Rev. Msgr. Victor Gallagher - stories please!

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

South Shore

Rev. Msgr. Victor Gallagher - stories please!

Post by South Shore »

Hello all,

My name is Sean Whelan, grandson of Earl Gallagher. I've been trying to piece stories together of his brother, Fr. Vic. Working with some of the Gaylord priests that knew him have been interesting. Even though I was only a year old when he passed on, I feel a good connection. I'm proud to be assistant organist at Immaculate Conception in Traverse City, one of his larger assignments.

So for those who remember him, I'd love stories anecdotes and the like. Of course much revolves around a manhattan, but I find the stories of Vic the priest wonderful. He was truly a pioneer.

My thanks in advance, and I will leave my email at the end.

Best wishes,

Sean Whelan
gatherusin@yahoo.com
Sean Whelan
pamo

Father Vic

Post by pamo »

Sean;
I know you posted this quite awhile ago, but I can tell you that I truly loved your Uncle Victor. He just about lived at our house in Muskegon when I was a little girl, as he was then an assistant at St. Mary's. and he also used to go with us to GR on some Sunday's to visit my Uncle Bud and his family and the McDonough's (Holiday) and Fr. Vic's, good buddy, Delaney !
He showed up as a surprise at my wedding and officiated in Muskegon and baptized my daugther at the church in Roscommon, where I lived then, as he was Pastor of St. Mary's in Grayling then. We had him over for dinner and beleive it or not, would play monoploly until we couldn't keep our eyes open anymore. He would "take us out" to dinner, quite a treat in those days for us!
He taught my older sisters at St. Mary's and was a tough task master because they were my dad's kids and had island roots. He would also take them up to the island after school was out as my Dad was a sailor and Mum did not drive. They were instructed to call him "Uncle Victor" as he was on vacation..haha.. and did not want to be called Father while on vacation.
Glad you are so interested in stories about him. He was a good man and yes, a good priest.