The Mary Margaret

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Angel Welke

The Mary Margaret

Post by Angel Welke »

I purchased a series of films / home movies (16mm) set on Beaver Island. They were for sale on E-Bay but there was no additional documentation. Paul and I are trying to identify the time period without much luck. When did the Mary Margaret run? She has been shown twice. The cars are 1930s into 1940s era. I have this film (about 45-60 minutes) on DVD if anyone is interested in a copy.
Joyce

B. I. Films

Post by Joyce »

An article in the Charlevoix Courier, October 13, 1948 states that the "Mary Margaret" was sold to the Arnold Transit line - so if that is the boat in the films, they had to have been taken before that, I would say. Phil Gregg and Harry Bartels made their first trip to B. I. on the Mary Margaret in the summer of 1940 - and the dates of her service is no doubt available from the Historical Society.

I hope we at the Museum will be able to view the films. They should be very interesting!!
BIHS volunteer
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

The Mary Margaret was built the year after the American Girl in Bay City Michigan (1923). As far as I know she is still in service down in Illinois, someone can correct this if they know. The following link only follows her to the Apostle Islands. http://ul.bgsu.edu/cgi-bin/xvsl2.cgi
Angel Welke

Post by Angel Welke »

Thanks for the information Richie. I had the film converted from 16mm to CD. I am working on getting copies of the CDs made. I will get one to the historical socieity.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Gillespie wrote:The Mary Margaret was built the year after the American Girl in Bay City Michigan (1923). As far as I know she is still in service down in Illinois, someone can correct this if they know. The following link only follows her to the Apostle Islands. http://ul.bgsu.edu/cgi-bin/xvsl2.cgi
Topic came up in 2005. It was renamed the Chippewa still in service in Maine.
http://www.beaverbeacon.com/forum/viewt ... sc&start=0

Sean McDonough

Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Roland Cull reminded me that Jim Willis sailed on the Mary Margaret for a good many years with, amongst others, Lawrence Feindt. He should be interviewed to collect the history as well as other island stories he has brought up to me. He has a lot of information that should be collected!
Joyce

B. I. Films

Post by Joyce »

Thanks, Angel, for giving a copy of the CD to the Historical Society.
Joyce
BIHS volunteer
Michelle LaFreniere

Post by Michelle LaFreniere »

My mom told me last night that in the Beaver Island History, Volume One it says that my Uncle LeRoy Allers started sailing the Mary Margaret in 1937..
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

This is the last recorded change of ownership according to the HGCL site:

Vessel Name MARY MARGARET
Nationality U.S. Official Number 223348
Rig Propeller
Dimensions and Tonnage
Vessel Length: 61.42 feet. Gross Tonnage: 60.00
Vessel Width: 17.75 feet Net Tonnage: 26.00
Vessel Depth: 6.50 feet Hull Material: Steel
Masts: Hull Number: 00069

Item Number: 004724
Vessel Image Unvailable
Image Size: 42397 bytes
Vessel History
Builder Defoe Boat and Motor Works Bay City, MI 1923
Ownership Changes Date Registry Official #

Philip R. Eaglesfield
St. Joseph, MI U.S. 1923- 1936 U.S. 223348

Hazel M. Allers
Charlevoix, MI U.S. 1936- 1947 U.S. 223348

Leroy Allers
Charlevoix, MI U.S. 1947- 1948 U.S. 223348

Arnold Transit Co.
Mackinac Island, MI U.S. 1948- 1962 U.S. 223348

Robert S. Weber
Bayfield, WI U.S. 1962- 1976 U.S. 223348

Apostle Islands Cruise Service
Bayfield, WI U.S. 1976- 1978 U.S. 223348

Apostle Islands Outfitters
Bayfield, WI U.S. 1978 U.S. 223348

Vessel Name Changes Date Registry Official #

CHIPPEWA 1949 U.S. 223348

Rebuilds Tonnage change, 1941 (55 gross - 31 net). Tonnage change, converted to passenger vessel, 1950 (54 gross - 37 net).

History No Vessel History Available

Disposition No Disposition Information Available
South Shore

Post by South Shore »

The BGSU site is notoriously incorrect/incomplete on info.

Mary Margaret started out as a "fruit boat", like the "North Shore" did. She was not much of a looker, but Allers fixed her up, including an upper deck cabin and new pilot house. The lower deck was enclosed more as well. LeRoy picked up the "North Shore" from Washington Island, WS as the second boat, but her size, design and speed made her the better boat. When he gave up ownership, the "North Shore" remained and "Mary Margaret" went to Mackinac Island - not uncommon. "Bainbridge" and "Emerald Isle" both went to Arnold Line as well.

Arnold Line had a tradition of Indian tribe names for their vessels, so she was renamed "Chippewa" - and retains the name to this date. Some of the older folk told stories how she'd start rolling 3 days before a storm would hit. I have pictures of her when they'd run in the winter and load/unload right on the ice off the island school. When the "new" Chippewa was built, ATCo sold her, and she went off to the Apostle Islands where her upper works were cut off and all that remained was the steel hull.

I don't have all my info with me, but she was sold to Steve Pagels of Maine, where he refurbished her, giving her a more traditional 20s/30s steamer feel, as you can see in the postcard above. He sold her a few years ago, but she is still on the East Coast operating. If I track down a website, I'll post it.
Sean Whelan
Sean

Post by Sean »

The Chippewa is at House Island, Maine...A little digging found her.

http://houseislandmaine.com/gallery/chippewa

Sean McDonough