FOR A CONSOLIDATED BEAVER ISLAND TOWNSHIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

islandliving

Re: FOR A CONSOLIDATED BEAVER ISLAND TOWNSHIP

Post by islandliving »

Great post Kathe, great point!!!!
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

How do the last two harassing posts help to a consolidation decision?
Kirk D. McBride
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Kirk,

Brad's and Ken's post were counter productive. Yet, you most likely knew that.

#-o
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Ken,

I am fairly certain that I do not have the power and control an island or it's destiny. (Ugh...)

f you go back and read the post I have written I don't feel you will see any negativity, actually you will see I have repeatedly asked for you and your buddies to stop being negative and attaching others. As far as my contributions to the island go, I choose to keep them private, other that the fat check in write for taxes twice a year, and that sir gives me a voice.

You wonder why people don't ask questions and participate? Twist and turn this anyway you want Ken
..but you came after me, you came after about every board member on this island at one time or another. Have a conversation without attacking...
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Sorry for the repetitive response but out if respect for Ken I am responding where he chose to post... unfortunately several places.

Ken,

Again please reframe from the name calling.

This is a great list and would be an awesome topic for the forum on volunteer opportunities for everyone. Contributing both financially and with time. I am not sure it is a consolidation topic however.

As far as what I do I am not sure where that is any of your business or concern. Typically when people volunteer or give money to causes they believe in they do it because they believe in the cause, not to boast. My husband and I are very private people when it comes to this topic. We have to give where our heart leads us. Not where someone attempts to shame us as you continue to do.

Perhaps someday when we retire to the island we will become more visably active in our volunteerism, but unfortunately right now we have another home and community we support as well. We also have a child that needs much of our time and attention and has become our focus on helping her prepare for her future. Raising a child with special needs is a full time job in itself and requires many resources both financially and emotionally.

See Ken, you don't know me, my life or what I deal with on a daily basis. Many on the island do, but I choose who I share my life with. I also don't know your life or your struggles. We all have them. And I respect that you will choose who you share with.

Please stop questioning my love for the island or my love and respect for the people that live and vacation there. That is very unfair of you. I do not question your commitment or love for the island. I welcome a call if you would like to discuss things further and encourage you to get back on topic.

Best regards

Kathe meade
517-414-4433
kathleen mcnamara

Post by kathleen mcnamara »

I am responding to Kathy Meade's 2 questions that were posted yesterday relative to the sewer system internal debt.

1. If there is debt in St. James and it is on a payout to be completed by 2020 will consolidation impact this? When will joint assets/liabilities be merged? Would consolidation shift this payback and burden tax payers more/less depending on where they live?
Consolidation will not impact the internal debt of the sewer system as the dollars to repay this are generated through the monthly fees assessed to current customers of the sewer system and not through general property taxes. For the last two years, an annual sewer rate study has been completed, and will continue to be completed, to analyze the system itself and it's financial obligations. Sewer rates are adjusted to allow the fund to meet ongoing expenses and remain solvent. Once the internal paybacks are completed, more money can be directed to the Capital Improvements account to build funds for future needs. I would like to clarify here that I made a typographical error in printing that this would be paid by 2020, the date should read 2021.

2. Ken implied the sewer system in St. James has issues. Is that true? Is there a plan in place to correct this? How is it funded? Does it impact the school and the safety of the kids? The safety of our waters and wildlife?
The sewer system itself is fully paid for, the bond (which was assessed only on those properties connected to the system) was paid off a year ago. There is no negative impact of the sewer to the school, the safety of the students, or the safety of our waters and wildlife. The sewer system was recently inspected and found to be in good shape and is well maintained and monitored by the township maintenance person.
Kitty McNamara
kittym@tds.net
BobTidmore

Post by BobTidmore »

Jpeg 1.jpg
Jpeg 1.jpg (633.34 KiB) Viewed 60010 times
BobTidmore

Post by BobTidmore »

Jpeg 2.jpg
Jpeg 2.jpg (412.06 KiB) Viewed 60015 times
BobTidmore

Post by BobTidmore »

Jpeg 3.jpg
Jpeg 3.jpg (335.43 KiB) Viewed 60015 times
BobTidmore

Post by BobTidmore »

Jpeg 4.jpg
Jpeg 4.jpg (278.67 KiB) Viewed 60015 times
pbona

Post by pbona »

Thank You Bob! This is the kind of response the issue requires. Interesting about the consolidation being a priority of both townships. The comparison with Melrose helps develop perspective.
Yours,
Patrick Bonadeo
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

Thank you Bob for your work. The comparisons really help to see the benefits of a consolidated island and what it would do for the taxpayer. Also, lot of people were very involved in the Master Plan, myself included, and to be able to accomplish one of the most important goals identified by the many tax-payers that had input on that document makes the work it took worthwhile!
burton
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

Bob -
Excellent job! Thank you for your work up and dedication to the Island's future.
Kirk D. McBride
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Regarding Page 1 of the proposed consolidated budget, both Beaver Island townships currently have nearly $1.9 million in their fund balances as of March. Any funds that are intended to accumulate money over a period of years to purchase high-cost capital items (fire trucks, road equipment, buildings, and other capital items) shouldn’t be a concern as long as a future investment plan is in place. A key operative term for having such a fund balance is to have a good plan outlining spending. These funds keep growing so many taxpayers could easily make a case that without a good 5 year plan outlining this spending, they are being over taxed without justification. This plan should either show how these excess funds will be used or a reduction in your millage rate should be considered.

When the Transfer Station Committee ceases to hold meetings, it is easy for taxpayers to be concerned about the $195,351 in taxpayers dollars they are sitting on.

One could argue to start with a new focus on one township-holding the elected officials and the shared entities accountable with a written plan. The status quo operations is not a effective way to manage taxpayers funds.
McGrass
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

Thank you Bill Kohls for supporting consolidation for Beaver Island.
Kirk D. McBride