FOR A CONSOLIDATED BEAVER ISLAND TOWNSHIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Andy's Grooming Barn

Re: FOR A CONSOLIDATED BEAVER ISLAND TOWNSHIP

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

I am sorry I was trying to explain why I responded there as that is what Richie was doing so I thought that was expected and was explaining that thinking you didn't understand me but clearly from what Richie is saying "he is the moderator" is that he has a different set of rules and thus will have hard time being able to monitor this topic effectively. So it would then make it hard for each side to be able to speak out and be able to be heard if the cons are only allowed to respond one way but the pros another, I thought Rickie was trying to set up an area where everyone could speak openly and long as respectfully, no wonder he says some are not comfortable signing their names and he has to post for them.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

Kitty - Thank you for your very thoughtful post. I believe that you have very importantly pointed out that we are one entity and to move forward we must look ahead, show respect for each other, and look for what we can do as residents of Beaver Island in any situation. I think that you address many of our concerns and our hopes for the future as well.

My opinion only - When I think of the island I cannot cut it in half. Can you? I care about it all! I think we all do and so do the people and organizations working to keep this island alive. The truth is that it seams hard for me to fathom the reason it is still considered different from one side to the other. We work to promote, create, and live together. I reside in Peaine but work, own property, and absolutely need St. James. There would be no need for me or my family to be here if I could not do all of the things that we do on both sides, from the 35 years and continuing the historic St. James Boat Shop, to the largest event bringing 1000's of new people each year to the Beaver Island Music Festival. To BEAVER ISlAND! Plus everything else in-between those that we do or have done. I am on both sides everyday. It is the port, the hub, the arrival point of visitors, residents, and it is where the journey begins. I cannot say my township. They are both my townships. I say Beaver Island, I promote Beaver Island, I live on Beaver Island, and I am here for my love of Beaver Island.

All of the negatives I have seen so far are matter of opinion not fact. It will be hard or can't be worked out or any of the other or's. It will be what we ask our officials to make it. Millages cannot be changed without the voter so it would be up to the elected board to see that it fell within those guidelines. It can and it would be a change. Will it be for the better in the end? Maybe! Will we have less elected officials? Yes! Will more options be open to us when more run for those positions? Yes! Will the elected officials have to want to do a great job for the Island? Yes. Will the current elected officials lose their job? Not unless they agree too. There are no guidelines that say the townships can't work together until the next election. Will more funding and opportunities be available to us? I believe so.

I am voting, in my opinion, to form a board that will see this through in the best interest for all of Beaver Island. If it passes we move forward and make it work for all of us. If it does not we keep forging ahead as it is. There are no in-between the two options. It is YES or NO. What ever the answer may be it is an opportunity for everyone to realize that there is public discord on the island with the way things are or we would not be going to the polls to answer this question. So whatever happens we all should look at the root of why this was wanted and what we can do to satisfy those core problems.

Thanks for listening I will not be back for any conversation about my opinion.

Carol
burton
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

Kudos to both Kitty and Carol for an in depth perspective delivered with clear and concise rhetoric.
Kirk D. McBride
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Nicely said Ken, a Peaine voter stopped me today and mentioned that they owned property and paid taxes in both townships. They do not understand what the difference is. I own property in both and feel the same. The truth there is no difference except for those complaining loudest and trying to keep their jobs regardless of what it costs the taxpayer. ](*,) Let's bring it to a vote! There is no other explanation. Someone (on here) said that the assets were or sorted or combined anyway so how could we save money? Seriously, by eliminating a duplicate board that shoves the paper back and forth between the "managing" township board. What? So if all things are equal we have two boards with combined effort managing one set of assets that could essentially be done by one board. My guess is that this alone could save island taxpayers up to 1/4 million a year! Someone sent me this earlier and bear in mind people there are many who email or call and are very concerned with harassment hence they ask that these be published:

"So we have two boards who own the same assets, someone defended this by saying one township or the other manages certain assets for all of us (on either side). So does that mean the other board sits back while one board does the work? Waste of money!"

Kitty McNamara and Carol Burton couldn't have made better comments. If we don't act together we will sink together! Remember the county commissioner who told me we would swing a bigger bat in asking for support if we were one, it only makes sense!

One Island One Township!
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

The beauty of Beaver Island envelops the entire Island with its diverse charm and activities for everyone. The face of Beaver Island for first time visitors and long time residents alike is the Harbor Area. What's good for the Harbor Area is good for the entire Island, the converse is also true. Let's come together as one township, one Island and share equally in everyone's prosperity and future.
Kirk D. McBride
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Good job Andy!!!! Great eye opener =D> =D>
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Andy's post in entirety...

Below are a portion of January 4, 2017 minutes for St. James township, if you will recall earlier on the forum Richie posted that all of this has been resolved but clearly it has not. I put in bold what I felt was important.

D R A F T - St. James Township Regular Board Meeting Minutes St. James Township Hall – 37735 Michigan Avenue, Beaver Island, MI 49782 January 4, 2017 – 7:00 p.m.

Board Members present: Kathleen McNamara, Alice Belfy, Diane McDonough, Travis Martin, Jeff Powers (via speaker phone). Board Members absent: None

The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m. and opened with the Pledge of Allegiance. Kitty read the agenda and asked the audience if anyone had anything to add. Bob Tidmore asked for Planning Commission appointment information.

Motion to approve the minutes from the December 7, 2016, meeting (JP), 2nd (AB), Approved.

Finance Report - There will be copies of the report in the future for the public. This summary has the basic information and the board liked the format. Per Board Resolution 2016-9-21 Repayment of Inter-fund borrowing from Street & Road Fund, the Sewer Fund will be paying the Street and Road Fund $31,700.30 for the period ended December 31, 2016, and $13,000.00 for each of the years beginning 2017 through 2021, for a total repayment of $96,770.30 from the Sewer Fund to the Street and Road Fund.

Motion (KM) for the following Resolution: “Resolved that the St. James Twp Board grant authority to the Treasurer to close the 2001 Special Assessment Bond Debt Retirement Fund account and transfer that account’s current balance ($3,140.57) to the Sewer Use Fund. Further, as the first installment of repayment to the Street and Road Fund, the SJT Board authorizes the Treasurer to transfer $20,000.00 from the Sewer Use Fund and $11,770.30 from the Sewer Capital Improvement Fund to the Street and Road Fund.” 2nd (AB). Motion approved. Kitty said she would like to have the board discuss and identify where the funds will come from for future years
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Let's begin a new era for Beaver Island-not divided by a designation of Peaine or St. James. One island community built on a transparent, efficient, respectful governance, and engaging the talents and passions of many property owners-voters or not.

For this island to succeed, we need a strong unified voice to address the needs that the two townships have been unable to address alone. Some of those issues being reliable broadband, improved cellular service, and improved boating access. We need one government speaking for Beaver Island, reaching out to mainland entities, and bringing back the very best to benefit this island community. With one voice, we will have more impact.

Of the 16 year round inhabited unbridged Great Lakes islands, we are the only island with two township governments. Yes, some islands have airports, sewer systems, transfer stations, towns and rural areas all represented by one township board. It works well on Drummond, Madeline, Washington, Les Cheneaux, and others. It can work here too. Many of you had an opportunity to talk with some of those island supervisors during last September's Great Lakes Islands Summit held on Beaver Island.

We believe that Beaver Island has an opportunity on May 8th to build a better and effective government structure than we have today for the benefit of all property owners and visitors. We need to move ahead or we will be left behind. We're voting yes for consolidation. :D
McGrass
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

1. If there is debt in St. James and it is on a payout to be completed by 2020 will consolidation impact this? When will joint assets/liabilities be merged? Would consolidation shift this payback and burden tax payers more/less depending on where they live?

2. Ken implied the sewer system in St. James has issues. Is that true? Is there a plan in place to correct this? How is it funded? Does it impact the school and the safety of the kids? The safety of our waters and wildlife?

Please understand, I ask because as an ISLAND tax payer I want to know. As a patron to St. James businesses I am concerned for them, and as a supporter of the economic growth and environmental impact I want to understand.
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Ken,

If you pay a bank 7k A year...is that a donation to the bank or a debt? That is not an internal debt. And an internal debt is still a debt btw...

https://youtu.be/N2ZFL6u6RFM

Better sharpen your pencil Ken.

Kathe
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

That is very generous of you Ken. Between the dock, sewer and others there is alot of debt left.

You attempted to dismiss my questions on sewer, which ironically you brought up before, so I reposted on a post thread created below.

Have a good night.

Kathe
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Kathe, Andy, Ken, STOP!! We are straying from the point here! Kathe, I checked with the supervisor months ago and asked if we had any long term debt, regardless of what your seemingly highly educated opinion is I was told no! A few thousand dollars would not seem to be a lot of debt to this writer or perhaps a combined township worth some 150 million dollars but it seems fodder for you and Andy (who should list herself as Supervisors Wife) to go on and on. We are looking at the best long term solution for Beaver Island's future, not Andy's, not Bill's, not Kens, nor Richie's but EVERYONES. Bills come in the mail every day! It's a moving target, it was explained and now let's move on. As far as THIS budget goes, it's an estimate, I feel the savings will far exceed the estimate, Bill was asked to present his, he did not, in fact I was told he stonewalled when asked for figures to prepare the posted budget. Enough on that! If you are against merging, go to the proper place and post your comments, if you are for merging you are at the proper place. To whomever suggested there isn't time to consider the gravity of merging or that there are too many questions, horse puckey! All we have is too much government!

FAIR WARNING, I AM DELETING SOME OF THE CRAP THAT DEVOLVED PRIOR TO THIS POST AND AM TELLING YOU NOW ANY POST OFF BASE WILL BE DELETED SO BE WARNED! FOR SOME OF YOU WHO ARE ABOUT SELF PRESERVATION, EVERYONE KNOWS IT. FOR OTHERS WHO HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO, PLEASE FIND SOMETHING! IF THERE ARE FINANCIAL QUESTIONS AND YOU WANT THEM ANSWERED IT WOULD BE CONSIDERED AGAINST MERGING SO POST APPROPRIATELY. FAIR WARNING. (KEN, THIS MEANS YOU TOO!)
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Richie I feel no need to sign my posts as supervisor's wife as obviously Mike feels no need to sign his as supervisor's husband. I am my own person with my own thoughts.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
BradG

Post by BradG »

Ken,

Thanks for your generosity to the island. I'm sure it is well appreciated by the recipients as well as the rest of us. You put your money where your mouth is. How many of the rest of us can say that?

Brad
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Not sure that was really fair Brad. You actually are devaluing Ken's gifts by belittling others. Many give to make the Island a wonderful place. Most just don't choose to announce it. Not choosing sides... Consolidation, no consolidation, friends, strangers, etc. Many many give in many ways. There is more ways to contribute than giving money. Time, talents, emotional support, prayers, acts of kindness happen daily. I don't live full time on the island, yet I am aware. So I imagine you are as well. Please give the people that live in this community more respect than that, they deserve it.