Unknown Website

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

islandliving

Re: Unknown Website

Post by islandliving »

DISHEARTENED

I wonder what the attitude of the Island would be if a group of people got together and said to the Islanders, let’s get together and have some meetings and discuss with the Island people the advantages of consolidating our townships. Also let’s get together and have some meetings of Islanders of replacing or creating a new Chamber. Maybe attitudes would be a little better if things like this were brought forward and not kept huge secrets. Maybe not so DISHEARTENED.

John McCafferty
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Agreed, the island needs publicity and growth, badly. But two chambers of commerce? Goes against the whole let's work together, for the greater good attitude..I think. Why not work with the existing chamber?

Tracey
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

How does "the whole let's work together" not work with one township yet does with one Chamber?
DC
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

I believe that chambers and townships are two totally different entities. Like comparing apples and oranges. AND it would seem same group that is pushing for consolidation is now starting their own chamber...hhhmmmm.

Tracey
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

I would agree that Chambers and townships could be considered apples and oranges but how can "let's work together" be disparate unless you are just tossing in bananas? I would go with "pushing" forward over dragging down any day.
DC
kanderson

Post by kanderson »

"I wonder what the attitude of the Island would be if a group of people got together and said to the Islanders, let’s get together and have some meetings and discuss with the Island people the advantages of consolidating our townships. Also let’s get together and have some meetings of Islanders of replacing or creating a new Chamber."

I think that already happened and thus a petition was circulated and it is on the ballot. If it is really not a good idea, then why would people vote for it? If you are that concerned about it, be the informer of why it is not a good idea face to face with island residents as you mentioned in the sentence above. Knock on doors, conduct your own meetings. The continued postings of the same repetitive nature here are doing nothing but making people more frustrated at you and a few other individual--and may even swing their vote to say yes to consolidation. Go personally ask the group who formed the petition and ask them your questions. If you can get answers and want to inform the forum users of NEW updates, feel free to share.

"AND it would seem same group that is pushing for consolidation is now starting their own chamber...hhhmmmm."

As many have said, the more promotion, the better. Please explain the cons of having two chambers? If that is even what someone or some group is trying to do. I know I stopped promoting my business in the chamber due to past unprofessional communication. No one or group needs to ask permission to start a petition or to start an initiative to open up a new chamber. It is part of how our democracy works. If it is true, starting a new chamber, there is a reason and it isn't just happening due to one unhappy resident or business, it is a group.

Below is some information from the Association of Chamber of Commerce Executives - https://secure.acce.org/about/chambers-of-commerce

"Chamber of Commerce:
A chamber of commerce is an organization of businesses seeking to further their collective interests, while advancing their community, region, state or nation....A business-led civic and economic advancement entity operating in a specific space may call itself any number of things – board of trade, business council, etc. – but for the purposes of this primer, they are all chambers of commerce....Chamber missions vary, but they all tend to focus to some degree on five primary goals: Building communities (regions/states/nations) to which residents, visitors and investors are attracted; Promoting those communities; Striving to ensure future prosperity via a pro-business climate; Representing the unified voice of the employer community; and Reducing transactional friction through well-functioning networks.....

Service Territory:
While a chamber’s name (trademarked) is usually drawn from its approximate territory (The Greater Lehigh Valley Chamber, or the Chicagoland Chamber), there are no rules governing the number of business-led economic advancement groups (chambers) that may exist in, or serve, a given plot of land. Just within the city limits of Chicago, there are more than 20 chambers of commerce and similar organizations. Even where a county or regional chamber has been incorporated and established over generations, there may be dozens of local and town chambers operating independently within that same turf.

Why are there so many chambers? Historical circumstances, population fluctuations, differing ambitions and the needs of employers have all played a role in the formation of chambers. At the time many chambers were established, geographic isolation underscored the need for separate organizations to represent local business and community issues. While developments in infrastructure, transportation and communications over the past century have better linked businesses with their peers in neighboring communities and even foreign countries, the chambers that represent those businesses have remained viable and vital institutions. Without a valid purpose, chamber’s boards, members and funders would have abandoned them long ago.

As suburban and exurban populations blossomed, new chambers sprung up to promote the interests of business in those communities. In some cases, a crisis such as a hurricane, or an opportunity, like attracting a rail connection or promoting an airport expansion, has led to the formation of a chamber that remains viable for decades. New chambers have also been formed out of disagreements or disgruntlement about the direction, position or focus of an existing chamber. "
Kayla Anderson
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

William Kohls and others, have shown the numbers and answered questions for the case against the consolidation. Visit the website in previous posts. However, no such information has been forthcoming from the group that petitioned to get it on the ballot.

The only meeting, that I am aware of, to inform the public on this subject, was cancelled because the pro-consolidation group could not come up with anyone to speak on their behalf. Very unfortunate, now a radio meeting?? Who knows if that will happen either.

As far as the chamber goes, starting a new one? I guess if you don't agree with something, instead of going through channels, getting on existing boards Ect., just start your own. At this point, with so many new websites, forums, facebook pages, and chambers, visitors and residents will not to know where to go for information.

Tracey
kanderson

Post by kanderson »

Tracey, since you pushed the chamber's post on what is going on with them, it is very clear of the fuss and theory on a "new" chamber. Since you and whoever will not come out and say it, it is coming out to be a fight between the two airlines and each who sides with who. I had forgotten Rachel T (Fresh Air) was the new president (as I just remembered since you pushed up their post) and of course the "group" that started the township merging petition that includes the Welkes, and as you stated are part of the same group accused of starting a new chamber.

If you truly want what is best for the island, think for yourself and stop with the personal and biased opinions. Here I am thinking you guys were concerned over another chamber because of real valid reasons. Stupid me.
Kayla Anderson
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Well Kayla, I would not assume to know you, as you don't know me. You are connecting some interesting dots, but I am merely asking questions, not presuming I know the motives of others, as you seem to. You are so passionate about these subjects, I assume you will be at the polls this May? I will be.

Tracey
kanderson

Post by kanderson »

No, actually I won't, as I changed my driver's license address this past year, but I will again in the future unless I am buried next to my grandfather who resides in the Catholic cemetery, right next to my grandparents house. I would love to be there as my interest in the island goes beyond the political polls with family roots much older than you and I combined, but that is not how it works. I don't see any good in this thread, except for Sheri's post, and I think Richie should delete the whole thing.
Kayla Anderson
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

I have just read through this thread, which was my choice and if somebody isn't interested in it I guess then they should just not bother to read it as there is freedom of speech and I really haven't seen, as some had said, that John or Tracey have been attacking or being mean although others on this thread seem to be and I guess I am not sure why. For example Meg made a comment about me and I hadn't even made a comment on this thread, must be I am just on her mind :D .

I am not sure who is all responsible for the plan for the "second chamber" but I guess since we have several businesses listed with the chamber this does concern me. Would I then have to pay to be on two chambers to make so my businesses get the attention from visitors because if not they might just look at one site and it would happen to not be the one I am listed on. I would be curious what they are dissatisfied with on the current Chamber and if there were changes that could be made to rectify it. I personally have been happy with the chamber and appreciate the hard work the board and Steve have done but it doesn't mean that other might have some legitimate complaints. The other issue is if businesses split on two chambers then there isn't as much money in the pool to be able to work with for major advertising. I don't know who wants the second chamber but had they just thought about maybe applying for the position because if they start up another chamber they will be doing the same job anyways.

So now we are looking at one township and 2 chambers what next people? Try talking and working together. The two township board work together on issues, although some try to insinuate that they don't trust me board members from St.James township call my house all of the time and Bill and them talk and get a long fine, but you have individuals that have issue but are not talking. Go have a cup of coffee and try talking to some of these people and work together to solve your differences instead of I am going to take all my marbles and go home.

Just my two cents I am sure others will not agree and will attack me but I hope some have an open mind and think about this.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
kanderson

Post by kanderson »

Andy, thank you for the info. I appreciate where you are coming from and your points.
Kayla Anderson
kanderson

Post by kanderson »

Also, where did the concern or idea come from that there will be a second chamber? From a website that is only a URL? Is it actually happening or fluff?

The freedom to read the thread is as you mentioned, a person's choice, but it is also not a lawfully regulated site as far as I know, and the people who run it could delete, add whatever and whoever they want. The moderator had mentioned that the repetitive posts of the same content will not be tolerated. But, oh well. It is what it is. Or he is what he is :lol:
Kayla Anderson
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Since you and whoever will not come out and say it, it is coming out to be a fight between the two airlines and each who sides with who.

Kayla can you explain this statement you made I am very confused again.

John McCafferty
kanderson

Post by kanderson »

I'm also confused and not going any further on trying to figure it out or understand. I hope everything works out for the best of the island now and in the future.
Kayla Anderson