Trout Island

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Trout Island

Post by 3278 »

As can be seen in this image, there is a line of open ground running northwest to southeast along the spine of Trout Island; the feature is even more distinctive seen here, from an aerial photograph.

I've been able to find vanishingly few images of the island on the internet, and those I've found have been from a distance, and appear to have been taken from the south, presumably from the waters north of High Island. Nothing has given any sort of clue as to the origin or purpose of this [presumably man-made] feature. Does anyone here know what it is?
Frank Solle

Post by Frank Solle »

I seem to remember something about a dark and stormy night. Lots of fog. A big freighter â?¦

But maybe I'm thinking of something else.
BigMike

Post by BigMike »

It is an airstrip. I have flown over he island and the guy even has an old Ford tractor there to keep it mowed.

Post by 3278 »

Ah, thank you. That makes perfect sense.

Is Trout Island privately-owned, then?
JT Cain

Post by JT Cain »

Yep. By Martians
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

Yes it is privately owned. Garden Island is predominately state owned. High Island is 100% state land. Two wonderful islands.
tomrock

Post by tomrock »

I think Frank's right on this one.
AEW

Post by AEW »

Bill Paladino, the previous owner of the Old rectory showed up to a halloween party with a clean patch shaved completly across the top of of his head. When asked what was he, he replied "Trout Island"