4th of July Watergun andWaterballoon Melee

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

4th of July Watergun andWaterballoon Melee

Post by Gillespie »

Does anyone else think the waterballoons and waterguns used during the parade were out of control? I had several people complain of being hit in the side of the head and one complaint of a poor old gal sitting in her car getting absolutely doused by the truck in the parade with all the waterguns. This could easily damage what is one of the finest celebrations of the 4th of July there is. Let's hope all are warned next year that this can be dangerous. Its one thing to perhaps lob a couple balloons or squirt a little water in fun but there were people next to my office with washtubs full of balloons. Overdone!! Let's take it a little more easy on the bystanders next year!
medic5740

Well Said

Post by medic5740 »

I agree with you. The only float that didn't get a picture posted was this aggressive one because I didn't want my camera ruined. Squirt guns are one thing. Water cannons are completely out of line in my opinion. Of course, who listens to a retired school teacher and a retired paramedic anyway?
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

I have to agree, a lady next to me got soaked. When we came back towards the sidewalk after running for cover on the first pass I asked her why she didn't get up and run....she was using a walker and couldn't. She was jovial about it, but left before they came back the second time. I'm afraid somebody, knowing what is going to happen, is going to come prepared and "fight" back and it could get ugly.

Kraig
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

I was concerned about my camera getting ruined. It has gotten to be a bit much.
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

I thought that after last year's parade being totally out of control with the water balloons and water cannons that more adults would have made sure that it didn't happen again, but then i realized that there were some adults in on it too. It used to be that the fire trucks were the only ones that people had to worry about, and the firemen that were in charge of it tried to always look out for the children, elderly and people with expensive equipment. So not only do the drivers of the floats have to worry about children running out to grab candy off the road, they also have to watch out for water balloons coming in their windows hitting them in the face and maybe making their vision blocked for that split second when some kid is excitedly grabbing candy. I hope that this is something that can be left out of our parade. I for one look forward to watching the parade while i am at work and would hate to have to work the rest of the day soaking wet.
:(
Linda Gallagher

not just on Beaver Island

Post by Linda Gallagher »

Problems with water are not relegated to Beaver Island. I was shooting photos for the Central Lake 4th of July parade last week with the newspaper's very expensive digital camera, and several people took deliberate shots at me and that equipment with their glorified water guns, which held large amounts of water. I was able to save the camera, but it took a couple of days to dry it out. I knew who those folks were, doubt they would have been pleased to find out they were buying the paper a new camera-about $1400 worth.
Linda
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Just read a notice posted at Daddy Frank's that "Chipper" the Beaver mascot will not be marching in the parade anytime soon. It seems that he was hit by a projectile (plastic bottle) in the head during the parade and has decided it is not worth getting hurt to wear that costume in the hot sun to risk injury. I hope the parade organizers will do something to warn those in the parade as those in the audience will respect the parade and floats and stop with the water fights. It is not fun!! How about it?? I am sure the chamber board will address this too.
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

The topic is on the agenda for the next Chamber board meeting.

Ideas and suggestions are welcome. We can't / don't make laws or enforce them but perhaps we can help.

Steve West
(231) 448-2505 M-F 9-1 year around.
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

This is easy. The people in charge of the parade floats need to inform them that water ballons and water guns are not acceptable. The chamber needs to post a notice on their website requesting the public refrain from throwing ballons and the deputies need to walk down the sidewalk on the afternoon of the parade and warn anyone with ballons they will not tolerate it. If the island deputies can't do it call MSP they'll be happy to send a couple of cars over to handle it. Done Deal.

Kraig
Kevin Green

Wow, let's not overreact here...

Post by Kevin Green »

Perhaps you could just ask the folks on the floats to not throw the water balloons before the storm troopers are invited in.

I suspect that these are kids we are talking about, not crack dealer from the 'hood. Seems like a local issue that the local leaders could handle.

Just my opinion from 1000 miles away...

KG
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Both good suggestions but it really falls to people using common sense, whether it relates to informing their kids or adults being logical. I didn't take a good look at the truck that was "loaded for bear" with water guns etc. but people who are going out of their way to raise hell need to pull back. A little fun is ok but........ I was told the AMVETS have voted not to march next year unless they get some assurance of "peace"!! Perhaps this debate and an announcement with a bullhorn prior to the parade will help along with an announcement on the public address system placed in the downtown area!
megsing3

more police?

Post by megsing3 »

It struck me as strange to call in more police from the mainland for the 4th parade and festivities. Why send the impression that additional backup is needed from unknown law inforcememnt - instead of working within the community to find a solution to the problem. ??? .
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

As a retailer which sells balloons and had people access our water during the parade I will first stop selling such items prior to the fourth next year, I will shut off the water supplies and I will do my best to police my area of the street to stop the nonsense, it has gotten too far out of control.

Jeff Powers
Powers Hardware
K.A. Pike

Re: more police?

Post by K.A. Pike »

megsing3 wrote:It struck me as strange to call in more police from the mainland for the 4th parade and festivities. Why send the impression that additional backup is needed from unknown law inforcememnt - instead of working within the community to find a solution to the problem. ??? .
Iam afraid you have taken my suggestion for more law enforcement on the island incorrectly. BI brings with it special and unique requirements. I praise the OIC and his role on the island.

In the last 4 years the water gun-ballon problem has been getting worse and worse. In our community our law enforcement department, of which I am a deputy of, would see a request for addition police presence as being proactive and not reactive. If this was a mainland parade there would be more police enforcement in the first place. Don't sell yourself short, the island pays more then it's fair share of taxes. It's entitled to the same service as the mainland. The service I'm talking about is the "Protect and Serve" part of law enforcement.

By the way, there are times when our community officers ask for, as you put it, unknown law enforcement to come into their district to lay down the law and deal with a problem issue. That's not a weakness in that community officers abilities, that's a smart cop.

Kraig
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

I think that Megan is just thinking that maybe this is how the whole homecoming with the state police came about. I know that our officers on the island are more than capable of handling this situation, along with the people in charge and it should not be handed over to outside forces.