No Internet

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

medic5740

No Internet

Post by medic5740 »

The island is without Internet since about 10:30 am 11/27.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Yes, there was a few hour outage on the South End / East Side within the week with a similar symptom (then the modem was simply "connecting" and lost and wouldn't get a WAN IP address), but that came back within a few hours. DSL went down here at 10:12 am this morning. With the DSL down today, it has certainly been a slowdown today.

At 6:30 I pestered TDS again and
TDS Support Chat wrote:The techs are still out there working on the DSA that is down. They didn't put an estimated time for the repair which usually means they expect to have it repaired today.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

TDS support had no updates as of 9:00 tonight.

P.S. are you on the Island accessing through ATT and if so have you tethered your phone and how is the ATT Internet speed holding up with the DSL outage today?
medic5740

Slow

Post by medic5740 »

Eleven minutes with AT&T iPhone to get to post this message. It's too slow right now to connect my computer. Everything times out at this slow speed. Hope it gets fixed soon. Can't FTP either, so no website updates either. Jeff you still have satellite connection? Probably giving up for tonight.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Yes, using the old satellite again today for a backup but it is r-e-a-l-l-y laggy and slow now that the Island has had faster for so long. It's so slow I have time to power cycle the tds modem in hopes it will come back up and torture their support again each time I wait for anything to transfer.

At 10:00 I asked if they were still working on the issue tonight, and
TDS Customer Service @TDSCustService wrote: Yes, they are working the issue. We only know that there is a circuit down at this time
Marie S Powers

Post by Marie S Powers »

Don't feel bad...my "line of sight" Internet service where I live in the 'Thumb' live about about 60 or so miles from Detroit and a little bit more than a mile from a Michigan highway... goes out all the time...sometimes for a month. I still pay because I have no other option other than pay Hughesnet (the least expensive satellite service here in Brown City)... for more money and then have to deal with the weather issues. So count yourselves lucky when you have service as I have to do way down here.
Marie Sutherland Powers
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I agree there. I count myself very lucky to have the DSL here. It's very neat to have fast broadband Island-wide in the middle of Lake Michigan, and it's been much more robust and reliable than I had hoped even when any local low-latency broadband was thought to be on the horizon some years ago. (e.g. with satellite there were still a few snowstorm and rainstorm outages.) Back then I had planned to setup a dual wan failover router first thing, but dsl has been so reliable to date that there has been no need... this has been the longest and only the third DSL outage I remember in the last 4 years. All in all, I'm thankful the system has been so rock-soild overall. It's changed what's possible here.
medic5740

Back

Post by medic5740 »

Internet is back!
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thank you TDS for all the work to get everything back up and running.
medic5740

Celebrate

Post by medic5740 »

To check the wonderful work of TDS and AT&T, News on the Net will live stream the joint township meeting tonight from Peaine hall at http://beaver island.tv beginning just before 7pm. Topic is airport improvement grant with Meade and Hunt, consultants, in attendance.