Seeking Well Water Laundry Tips

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Lachiesa

Seeking Well Water Laundry Tips

Post by Lachiesa »

Hello! Hope this is ok to post here. I’m new to well water and looking for tips on how to avoid getting random yellow stains on WHITE laundry. (I’m not having much luck). And once they do appear, how to rid of them (bleach and stain sprays haven’t always helped). Are they avoidable? What products/methods have you tried and have had success with? (ie. Oxiclean for Bright Whites, Rust or Iron products, vinegar, soaking, etc..). I think cold temperatures are better than warm, right? Appreciate any help. Thank you!!
BobTidmore

Re: Seeking Well Water Laundry Tips

Post by BobTidmore »

Sounds like you have iron in your water like us. We installed a Water Boss water softener and it solve the iron problem for us.
skasbaum

Post by skasbaum »

I have experienced that as well and especially with our rental. I use Oxyclean and soak in a couple of gallons of distilled water and then wash. Oxyclean is apparently also a very safe cleaning product to be putting in the septic. The worst yellow stains for our rental come from a chemical in most suntan lotions. I read that it won't stain with city water but any well water, regardless of the minerals in it, will cause the stain. I believe suntan lotion for children and infants does not have the chemical. Good luck!
Richards

Post by Richards »

IRON OUT

This is an amazing product!

Sheri Richards - B.I. Resident Associate Broker
"Welcoming neighbors, one sale at a time."
Real Estate One
sscreven

Post by sscreven »

There is a product called "Rain Drops" which acts as a water softener available at the grocery store. I haven't had the problem of stained whites since I started adding it to my laundry.