Roads on Your Mind

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

WVBI

Roads on Your Mind

Post by WVBI »

We've had plenty of reports (and seen for ourselves) that our island roads are getting pretty rough. Listen today at 9 and in our current events updates (after our FSN global news updates at noon, 3:00 and 6:00) for a report on our discussion with the director of the Charlevoix County Road Commission about what's going on with the roads and when we can expect them to improve. That and lots of community news on WVBI FM 100.1 and www.wvbi.net.
AEW

Post by AEW »

Funny you mention this. My windshield has actually has shaken free at the bottom a couple days ago on my Island vehicle.

Imagine a paved road from 4 corners towards Island Airways that goes all the way down East Side drive to Iron Ore Bay. Then continues along Iron Ore Bay over to West Side drive and all the way back up to Paid En Ogg road back to Kings Highway. Then pave from the Paid En Ogg/Westside dr intersection North up Donnel Mors lane to the Township Airport. Also pave McCauleys between Kings Hwy and East side drive.

I would like to see the annual cost of maintaining the roads I just mentioned. What is the 20 year cost to maintain those roads I just mentioned? Fuel, labor, dust control, gravel, crews from Charlevoix, vehicle and equipment purchase and maintenance etc. I assume the number is pretty high. What would be the long term savings from having those roads paved?

Everyone loves the dirt road experience here. I get it. But the Island can have a balance of both with cost effective durable low maintenance roads and old dirt roads.

Every time I see a truck maintaining the road I see dollars wasted, All that money, fuel and time fixing something that the next big rain will wash away. The Road Crew guys do a damn good job with what they got but they have to much to maintain.

Dirt roads are not environmentally healthy and are deemed a public health hazard by the EPA for small particulate dust pollutants.

The Island would still have plenty of dirt roads on Barneys Lake Rd, Fox Lake Rd, Mrs Reddings Trail, Bonners, Buff Kett, Greens Lake, Hannigans, Sloptown, Eagle Hill and others.

Just my thoughts.
Last edited by AEW on Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
AE Wirth
megsing3

taking a moment...

Post by megsing3 »

http://www.beaverbeacon.com/forum/viewt ... +side+road
Just taking a moment to look at some positive.
This was from the middle of summer.
AEW

Post by AEW »

Yup, the road guys can make it look pretty good for a bit. But nature still wins. About 2 weeks after that post megsing we had heavy rains and it went right back to a pitted washboard like before. All that time and money was washed away like it has before over and over and over again.
AE Wirth
stardust

Wash boards

Post by stardust »

If people would slow down there wouldn't be so many wash boards
AEW

Post by AEW »

I wish it was that easy. The washboard effect has nothing to do with speed. Its a physics thing. The only way to stop them is to either don't drive on the road at all or pave it. If we did have the main roads paved it would free up road crews to better maintain the dirt roads. Another cool thing about a paved loop around the island is that it makes a perfect course for a 26 mile marathon and also could attract more motorcycle riders to the island.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... aved-roads
AE Wirth