What? no EMS starting next Tuesday?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

jacquel

What? no EMS starting next Tuesday?

Post by jacquel »

Maybe putting this in the headline will attract more attention than previous posts "A decision is needed" and other older posts. If this doesn't grab everyone's attention I don't know what will.

Word on the street is that next Tuesday we will no longer have an EMS on Beaver Island, nor Advancd Life support nor Air ambulance service through Welke's. Is this a result of mismanagement or a lack of management?

Joe Moore submitted his retirement plans almost two years ago, and yet is still working because little or no effort has been made to replace him. We must have a paramedic on Island to support the advanced life support rig. No paramedic, no life support rig. No EMS no air ambulance. Get the picture. What is happening? Why are the townships not on top of this? Why hasn't the public known about this most recent development until now? BIA, what can you do? Was this discussed at your meeting? Did you know about it?

Get your ire up folks, but keep your blood pressure in check, because there won't be an EMS service to help you if you have a heart attack.
pam moxham

Post by pam moxham »

thanks Jacque..I re surfaced the old posts in case the one or two people on the island who did not know of this situation could "read all about it ".I then (laboriously!) typed an updated post. I am a techno twit AND never learned to type...apparently I deleted it rather submit it .

Meanwhile.........Joe is retired ( 7/2/16).Two years in the making ...very well deserved .I feel he did not get the respect/recognition due him. We had help from brian ( ohio medic who helped at times ) and bob( from boyne city) who is here for one more week.

SO ...we have NO permanent MEDIC working on BI NOW.

AS of 6am 7/18/16 (Monday not Tuesday) when bob's shift is over so is BI ALS .

We had a two person board ESA ( Emergency Services Authority). Later board was increased to 5 members ..we (thank you paul and Angel) gained an air ambulance also we ( thank you brad for your assist) are gaining a "new " used ambulance..due to arrive soon.
My comments reflect my opinion ..not necessarily that of EMS.We had the ESA to oversee us , look how much that helped.I have to think several folks on ESA board would have to be dis enchanted with some of the other Board members for their lack of action.Again , my opinion.

I am angry and sad This was avoidable .There was inaction or aussie phrase I like SBA ( sweet bugger all ) done .Unless a Medic arrives ( ie wants to stay) it is done, 0600 Monday july 18th , beaver island will no longer have Advanced Life Support...yes there will be Basic .I'm not even getting into that .

Pam Moxham . RN.MFR.
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Calls should be made to the township supervisors: Bill Haggard and Bill Kohls. The buck stops with the township boards as our elected officials. I'm not sure why this situation has festered and not been brought to the public's attention but it should have certainly come up at a township meeting. :?
McGrass
Sue Avery

Post by Sue Avery »

Thanks Jacque for starting a new thread with an attention grabbing headline. I posted under ""A Decision Needed" partly because I was tired after a long day, and the brain was not firing on all cylinders, so thank you.

This is a very serious situation because no paramedic = no ALS = no air ambulance = not a good outcome for anyone who has a serious medical emergency.

Thank you Pam G. for your suggestion. I will be calling the township supervisors this morning.

Pam M. You are right, I don't think Joe has been given the recognition due to him.

As I said in my other post, this is totally unacceptable The fact that this has been allowed to happen in the first place, and that we are only finding out that nothing has been done to fix the problem is just mind blowing!
pam moxham

Post by pam moxham »

peaine twp hall 2pm Thursday july 14th ( tomorrow) ESA mtg to discuss future of EMS on BI