Information to the Beaver Island Community

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Deborah452

Post by Deborah452 »

Where's the thumbs up button?
Kathy Speck

Reply to sbsp

Post by Kathy Speck »

First, BICC is NOT Beaver Island Conservation Club. BICC IS NOT the Beaver Island Chamber of Commerce.
BICC IS the Beaver Island Christian Church - which has been in existence for decades.
I have never heard of MWAP (I must have missed that one).
We do, however, have the BIWC (Beaver Island Wildlife Club) which you did not even refer to.
Also, OCP could be many, many more people who live here on the Island year-round and have businesses here and work here and champion for Island causes besides the part-time resident and business owner you listed.
Kathy Speck- daughter of Harriet Rafferty (deceased), mother of Kerry (Speck) Smith (BI School Secretary and Athletic Director), grandmother of BI Community School Junior Jenna Battle, and sister of Nancy (Rafferty) Sommer (BI business owner-Daddy Franks) - who have ALL been at one time or another, very commendable and active members of the Beaver Island Community for at least 34 years.
Kathy Speck

Post by Kathy Speck »

Sorry about the technicalities - just making a point.
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

In the aftermath of the Peaine Township meeting, I have some thoughts I'd like to share. The NREC was a wonderful idea. An organization with the backing of the townships would have had a lot of credibility with the State and mainland organizations. Our intent was good, but our communication was poor and misunderstood. In our enthusiasm to get things done we didn't provide enough information so that the people completely grasped the ramifications and benefits of what we were trying to do. Unfortunately, the NREC will not learn from our mistakes and grow. To the Islanders, both on and off island, seasonal and permanent, who supported us, thank you for appreciating what we were trying to do. To those who opposed the NREC, I apologize for not making our goals clear and allowing enough dialogue and debate. Please believe that we were working in the best interest of the Island as we saw it. We were not anti-hunting or business, but wanted to protect and foster our precious and irreplaceable natural resources. The Island is home to some remarkable and rare ecosystems and has a wealth of biodiversity. In our eagerness to protect and save these features, we obviously alienated others with an equally passionate interest in the Island. This was our mistake and our downfall, but hopefully not the end of all of us trying to protect our precious Island.
Pam
McGrass
Pat Simmons

Post by Pat Simmons »

Message problems might have made the NRETC fall. Maybe lack of listening and understanding by others was worse. It's a step backward for the islands future in more than one way. And the way it went down could scare off people and groups that wanted to help. Too bad for everybody in the bigger picture.