TDS ouch

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

pbona

TDS ouch

Post by pbona »

Hi Islanders,
I am hooking up my annual phone and internet, and am appalled at the $90+/month costs through TDS. Any viable/reliable/cheaper alternatives? Year before last $60, last year $78. Any suggestions to get a better rate from TDS? My cell service was non existent on Sand Bay last year, so no go there.
Thanks in advance.
Pat B.
Gillespie

Re: TDS ouch

Post by Gillespie »

We have Verizon and it seems to work down past Hannigan although I haven't tried it in your driveway. :-({|=
pbona

Post by pbona »

Thanks Ritchie, unless they did some upgrades, my cottage seems to be in a cellular black hole.
FYI I just did some horse trading with TDS and got this quote:
Data Service
$34.95
Mach - 36 Month Promo Non-HCA
$34.95
Voice Service
$27.05
Federal Subscriber Line Charge
$6.50
Phone Line - Unlimited Local Calling
$17.55
Access Recovery Charge (ARC)
$3.00
TOTAL
$62
PLUS INSTALL FEES FOR Data and Voice
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

If your phone service is say, with ATT, they have a box that runs off the internet which should preclude you having to pay for a "phone", you have to complain to ATT that your cell won't work pretty much a mile from their tower and they should give it to you!
stardust

Post by stardust »

I have a Verizon hot spot which i run my phone and internet off of works good 50 a month unlimited
Mebersoldt

Post by Mebersoldt »

I haven't been able to find any recent discussion regarding cellular service providers. I am wondering if there has been any improvement in options. We are on the the west side of the island and TDS has been woefully inadequate. I am wondering what people think of AT&T or satellite services. We are looking for local calling and WiFi, primarily. Thoughts?