New Charlevoix Airport Terminal cost to Beaver Is.

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Tina Walker

Post by Tina Walker »

I just want to say that it is very unrealistic to state or even hope that the operating costs would be the same.
jmcbain2

Post by jmcbain2 »

Don, I do believe Ben because he is my employee and would not lie to me. I will believe the story that Ben sends to me that I publish in the newspaper rather than the word of some unknown person on a web forum.
Denise McDonough

Airport terminal

Post by Denise McDonough »

Wow! If only I knew where the FFA and the state got their money..... Hmmm...
Denise McDonough

Post by Denise McDonough »

OOPS! 1st time posting. I meant FAA.
DON

Post by DON »

The FAA gets their money from aviation fuel taxes so that is not the problem. The problem is the operational cost and if either of the present Charter operatons will be using the building.

To the person that employs Ben. You better check him out because he is wrong. All you need to do is call the Charlevoix City Hall to get the facts. I am only the messenger and have nothing to gain in posting this but thought it was fair that the people on Beaver Island know what is going on because it affects all of you. No matter who you fly with, if the cost of using the airport goes up the cost of flying to Beaver Island will go up.

I have alerted you of the situaton and will now back out of this before someone wants to blame the messenger. Good luck
Kim Connaghan Jones

Post by Kim Connaghan Jones »

removed
Last edited by Kim Connaghan Jones on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmcbain2

Post by jmcbain2 »

megsing3

Post by megsing3 »

wow - it never ends...

From the article: Straebel said if Charlevoix does not take the money, it will simply go to another city.

Sounds good! I would venture to say that there are plenty of communities in the state who could find better use for the money than Charlevoix.

I have never seen so many pop ups and advertisements than on the Currier website. Website is just as frustrating as following the insane and flagrant plans and happenings of the Beautiful City.
jmcbain2

Post by jmcbain2 »

Meg â?? even though we are giving you information from our newspaper for free through our web site, we still have bills to pay. Advertising is one way we can do this. The site is scheduled for a redesign though.
kerriegillespie

Post by kerriegillespie »

And the current terminal is so inadequate, it necessitates a fireplace and a second floor? Like i said---i'm appalled. Just because the FAA will "give" us their "free money," the tricky part is, it's NOT free! It comes from somewhere. A new building isn't needed. I would guess that a simple-minded few want it, along with their materialistic counterparts. I vote for resourcefulness, and identify with the cliche quote, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it."
Kerrie Consuela Gillespie

"At the end of the day, who you are is completely up to you."
Pat Simmons

Post by Pat Simmons »

I don't see what all the fuss is about, frankly. If anything, the City Council should expand its plans for the Charlevoix Airport to include a megaplex cinema, laundromat, upscale spa, and perhaps an Arby's. (Now before everyone jumps on my case for suggesting that, know that I'm perfectly willing to see a Subway go in there instead. I'm not inflexible. A Subway restaurant, I mean--not an actual subway...on the other hand...hm.)

And as long as we're thinking big, because bigger is always better, let's pencil in a four-level parking garage and a bowling alley. God knows having some entertainment there might lessen the long waits passengers must endure at the terminal.

I hope these suggestions have been helpful! See you at the new Airport.
Keith Szczepanski

Post by Keith Szczepanski »

William Carlisle wrote:A lot of good discussion about Charlevoix's plans for a new terminal that will obviously increase costs for everyone. No one has mentioned that the same plans (new terminal etc) is in the works for the Beaver Island airport. The Beacon had published information several months ago and it did not provoke any discussion. Why not?

Good question.
thenomads

Post by thenomads »

Keith Szczepanski wrote:
William Carlisle wrote:A lot of good discussion about Charlevoix's plans for a new terminal that will obviously increase costs for everyone. No one has mentioned that the same plans (new terminal etc) is in the works for the Beaver Island airport. The Beacon had published information several months ago and it did not provoke any discussion. Why not?

Good question.
Why not? Because look at the terminal on BI. Compare it to the one already in Charlevoix. I have never seen "standing room only" in the Charlevoix terminal, I have in the BI terminal. With the second air service to BI, Fresh Air Aviation, we need a larger terminal. Not a restaurant or bowling alley, just a bigger waiting room and a place for the pilots to sit besides the public waiting room, a doorway that's wide enough to get the luggage cart through, and a few other things that the staff there could tell you about. These are just the obvious needs.
Keith Szczepanski

Post by Keith Szczepanski »

Why not? Because look at the terminal on BI. Compare it to the one already in Charlevoix. I have never seen "standing room only" in the Charlevoix terminal, I have in the BI terminal. With the second air service to BI, Fresh Air Aviation, we need a larger terminal. Not a restaurant or bowling alley, just a bigger waiting room and a place for the pilots to sit besides the public waiting room, a doorway that's wide enough to get the luggage cart through, and a few other things that the staff there could tell you about. These are just the obvious needs.
I don't live in Charlevoix or Charlevoix county so my opinion doesn't "count" according to this situtation.In general though I was just curious why noone had much to say when this was considered only an "on-island" upgrade.I'm not a pilot so I don't know what they feel they need.As a customer, I've been driving for x amount of hours so I can stand up for the 20 to 40 minutes.That's all I'm saying.
Rose Gallagher

Post by Rose Gallagher »

Is there some type of cryptic message in these posts relative to the BI airport and the airport committee expenditure of tax dollars?
Something does not sound right.