Pine River Cable Co.

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

esteger

Pine River Cable Co.

Post by esteger »

We are summer residents. We have been here most of the summer (our 45th year), but left for about three weeks returning today. We are subscribers to Pine River Cable Co. for our cable TV. We turned on the TV this evening to find a blank screen except for the following message: "Unauthorized subscriber. Call 866-369-9013." We called the number only to find our it is Direct TV. The person I spoke with could not help me because I was not a subscriber.

I called Pine River Cable and was told that Direct TV was their program provider, but had canceled their service. They apologized about the short notice, but said we would have to find a new TV provider.

What is going on? What are our options? We have both telephone and internet service through TDS. Do they provide cable TV on the Island?

Any information or thoughts? Thanks!
Kim Connaghan Jones

Post by Kim Connaghan Jones »

You can get a package deal through TDS for phone internet and dish for a good price.Catch is you have to pay for the guy to fly over and back to have it set up.I also heard there is another company you can get cable from but I'm sorry I haven't gotten all the details yet.Maybe someone that has that info can post it.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Last I heard, two days ago is that the cable system will be shut down within the next few days....very sad.........I think those that thought this up in the first place should be accountable to getting everyone connected only to have them let down because they did not think ahead. Anyone else??
Kim Connaghan Jones

I agree Richie.I just got cable from this company in June,hardly worth the trouble.
mcdonoughdiane

Satellite TV

Post by mcdonoughdiane »

You can call TDS which is Dish Network- 1-800-610-2256
or the other option is DirecTV- 1-800-280-4388. You can also go to their web sites for package prices.

Diane McDonough
Frank Solle

Post by Frank Solle »

There is an even better option to solving this dilemma. Just don't do TV!

What is there to watch on it anyway? Listen to NPR for your news. Read a newspaper. Get information on-line. The library has free movies for loan. NetFlix isn't that expensive. Share DVDs with friends. Make your own movie.

Or â?¦ read a book, walk a beach, watch the sunset, listen to jazz, ride a bike, bake some cookies, visit your neighbors, play a game, paddle a canoe/kayak, row a boat, tell a story, do a jigsaw puzzle/crossword/sudoku, play a musical instrument, go to a movie/concert at the community center, take a midnight/moonlight skinny dip, learn to paint/draw/sketch/knit/quilt/crochet/macrame/tat/carve/whittle/whistle/juggle/ you name it â?¦
JohnAckermann

DirectTV now provides service by appointment - No fee

Post by JohnAckermann »

If at one time there was a charge to fly over the service tech, we have discovered on our last two service calls this is no longer the case, at least for our particular service calls.

If you elect to use Direct TV, locate their service number (hopefully, 1-800 toll free) and request a service appointment with some advance notice. While there seems to be a repeated lack of detail coordination in the customer service office with the technicians, the technicians themselves who've come out have been extraordinarily helpful, resourceful, and creative in solving the logistics of dish placement, both on the roofline and "down in the woods" for line of sight reception. You may need to be flexible as far as picking the tech reps up at the air field, hauling them to their next island appointment, or picking up a ladder or misc. stored around town.

I'm not particularly endorsing DirectTV over other providers or worthy activities, but I do enjoy the occasional "House" episode re-run or "Deadliest Catch" installment watching Captain Phil hollerin' at his boys, again ... :lol:

Jody Ackermann
Stephen C. West

Post by Stephen C. West »

NorthernIslander subscribers learned by E-NewsFlash this morning:

"......The rep (Pine River) went on to say that theyâ??d tried to contact customers, but then changed her story and said that she had just learned about discontinuing services that very morning. She gave no reason that service had been cut ............."

"DIRECTV has filed a lawsuit against a McBain, Michigan man, alleging that he fraudulently redistributed DIRECT TV programming to hundreds of customers over a cable system ............"

"The complaint filed in the US District Court of Western Michigan alleges that a John Metzler, the owner/operator of Pine River Cable, ..............."

The full indepth story will be in the Oct. NorthernIslander. NewsFlash service is available to all NorthernIslander subscribers.

Now we know WHY Pine River cut service in such a manner. :roll: NEWS vs rumor. :D
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Hmmm, Beaver Island made the news :|

http://www.cedmagazine.com/News-DirecTV ... 90409.aspx

The dozens of pickups of the business wire article don't mention BI specifically
http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/da ... nelID=3191
http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/04/ther ... ting-dire/
whennen

Option

Post by whennen »

You can go with either Dish or Directv.

I will say Directv does not make anyone pay for transportation to the island at ANY TIME even for service calls now or in the future.

And you get all Locals for free in High-Definition!

Packages start at 29.99 (This price doesn't change even after a year)
All rooms are installed with HD capability at NO EXTRA CHARGE!
You can pay Dish $10.00 for access to 55 hd channels, or you can add HD access for the same $10.00 dollars and get access to over 130 HD channels

Call 1-866-554-8018 and use promo code: 11675

Thanks!
Michael Whennen
(231) 838-5921 - Call me directly if you have any questions.
Last edited by whennen on Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmurph

Post by jmurph »

DISH Network has a special offer where you can lock in a special for a year. It's $24.99 per month for a year. It includes over 120 top channels including local channels. Free HBO and Showtime for 3 months. Free DVR upgrade. HD receivers for up to 3 TVs. Add 55 HD channels for just $10 per month. You can call DISH Network by AEI to sign up, get all your questions answered and schedule installation. 1-877-FOR-MYTV. That's 1-877-367-6988. Tell them you heard about it in the beaverbeacon .com forum.

AEI is a authorized DISH local sales and service provider. They have a local service office in Traverse City. Right now they are not charging to get over to the island for new installations.
________
Toyota publica sports specifications
Last edited by jmurph on Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Hello, I have a flyer that says you can get a hook up for 19.99 for a year with a 2 year hookup? And, as many as 3 receivers, what is going on???
Jeff

Re: Option

Post by Jeff »

whennen wrote:NO EXTRA CHARGE!
Just be very careful that you read all the tiny print on the front and back of the directv invoice / contract-- for example, do you have to return any rebate card(s) that you may or may not get to get the rate promised over the phone...
Kim Connaghan Jones

I was told I would get all the channels I got with Pine River plus a few more with Direct TV.I got more channels alright,but not many of the basic channels I had with Pine River or that you would get with other companies.If you like sports and religion,the Direct TV basic package is great.Otherwise don't waste your money.
ertimm

Post by ertimm »

Just another thought on this subject:

We called Pine River and discussed their direction. It is our understanding that The company is in the process of being taken back from the original owners.

The asset of cable to the home is a good asset for local content delivery. Based on other markets do not expect to get local content of local media through Dish, direct, and/or dsl. Cable and wifi typically is the only medium that can support local content.

So the cable infrastructure may have good value for Beaver Island. We are attempting to find out more details of this asset and it's availability

This does not help the immediate situation but for the long term having a cable asset could possibility benefit the Islands infrastructure