atv's on the island?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

markbec1

atv's on the island?

Post by markbec1 »

Hello, we are planning a week vecation to the island next summer for our family reunion, I was wondering if it would be worth it to bring our Yamaha rhino to use for exploring.
David Roop

ATV

Post by David Roop »

Hey Mark, not sure what the situation is now, When l sold my house a coupe years ago, the DNR along with the Law enforcement took the psition that there were no approved off road trails,
So,you had to ride them on Private Property.
l would suggest you call the Deputy and inquire with him, if yo attempted to call other people, you would most likely get a diferrent answer from everyone.
Good Luck
Dave Roop
You can contact me at
864-895-1635
davidroop@webtv.net
257.625g

ATV's in Charlevoix County

Post by 257.625g »

Mark,
There are both state and local laws that now prohibit the use of any off road vehicle on public road ways (including 2-tracks) unless fitted with some required equipment...ie. seat belts if its not a bike style vehicle, horn, headlights, brake lights, turn signals, registration and in some cases insurance, all these items must also me MDOT approved. That covers the most of the state requirements, as far as local laws, they are a little tougher if you are wanting to drive a 4 wheeler. There are no acceptable places in charlevoix county other than private property that you can legally ride a 4 wheeler, and on private property you do need owner permission if the property is not yours. A few people ruined it for everybody in the county a few years ago by tearing up the roads, and trails. Hope this helps answer your question.
J.WASYLEWSKI
markbec1

Post by markbec1 »

Thats too bad, when a couple ruin something for everyone.