Beaver Island Celtic Games

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

piper

Beaver Island Celtic Games

Post by piper »

This Saturday: the 3rd Annual Beaver Island Celtic Games, from 10 AM - 5 PM at the Bud McDonough Memorial Ball Field.

Over a dozen Celtic strongmen (including the Island's own Tim Wearn) will compete in traditional heavy athletic events. Don't miss this opportunity to witness awesome acts of strength and daring!

Also appearing: the Grand Traverse Pipes & Drums (and dancers), with inspiring Gaelic music.

Evening ceilidhs will be Friday night at Donegal Danny's Pub and Saturday night at The Shamrock.
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

Even more pipers and dancers this year. Food on site by Stoney Acres. Drinks and deserts by the Amvets ladies.

Your Celtic Games Sponsors:

Chamber of Commerce
Shamrock
Beaver Island Boat Co.
Stoney Acre
jmcbain2

Beaver Island games

Post by jmcbain2 »

I can tell you, my fellow athletes are excited for this game this year. The smack talking between us has been brutal as of late, meaning we should be putting on one heck of a show for you. (So far I have been called bear-like in my hairyness, told I will be beaten like a schoolgirl on the field and other like insults - it's an athlete thing, we really love each other honestly. I got even though by telling one athlete that I will not only beat him but make a fool of him.)
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

And who is that McBain?? The fella in the mirror!! :lol: Good luck to all participants, and have a good time doing it!!
Chamber of Commerce

Thanks a bunch to Rich Gillespie for the use of his bucket truck, tools etc!!!!!!! He is aloso making up a bunch of great Celtic Games T-shirts. Wait till ya see the macho celtic beaver.

Rich, will you be at the games all day to help out the old fat Chamber Guy?
Linda

Post by Linda »

Hey Timmer-- hello from Armenia--hope you do well in the Games -I'll be thinking of you Saturday. Wish I could be there to see you do as well or better than you did last year!

Love,
MOM
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Very neat that there is a new design logo too every year so far -

Rich just emailed me the design that will be available on T's and sweatshirts during the event this year...
Chamber of Commerce

A few Celtic Games shirts remain. See the nice folks at Beaver Island Realty. (231) 448-2577

THANKS! to all who made the games a fun filled day on beautiful Beaver Island. :mrgreen:

Steve
"The Chamber Guy"
piper

3rd Annual Beaver Island Celtic Games

Post by piper »

A big THANK YOU to all the Beaver Islanders from the Grand Traverse Pipes & Drums!

We had a (predictably) wonderful time, sharing music, dance, and stories (and a few wee drams) with kind, friendly people all weekend.

Watching Jeremy's assembly of Celtic strongmen was breathtaking and, at times, painful, but very entertaining - as always.

Special thanks to Steve the Chamber Guy, Liam and Marilyn Racine (Stony Acre Grill / Donegal Danny's Pub), Cindy Gillespie-Cushman, Danny & Danny, Eric and Dana (Shamrock), Larry and Theresa Laurain (Laurain Lodge), Ray and Nina (Beaver Island Lodge), John Works (Beaver Island Golf Course), Sherri, Capt. Kevin, and all the folks (Beaver Island Boat Co.), the good people at Dalwhinnie Bakery and McDonough's Market... the list goes on, and I don't want to slight anyone.

We'll be back with the band next year for the 4th Annual Beaver Island Celtic Games!
Chamber of Commerce

And a BIG THANK YOU to the Grand Traverse Pipes & Drums. You guys are great. :D

Best wishes from Beaver Island,
Steve
"The Chamber Guy"