Joy Green

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Kathleen Dvoracek

Joy Green

Post by Kathleen Dvoracek »

The Green Family would like all of our friends to know of the passing of Joy. She was the loving wife of Russell; Mom to Mike and Kitty, Mary, Bernadette and Dave, Beth Anne and Steve, Rose and John, Kevin and Snowe, Amy, Kathleen and Dana; grandmother to 17 very fortunate children and 2 great-grandchildren.
Visitation will be held Friday, 11/2, from 2 - 4 p.m. and 7 - 8:30 p.m. with a rosary beginning at 7 - Holy Cross Church.
Funeral Mass Saturday, 11/3, 11 a.m.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Holy Cross Church c/o Ellen Welke Memorial Fund or Holy Cross Cemetery.
Thank you all for your kind thoughts, deeds, and prayers for us all. We are all very grateful.
Mike Green
Kathleen Dvoracek

Post by Kathleen Dvoracek »

Our family would like to thank our very special caregiver, Sue Solle, for the tender loving care she gave to mom. Like it or not, Sue, you are now an honorary member of our family! Love, Mike
MJRANDALL

Joy Green

Post by MJRANDALL »

Kathleen, Michael, Beth Ann, Rosie, Mary T, Bernadette, Kevin and Amy and especially Russ and the whole Green Family,

Our hearts, thoughts and prayers are with you more than you'll ever know. There is no comfort I can give as I know how empty you all are feeling. All I can say is if there is anything, and I mean anything you need. Just call. You know where I am at.

Micheal, Lori and Hunter Randall
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

There has never been a better example of a kind, warm, Christian person than Joy Green. She was truly one of a kind!

Farewell to Mother
(A Tribute To Alice Joy Green)
Richard Gillespie

Mother you were always there for us,
Nurturing, caring, loving and fuss!
You taught us to be patient and on time,
To be fearless and that any hill we could climb!

You taught us to gather the eggs and the milk,
Lest when Dad came home it might raise his ilk!
To do our homework and studies because they would be a plus,
The truth of the matter, it worked for all of us.

You taught us to love God and be loving and kind,
And if we strayed from the path we felt it on our behind!
Our lessons were many, to be forthright and true,
They were so helpful and such a reflection on you!

You taught us to bake, to knead and to cook,
Even the importance of reading a book!
The lessons weâ??ve learned will last a long time,
But sadly for you now the bells must chime.

So farewell to Mother, we must bid adieu,
Our hearts will always be full of love for you.
Although your time on this earth has come to an end,
Your kindness and loving will go on again and again!
beckyg24

Post by beckyg24 »

To the entire Green family,

I just wanted you all to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Joy, was a wonderful woman, who will be dearly missed. I remember when I was younger and we would go over to Joy and Russ in the early morning hours when she was making her fresh donuts for McDonoughs Market and she was always willing to give a few to us. She always had a smile on her face, it is one that will be forever missed.

Beth Ann if there is anything you need please let me know!

All my love and prayers,
Becky Gerace (LaFreniere)
Phyllis Moore

Joy Green

Post by Phyllis Moore »

Russell, Mike, Mary, Bernadette, Beth Anne, Rosie, Kevin, Amy, Kathleen and the entire family,

Joy, the name itself is an emotion of great happiness and she taught you, and all of us who knew her, how to see it in the world around you. Please know that we're all thinking and praying for you and that you won't ever be separated from your mom...because God leaves us with memories to hold and love that doesn't pass away. Let your hearts start on their journey to healing by feeling the comfort that remembering brings. Let there be memories--pictures, mementos, and favorite stories both funny and sad. Let your minds wander the paths of remembrance, reliving the joys and the good times you've had. Let there be memories--signs that Joy will remain near in spirit...tender, surprising, heartwarming, and welcome--sweet proof of the promise her love will live on. Your mother will always live in all our hearts, in our memories, and in the way we see the world. Joy, and all of you, have been a part of our lives for almost fifty years so we have many, many wonderful memories of times together, both the ups and the downs. We've lit the candle for her now instead of the other way around. You're in the hearts of others who care about you and pray for you as God eases your sorrow and replaces it with sweet memories.
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Our thoughts and prayers have been and will continue to be with all of you.

Joy was a great woman and will truly be missed.

Our love to all of you.

Marie & Jerry
Jim

Post by Jim »

To the Green family,

Both Donna and I want you all to know that our hearts are with you.

Jim and Donna Stambaugh
Diane O'Donnell

Joy Green

Post by Diane O'Donnell »

Dear Russell and Family,
On behalf of the Beaver Island Club of Grand Rapids and our families, we wish to express our deepest sympathy at this difficult time. Please know that all of you are in our prayers. Joy will be greatly missed by all.

Diane Westmaas (O'Donnell)
President
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

Dear Russ and family

We will miss Joy, for the warm hearted woman that she was as we were growing up here and for when our mother was so sick she made sure to come out and give her communion, even when she wasn't well herself. She has truly touched many peoples lives and made them that much richer for knowing her- She truly was our angel on earth. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you.
Love The Mooney, Timsak and Marsh families
Shirley Cole

Joy

Post by Shirley Cole »

Within the tapestry of a community many threads come together to hold and build the character of a place. Joy was a individual that added so much to the special fabric that is Beaver Island. Her hard work, dedication to her family , commitment to her Island community , and kindness added so much to my life and many others. Joy would come up and give communion to my mother many times in the year before she passed on. Several times my mother remarked how much she enjoyed that time with Joy, not only for receiving communion, but for their visits that would always follow. It was her incredible kindness and grace that touched my mother and so many others . She is one of those special people that I not only learned from her words , but far more from her actions. She was very special and will be greatly missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family.
Last edited by Shirley Cole on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shirley Cole

Joy

Post by Shirley Cole »

Oops - the above post is Paul's-- when he submitted he didn't know that he had accidentally clicked on my name instead of his own. I, however. also want to extend my deepest sympathies to the entire Green family. Joy was a special lady in many ways, and she will be truly missed. My heart breaks for your loss ~Shirley
Fr. Gabe Fox

Post by Fr. Gabe Fox »

Dear Russ & family,

I know you have the support of the entire Island family and more.
I only wish that I could be with you for ther funeral. Joy seemed so cheerful and a delight as usual when I visited at the hospital. You all have been a strong part of my life and have always been there for me. I still remember my first trip around the Island when Joy & Vera invited me and Bud drove with Skip and a number of kids in a boat company van. I note that Vera died on the same day as Fr. Joe Herp and now Joy on the same day as Fr. Tom Nies. Joe and Tom must have wanted some strong advocates for them when they got up to heaven. May our loving God help you to keep alive the happy memories until you are joined again in the Kingdom He has prepared for us. I have offered my All Saints Day Mass for Joy and will remember all of you this weekend. God bless all of you.

In friendship,

Fr. Gabe
BigMike

Post by BigMike »

To the Green family:

We would like to pass along our thoughts and prayers during this difficult and sad time.

Mike and Jennifer Verleger
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Although we laid one of our communities most loved persons to rest today it is only right to comment on what an incredible service it was and how Joy's it affected everyone that was there. Kevin Green, you did an incredible job putting your mothers' life and contributions in perspective. I cannot remember a more sincere and absolutely beautiful show of respect and love. You are all to be commended!! AND, you put just the right amount of heat on Mike, that was special too!!! All good thoughts to all of you!!!