Advice on Building on the Island

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Owens935

Advice on Building on the Island

Post by Owens935 »

Hello all!

I am hopefully going to be buying some land on the island this year and it has been a dream of mine to build my retirement home there. Now I am young, and it will take years before I am ready to build but I was wondering if anyone has any advice about building there. I have some general questions. For example, is it harder to build on the south end of the island due to the wetlands? How hard is it in the summer to get the ferry to bring across materials? How are the taxes? I've heard different opinions on property taxes but I have looked them up and they seem reasonable as compared to where I live (that is including the home as a secondary even though my goal is to move there).

My dream is to have a little home on the lake that is a part of nature rather than a giant mansion. Not that there is anything wrong with big houses, it is just not for me. I love this island and I want to learn as much as I can so If anyone has any info they would like to share I would appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,
R
skasbaum

Re: Advice on Building on the Island

Post by skasbaum »

I sent you a private message, check for that!
shawkins10

Re: Advice on Building on the Island

Post by shawkins10 »

Check out Font Lake--close to town, good internet and cell phone reception, but few homes on the lake so at times it feels as if the lake is all yours.When building choose low maintenance materials so you can spend your time enjoying nature instead of painting, etc. Good luck. Your dream sounds like ours that we've enjoyed for almost 20 years.