Light Houses

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

shadow

Light Houses

Post by shadow »

Are there 2 or 3 Light Houses on Beaver Island ?
Michelle LaFreniere

Lighthouses

Post by Michelle LaFreniere »

There are 2 lighthouses on Beaver Island. Whiskey Point Light is at the north end of the island and the south end boasts the Beaver Head Lighthouse. Lots of history with both lighthouses, very cool to see and photograph.
shadow

Post by shadow »

Thank you so harbor and whiskey point are the same?
do you know the name of the keepers? I am a grandson of Mary and Tom Gatliff and I think Tom Gatliff was a keeper
Kim Connaghan

Post by Kim Connaghan »

Yes the harbor and Whiskey Point are the same lighthouse.Mary Tom's brother,Bert McDonough was a lighthouse keeper.Tom Gatliff was not a keeper.
oileanach

Post by oileanach »

"Tom Gatliff was not a keeper."

Suppose it depends on who you ask
Shirley Cole

Post by Shirley Cole »

Tom was a keeper on Squaw Island (honeymooned there with his wife, Mary) during the first year or so of their marriage, which would have been back in the early 1900's (probably 1916 or so). If you're a grandchild, I'm a cousin, so "whose kid are you?" ;-) Am still completing a genealogy project I started a couple of years ago at the last family reunion, so if you need more details - send me your contact info. Take care!
Joyce

Lighthouses

Post by Joyce »

Shirley, When you have the Gatliff Genealogy finished, the Historical Society will certainly be happy to see it - and maybe have a copy for the records???
BIHS volunteer
Shirley Cole

Post by Shirley Cole »

We'll be happy to make an extra copy for you, and thanks again for all the work you folks do in preserving this information. It truly is a treasure that no one ever realizes the value in having available unless and until they try to find the information themselves... take care!
Shirley Cole

Post by Shirley Cole »

Still wondering who "shadow" is, however...??? ("Only the shadow knows....") :wink:
Joyce

Lighthouses

Post by Joyce »

Thank you, Shirley. The H. S. appreciates any and all family information.

Good luck with your research!
BIHS volunteer