our future on spring vacation

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

capncinde

our future on spring vacation

Post by capncinde »

Couldn't help but notice, with my son Chris here on Spring Vacation, (if you see him not doing right, cuff him) there is not much for kids to do...I personally baled hay and pitched manure as a teenager, so I don't have much sympathy; but really is there not a group of people on this island who would like to get together and brainstorm so we can dream up a way to teach and help our future generation find useful ways to occupy their time? :?:
Cynthia Johnson
Kathleen Dvoracek

Post by Kathleen Dvoracek »

What's wrong with sending him outside to play and entertaining himself? Let him use his imigination! My boys do it all the time!
taramarie

Post by taramarie »

Kathleen- I agree 100%. I myself having grown up on Beaver Island and now taking my 4 year old there value very highly the downtime spent on Beaver Island. After spending the past 4 years in Chicago the lack of organized activities, scheduled play dates and electronically entertaining devices on Beaver is perfect. My daughter has the opportunity to indulge the senses, if we may call it that. The best play time I ever had as a child were the make believe castles, mudpies and endless hours outside getting dirty and I know this much is true for her also. At the end of the day I know she is tired from running and from fresh air and from using her imagination. Thats the best spring break I could give her.
capncinde

Thank you for your suggestions

Post by capncinde »

Thank you both for your suggestions and discussion. I, too am a big advocate of healthy outdoor activities and free playtime so a child can exercise their bodies and minds. I was rather looking more for support and information about what there is as far as activities that my sixteen year old might consider and enjoy.
Cynthia Johnson