HELP: How Best To Rid Of Pine Sap

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Lachiesa

HELP: How Best To Rid Of Pine Sap

Post by Lachiesa »

Hello! I’d love to get some advice from people who’ve had success. I’m wanting to either paint or use solid stain on my front porch white columns. (I’m thinking they were stained previously but not 100%). The problem is that they each have globs of Pine sap on them. Any advice on how to properly prep the wood? I’ve gone through multiple sheets of course sand paper, ruined one sander, and have rubbed with turpentine (per google) but I can’t seem to get all of the sap off. Do I need to keep working at it? Recommend priming now then paint? Or solid stain better? Any other suggestions? ...nothing is ever easy.

Thank you!!!
FishCamp

Re: HELP: How Best To Rid Of Pine Sap

Post by FishCamp »

https://www.builderonline.com/products/ ... -seepage_o

Seems I heard slightly scorching the area with a propane torch as part of the process helps.

It's all about keeping the sap, if any, back in the wood.
Lachiesa

Post by Lachiesa »

Oh my goodness. Definitely don’t feel comfortable torching. With my luck I’d burn the place down.
SKATINGFAMILY

Post by SKATINGFAMILY »

HI there just left the Island and had a lot of pine sap on my truck, the best thing I found was WD 40 applied to a rag then rub to remove or I suppose you could spray and let stand for a moment then wipe clean.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Haven't much experience with pine sap but lots with cormorant poo on the deck of Shenanigans. Tried lots of things, never WD40 but the best seemed to be cheap rum. A shot to the deck, a shot to me, repeat often and after awhile I really didn't seem to care anymore. Can't take shots of WD40 followed with a UV light chaser unless you are the President. On a rare serious note, WD40 on a boat is liquid Duck Tape, fixes everything but stupid. What I wouldn't use WD40 on is wood because unlike other hard surfaces it will be absorbed and then unevenly repel paint or stain. My advise, which I give out freely at the peril of the user, is to contact my good mate Mark LaFreniere for professional advise you can count on. Or, take a few shots of rum, a few more and stain right over the sap. It's Beaver Island where one lives with nature, pine sap or cormorant poo.
:roll: :D :wink:
Skull&CrossBones
FishCamp

Post by FishCamp »

If none of these suggestions appeal to you, try this:

https://www.acehardware.com/departments ... pe/4021390

Cut yourself some patches to cover the problem and call it good.