Wolves on Beaver Island?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Kirk Beyer

Wolves on Beaver Island?

Post by Kirk Beyer »

I read an article in the Outdoor Times this weekend of possible wolves on Beaver Island. I live in the Copper Country (Houghton) and we have plenty of wolves and opinions on them, I was wondering what the thoughts were on the island?
Natedogg

Post by Natedogg »

I heard the same thing on Memorial weekend when I was up there. I also heard the Beaver Beacon was offering 500.00 for a photo, could of been a rumor.
Chamber of Commerce

Wolf

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

Beaver Island newspaper NorthernIslander, northernislander@biip.net for details, offering $200 for photo of Wolf. Complete three page story in the May issue. In short Tracks (4 3/4 inch) photos/cast and several sighting suggest Wolf. Not at all for sure, but possible.
Marie S Powers

Wolves

Post by Marie S Powers »

If you are interested, you might want to contact Dr. Jeff Powers on the island who made plaster casts of several paw imprints found near beaver ponds this spring. He can be reached at 231-448-2572
TD

It's probably a coydog

Post by TD »

How much are the local papers willing to pay for a picture of a large coydog that is often mistaken for a wolf? There is a very good chance the local sightings and prints are from a coydog and before I go out and hunt it down with my camerea I want to know if I'll get paid the same for answering the question. Wolfs on Beaver Island? :roll:
Chamber of Commerce

Wolf / Coydog ?

TD,

You may wish to consult Jeff Powers DVM (above) re: "cyodog". :roll: The print and cast measure 4 3/4 inches. The local newspaper NorthernIslander can be reached at 231 448-3046 or northernislander@biip.net Best wishes from Beaver Island. :D
TD

Post by TD »

In typical Beaver Island fashion you failed to address the question and instead chose to focus on the typos. Will anyone pay for a picture of a large coydog on Beaver Island? 8)
Chamber of Commerce

TD,

Not likely.

Best wishes from Beaver Island.
TD

Post by TD »

If you're interested in proper animal tracking the following link will be of great interest wether you're a tenderfoot, DVM, or experienced outdoorsman. http://www.ussartf.org/animal_tracking.htm. Good Luck to all trying to ID animals on Beaver Island. :wink:
Linda Gallagher

Beaver Island wolves

Post by Linda Gallagher »

TD-I'm an experienced outdoorsman, and an outdoor writer who has written many a wolf report article as well as looked into hundreds of ghostly sightings, who also happens to know Jeff Powers, who as an experienced DVM knows the difference between a dog, a "coy-dog", and a wolf. Believe me, he's looked at thousands of canine feet in his life, and he knows the difference.

I believe it is VERY possible that a wolf crossed the ice of the Straits a couple of years ago and has taken up residence at the south end of BI.
First of all, wolves do get ostracized from packs, all the time, particularly young wolves who need to find their own territory. When they are on their own, and hungry, they can cover a great deal of ground. That's how wolves ended up on Isle Royale back in the 30's. They walked, all 18 miles of it, from Canada near Thunder Bay. This is documented.

I've been into the area on the island where the tracks were found, and the habitat is much, if not exactly, like much of Michigan's UP.

So why is it so hard to believe that an ostracized wolf wouldn't find his way across the ice from the UP, which is only 14 or so miles away?

A couple of years ago, a wolf was found in a trap near Rogers City, which means that wolf crossed the ice of the Straits, why couldn't another wolf cross the ice to Beaver?

Where those wolf tracks were found was near a beaver lodge, known as a prime spring food source for wolves, in a very thick, uninhabited area of the island, miles from anyone who lives there year around.

Coyotes do not inter-breed with dogs very often-only if there are no other coyotes around-and Beaver Island has their share of coyotes. Coyotes prefer to eat dogs. It is far more believable to me that a wolf crossed the ice than a dog mated with a coyote, and is able to survive in the wild.

I have talked to the top wolf researcher in Michigan regarding this subject, and he believes it is very possible that a wolf has made his or her way to the island.

That wolf may well walk away the next time the Straits freeze, but with the large numbers of whitetailed deer on the island, not to mention beavers, I doubt it. It is far more likely that other wolves will join this one. So, we'll see.

By the way, it was my article that was printed in Michigan Outdoor Times.
Linda
Chamber of Commerce

Thanks

Thank you Linda. :D
Jmcbain

correction

Post by Jmcbain »

Actually coyote and dog crosses are common in the southwest and west due to warmer weather and extended breeding seasons for both animals. While it is rare in Michigan, it does happen.
I too am an outdoor writer, experienced outdoorsman (spend some time of survival trips in Canada in fact) and experienced journalist with many published articles in many different publications over the years.
Is there a wolf, coydog or large canine out there? I don't know. But I do know as a journalist I should not call the tale fact or doubt it until more evidence is presented.
Chamber of Commerce

Wolf

Reading the several stories I note know one calling a Beaver Island Wolf "fact" and many expressing "doubt". There is more to be learned for the open minded.
TD

Post by TD »

Linda Gallagher- Iâ??ll be the first to admit that ice crossings by wolves is possible and probably has happened in the past. Iâ??ve heard what I feel are credible accounts of sightings and tracks during harsh winters that produce substantial ice between the U.P. and Beaver Island. However, the idea that a lone wolf has crossed the ice and is now residing on the islandâ??s South end is almost comical. While the notion of a lone wolf taking up residence and awaiting the arrival of a mate makes a romantic storey it usually doesnâ??t work that way.

â??Dr. Marcella Cranford, proponent of wolf relocation, veterinarian and expert on wolf behavior, â?¦ explained, "Lone wolves don't make it. They survive as a family or they don't survive at all"

If a wolf does reside on Beaver Island I can understand why there are not many sighting but I can not believe that itâ??s howling would go unreported. The Island is not that big. Even the most remote areaâ??s are with in an ear shot of humans most of the time. Even if there are areas far away enough from people that a howl would not be heard I doubt the wolf would park itself there and patiently await the arrival of a mate and never be heard. It seems to me that hearing a wolf is more likely than seeing one or finding tracks. To date I am not aware of auditory confirmation of the presence of a wolf.

â??Research Issues: Howling is mainly used to assess wolf populations, particularly to locate den sites that then can be studied by other means. Howling has helped researchers monitor the progress of wolf restoration by showing which formerly empty habitat has been colonized by wolves. Howling also teaches lessons about wolf howling behavior.â?￾

It is possible that a wolf is on the island. There are other possibilities as well: the release of a wolf dog on the island, an elaborate practical joke or hoax, or even a coydog. As Jmcbain has stated we need more evidence. A larger more inclusive reward should be offered to help flush this storey out.

Right now I score this as a good camp fire storey that is very useful to scare children, young women and even some adults when they visit the island. Maybe it will help sell some wolf t-shirts as well.

Good Luck to anyone seriously investigating Wolves on Beaver Island. Sooner or later it will be trueâ?¦.then what?
chez bayardee

Post by chez bayardee »

I saw Feodor Protar walking with the Queen
Doing the coydog of Beaver Island
I saw James Strang walking with the Queen
Doing the coydog of Beaver Island
I saw a wolf drinking a pina colada at the shamrock
And his hair was perfect

the debate rages on...

perhaps wolves could be used for cormorant control?
one hand washes the other...and both hands wash the face----ed norton