Accident-Carol Wierenga RIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

Accident-Carol Wierenga RIP

Post by Gillespie »

Word was just received that "Satch" and Carol Wierenga were in an accident near Traverse City today. What is known is that Satch had a broken wrist and that Carol was in surgery at the time I was notified. Keep them in your thoughts and prayers and let us know if you hear anything, thanks!
Last edited by Gillespie on Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
kitty mcnamara

Post by kitty mcnamara »

Thursday morning update on Satch and Carol per information from Susan Meis.
Satch - doing well, his chest hurts, arm in a cast, has a lot of discomfort and will have his back evaluated today.
Carol - critical but stable, fair vital signs, lots of pain, no head or neck injuries, heart handling situation ok, major soft tissue damage.
Their children and Troutman's are there. Joanie Adams was on duty in Satch's area last night.
kitty mcnamara

Post by kitty mcnamara »

Thursday Evening August 3
Not much change today - both Satch and Carol are stable, but still in a lot of pain and are not able to take phone calls. Likely Carol will be in the hospital for at least a week; not sure about Satch. Their daughter Karen is with them as are the Trautmans. Cards can be sent to Room 2216, Munson Medical Center, 1105 6th St, Traverse City, MI 49684.
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Kitty,

Thanks for the updates.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Satch and Carol.

Jerry and Marie
kitty mcnamara

Post by kitty mcnamara »

SATURDAY MORNING 8/5/06
I just spoke with Satch and Carol's daughter, Karen:

Satch is out of ICU as of last night, but is still in pretty rough shape with a hairline fracture of foot, and vertebrae, and broken rib.

Carol is still in ICU and is more stable but still hurting badly. She is off the ventilator. Satch was in to see her yesterday. Carol is in room 2216.

Neither is able to take phone calls and visitors are very limited to family. Cards are welcome.
Marie S Powers

Carol and Satch

Post by Marie S Powers »

I attempted to send a card to Carol and Satch at the address listed on the forum and it was returned to me...wondering if there is another address???
kitty mcnamara

Post by kitty mcnamara »

UPDATE MONDAY AUG 14

I just spoke with Satch and Carol's daughter Karen:

Carol is doing ok - still in hospital and the doctors are dealing with some issues that needed to wait until she recovered from the initial impact. She is progressing, but will be in the hospital for a while yet. She is in room 3337.

Satch was released from the hospital on Friday - is still in a lot of pain, but getting better everyday. He is staying in TC for the time being.

Their children and grandchildren from the Grand Rapids area are there as much as possible, and they suggest cards rather than phone calls.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Word was received last night that Carol Wierenga has passed away :cry: Everyone was so hopeful for her recovery. Let's all be sure to offer all the support and love we can to Satch and family and friends. God bless them all.