VOTE NO on the B.I. Community School Operationnal Millage!!!

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

John Bolton

VOTE NO on the B.I. Community School Operationnal Millage!!!

Post by John Bolton »

So as I understand the current B.I Operational Community School millage vote according to the flyer going around:
Item1 (with cute check mark)
After telling us how long the tax has been levied..< I assume to give it a bit more legitimacy(?)>
The proponents say:
(Wink Wink) that if you own just your "Primary Residence" (Homestead property) you don't even have to Pay the tax your are going to vote for!!!
Wow isn't THAT Great!! Cake and Ice Cream!
And this funding from all of we "outsiders" pays for 73% of the operational funds...

I'm not going to make any friends here amongst the Locals, however it is my position that if you are a Primary Resident, and it is YOUR kids in the local schools then you should at least pay up what the rest of are paying to keep your kids educated....

Why don't all the good voting citizens of the Island change how things are done and vote themselves a tax hike, too.
I urge you to VOTE NO on this millage and rewrite the law and join our efforts to keep your kid's school at its' best..

My name is John Bolton and I approve this message...so when you blast me be sure to identify yourself to the community or buzz off...

enjoy your tax day everyone.....
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
esteger

Post by esteger »

Mr. Bolton: Like you, I am a seasonal resident of the Island and a long time property owner. I must disagree with your objection to the payment of school taxes. It is imperative for we non-resident property owners that there be a healthy and vibrant permanent population on the Island including younger people with school age children to provide the economy that we all enjoy.
Our own children are long gone from the school system where we maintain our permanent residence, yet we continue to pay school taxes there as it is a necessary component of any healthy community.
The quality of the school system on the Island has always been a source of pride for our family, and hope that with proper funding it will continue to support the community that we all enjoy if only for a few weeks a year.
Evan Steger
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

A careful read of my posting , reveals that I am not against paying school taxes... not at all.
I am against the Permanent(voting) Residents being able to vote my property a tax liability that they are not responsible to pay themselves...
pretty simple..
Truly a situation of Taxation without representation.
or
Putting my money where their mouth is....
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
Beaver Island Gardens

Take it like a "man" John.

Post by Beaver Island Gardens »

If you were hung with a new rope you would still be complaining. Taxes in California must be low and fair, right?
esteger

Post by esteger »

Mr. Bolton: You may say that black is white, but that does not makes it so. "A careful reading of [your] posting" reveals that if people would do as you ask, the pupils of the BI school system would lose needed funding. If you have a problem with the Homestead Exemption or other legislative action, go to the legislature but not on the backs of the school children.
Incidentally I assume that you have planned your estate in such a way that the property tax on your property is not frozen for your heirs since I assume you would not think that is fair to present home buyers.
AEW

Post by AEW »

Here is a simple to read 4 page breakdown on the budget. Please closely read page 3-4.

http://www.munetrix.com/app_assets/docs ... 2-3919.pdf
AE Wirth
AEW

Post by AEW »

Crawford school near Traverse City K-8. 53 kids and 3 full time teachers.

Budget is $462,000 a year.

http://www.tbaisd.org/transparency-repo ... -crawford/
AE Wirth
AEW

Post by AEW »

Mackinaw Island School k-12. 72 students and 12 staff members.

http://www.munetrix.com/Michigan/School ... ic-Schools
AE Wirth