Cellular One Is Sold To AT&T

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

Cellular One Is Sold To AT&T

Post by Gillespie »

This may be old news for some but our local (the one that works best) cellular service has been sold to AT&T which may help provide better coverage (one can only hope!!) http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/06/2 ... 8-billion/
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Interesting -- watching an iPhone ad where it said it was exclusive to AT&T cell plans I was curious how it would work on cellular one...

Now we just need to figure out how to convince AT&T to provide Island Wide voice and EVDO broadband services :)
TjD

Nice Thought Jeff

Post by TjD »

Sorry to break it to you Jeff but AT&T doesn't have EVDO networks. They use GSM just like Cellular One; which is considerably slower; more like the 1xrtt. I think the AT&T networks operate between 128-240Kbps. The good news is that Alltel is rolling out EVDO across the state and is rumored to be even putting it in the sticks. Last I heard they were just north of Cadillac Since Alltel does have towers on the island and hasn't upgraded their service here in sometime there is a good chance we'll see it here in the near future. We may have Altell EVDO long before we have island wide wi-fi. Keep your fingers crossed;EVDO operates between 500kbps and 2mbs.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thanks very much for the info Tim, and sorry to be out of date regarding who has what.

I know a lot of the satellite users are raving about switching to Sprint EVDO as it becomes available in other broadband-deficient towns (and to Verizon, though the 5 GB FAP is somewhat of a ceiling)

I wonder if there is anything Islanders or maybe the Townships could do to help bring something about at this point?
TjD

EVDO Rocks

Post by TjD »

EVDO rocks; I tested it out last spring and was impressed. I only tried the Sprint and Alltel systems though; Verizon had too many restriction on usage (they didnâ??t have a FAP at the time, but, it doesnâ??t surprise me they started one)

The townships boards should allow Alltel an opportunity to review the proposed changes to the tower ordinance and make recommendations if needed to facilitate newer cellular technologies before approving any changes. I hope that the townships also use the RFP process before committing any public lands to new tower construction. I donâ??t know if Alltel would respond to a RFP but you will never know unless you ask. If the townships are considering low rent on public lands or would offer tax abatements on property used for improving the island's communication infrastructure Alltel might bite. At a minimum the township boards should make sure they have the facts on new communication/internet technologies before they take any action that might commit the island to inferior or aging technology.
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

With the AT&T takeover of Cellular One we will no longer be able to provide cellular phone sales and bill payment at our store. We have tried to provide this conveinience to the island community but we will not be able to maintain the 20 cell phones sold per month minimum quota that will be a requirement of AT&T, that is unless everyone will agree to purchase cell phones for all of their pets!!! :lol:
We still have a few Cellular One phones available until the changeover is complete.
Thanks!