l AM THE MAN MY DOG thinks l am,

EVERY THING l LEARNED IN LIFE, l LEARNED FROM MY DOG

l realize that many of you will disagree with me just remember we should agree to disagree be tolerant.
Jon Livingston

Post by Jon Livingston »

Dear Mr. Roop, Having had Beagles I know they are bred for the love of the hunt and with that comes an inherent risk of injury or death. If your dogs died or were injured in the process of hunting you should also know and be comforted by the fact they did so doing what they loved most to do in life. Beagles are not happy when laying around on a rug next to the fire place just dreaming of the hunt. And, if you could ask your dogs, they would let you know that you are the man they think you are for allowing them to do what they live for and be free to it. No disagreement from me.
Last edited by Jon Livingston on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Is that you Mr. Livingston?? Mr. Roop is by far the best renowned person I know of these wildlife issues and I would always accept his word for how these things play out. Although I was born here in the "wilderness" I never felt that we were being pushed around by the wildlife but to the contrary where we were moving into their world. Having read newspapers from around the world I have always been amazed at how people think these critters have moved into their area when it has always been the opposite!! I have seen more coyotes in the last two years than I have all my life. There is likely a population surge for these animals as there was when I was young in the 60's. What do we do? They are predators and they will kill small animals but it was just stated that it is natures way. There are times that humans should take a clue....................No, I don't have the answer, we are continuing to help raise post high school children!

God God, I hope Dave's dog respects him too!!!
kerriegillespie

Post by kerriegillespie »

Father,

Take care of my pomeranians! Balancing school and work is hard enough without having to add in time to mourn the loss of one of my precious, fluffy, pomeranians :) Although they have vicious barks (haha), God knows they're useless as anything but an alarm. I agree that it may be nature's way for wild dogs to compete with wild coyotes for territory/food. However, pets brought up in any environment NOT the wild are ignorant of the potential dangers "out there" and should be protected as so :)
Kerrie Consuela Gillespie

"At the end of the day, who you are is completely up to you."
AEW

Post by AEW »

Pomeranians make great lures. Excellent choice for trolling for Coyotes.. (sorry, sometimes I just can't help myself)
kerriegillespie

Post by kerriegillespie »

Good thing my house is in town, adam! :)
Kerrie Consuela Gillespie

"At the end of the day, who you are is completely up to you."
Stephen C. West

Post by Stephen C. West »

" I am perplexed as to why the Chamber of Commerce would endorse such ..........." said J Livingston

The Chamber of Commerce has NOT endorsed anything! This thread is a discussion of a problem. A hunt MAY be one of many possible solutions.

"I have seen more coyotes in the last two years than I have all my life." ......... said R. Gillespie - Life long resident.

Yes indeed!
David Roop

coyotes

Post by David Roop »

l would like to give two cents more
l suggest that the Chamber ,wild life club along with Jeff powers inquire with the DNR and their Biologist .Ask them about the natural cycles of wild game .The cycle usually runs 7 to 10 years the best l can remember.
In southern Michigan in the early 60's the rabbits declined in hundred s and the third year they started to increase in numbers and at the peak they were just as many as when the cycle started to decline. This also includes most all wild game, rabbits(Hare), grouse, squirrels fox just to name a few. l would think that coyote's would fall in this catergory as well.
l have hunted most all my life, l was raised in Kentucky and started hunting when l was 8 years old and have seen a lot in my 74 years . l am not trying to defend the coyotes from killing small pets.l just hope that this cycle kicks in before to many more small pets fall victim. We can't depend on trapping and hunting to do much in numbers.
l would like to hear other comments .
Dave Roop phone # 864-895-1635
Email david.roop@att.net
MR

Post by MR »

I was just informed that someone on the island (or someones?) has decided to take it upon themselves to spread out poisonous meat to get rid of the coyotes. If this is true, I am very angry. Pets and other harmless wild animals could eat it just as easily as a coyote...it is illegal for a reason!!! If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know!

How ignorant to think that this will fix the problem...

Miranda
kathemeade

Post by kathemeade »

Miranda,

Do you know what area of the island this is supposely happening on?