Zoning laws?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

mbhawk

Zoning laws?

Post by mbhawk »

Are the zoning laws for BI on-line at all? I can't seem to find such a site. Appreciate any assistance. Thanks!
BeanieBeanstalk

Re: Zoning laws?

Post by BeanieBeanstalk »

Call me at 231-448-2035. I don't want to post someone's number without their permission.
Beanie
BobTidmore

Post by BobTidmore »

mbhawk

Post by mbhawk »

Thanks so much. Found the answer to my question. I appreciate your assistance.
BobTidmore

Post by BobTidmore »

No problem. Keep in mind however that a contact was recently awarded to rewrite the St James zoning ordinances. I think Peaine will be doing the same. Much of this effort will be to match the ordinances to the recently published Master Plan and rewrite some to make them meet existing laws. The sign ordinance for example is unenforceable as written. The St James Planning Commission will be meeting to discuss this so feel free to attend and offer suggestions or comments.

Bob Tidmore
mbhawk

Post by mbhawk »

Thanks, Bob. I'll watch for that.
shinrinyoku

Post by shinrinyoku »

If you are planning on building within the Port of St James Association sub-divisions, you can find some additional considerations here: http://theportofstjamesassociation.org/ ... ntrol.html
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

If you're planning on building in Peaine Township, their ordinances can be found here:

http://www.peainetwp.org/government_dep ... dments.php
McGrass
medic5740

Post by medic5740 »

Thank you, Pam, for providing this information and link. This information only confirms the fact that each township has its own zoning plan currently, even though there is only one Master Plan. It would be nice to know how and why this came about.

Joe Moore
SKATINGFAMILY

Post by SKATINGFAMILY »

Joe Moore, Usually when adjoining townships share the same Master Plan they usually are working with each other with many of the same values and goals. Example would be "they" both (townships) value the waterfront and feel efforts should be made to preserve an unspoiled lakefront. In response to the written "master plan" to preserve the lakefront in an unspoiled way they might say in township "Z" that there will be no buildings or structures erected within 100 feet of the high water mark and that natural vegetation can't be removed except:.... then in Township X they decided that no buildings or structures may be built within 150' of the high water mark and that natural vegetation can't be removed except:.... Township Z made there set back 100' because most homes already in that district are 100' or more from the high water mark so that seemed reasonable because that is where the current setback is created by structures already located there. On the other hand Township X has many homes on the waterfront as well but because they are all 150' or more from the high water mark they felt it was prudent to protect more land in their set back so went back 50' more. Each township accomplished two goals, to protect land along the waterfront and restricting construction out in front of neighboring homes Example it's a 150' setback and someone builds at 100' blocking your view and enjoyment of the lake and land. So yes townships may share many of their goals and values the same but sometimes the land dictates different approaches and accommodation. Hope that helps Joe -Dave Grimm "Skatingfamily"