Greetings from Brooklyn, NY

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

tattletail

Greetings from Brooklyn, NY

Post by tattletail »

I'm from Brooklyn, NY and have been lurking on this board for some time because in all honesty it fascinates me. Not the lurking aspect, but what I guess I would describe as the "Island lifestyle" in the northern Michigan context. Don't get me wrong, I technically live on an island myself but I'm sure we can all agree that that's where any similarities end. I've spent considerable amount of time in Michigan, and have visited Mackinac Island many times. Beaver Island seems much, much different. I'm only assuming here, but the 'Disneyland' aspect of Mackinac seems to be absent in Beaver Island, or is it?

My thirst for knowledge on this particular topic generates interest in the most mundane of details. The normal maxims of life that anyone else would take for granted I read through every reply... and I'm still unsure why.

I'm sure as routine and 'normal' it may appear to you, it's different than what I'm used to. And that's the fun in it.

Okay, I'll sacrifice my long winded-ness.

1a. How often do 'outsiders' move to the island?
1b. How would you say they are received? In an honest assessment.

2a. What kind of crime does Beaver Island experience? I can only imagine with just 1 law enforcement agent on the island there isn't much, but is there?
2b. What/when was the last 'major' crime

3a. What's the dating/nightlife scene on Beaver Island for college age to 20-somethings?
3b. Male to female ratio?
3c. Single to married ratio?

4. Are there any non-white, semi/permanent residents on BI?

5. With Michigan just recently having passed legalizing medical marijuana, has there been any impact on B.I.? Dispensaries, etc...

6. In terms of grocery prices, how do they compare to those on the mainland?

7a. Have there ever been any reports of wolves or bears on B.I.?
7b. Does B.I. have any spawning salmon/trout within it's inland lakes/streams?

8. How large is the student body at the community school?

9a. How many businesses stay open in the "off-season"? Bars, restaurants, etc...
9b. How often do permanent residents visit the mainland in the off-season?

That's it for now. I appreciate any responses. Thanks for taking the time to read.
medic5740

Try a couple of island websites

Post by medic5740 »

I would suggest that you try looking on some of the Beaver Island websites. There is plenty to read and see to help you form your own conclusions.

I would suggest my website http://beaverislandnewsarchives.com

or

http://beaverisland.org

or just do a google search. You will find pictures and text as well as videos. Then you can form your own opinion. On this forum, you will find many diverse opinions. I believe you need to form your own.

That being said, you will find that Beaver Island is truly a very special place with caring people.

Joe Moore
Jim

Post by Jim »

YouTube also has some informal videos.

Jim Stambaugh
jflanagan

Re: Greetings from Brooklyn, NY

Post by jflanagan »

I'll try to answer your questions in text, prefaced by a ***
tattletail wrote:I'm from Brooklyn, NY and have been lurking on this board for some time because in all honesty it fascinates me. Not the lurking aspect, but what I guess I would describe as the "Island lifestyle" in the northern Michigan context. Don't get me wrong, I technically live on an island myself but I'm sure we can all agree that that's where any similarities end. I've spent considerable amount of time in Michigan, and have visited Mackinac Island many times. Beaver Island seems much, much different. I'm only assuming here, but the 'Disneyland' aspect of Mackinac seems to be absent in Beaver Island, or is it?

My thirst for knowledge on this particular topic generates interest in the most mundane of details. The normal maxims of life that anyone else would take for granted I read through every reply... and I'm still unsure why.

I'm sure as routine and 'normal' it may appear to you, it's different than what I'm used to. And that's the fun in it.

Okay, I'll sacrifice my long winded-ness.

1a. How often do 'outsiders' move to the island?

***Not very often, I'd guess the most frequent are new teachers @ the school and retirees. Of course the fact is one cannot move to an island unless one can somehow support themselves

1b. How would you say they are received? In an honest assessment.

***This is not a Chicago neighborhood, where I'm from, where everyone nods and one or 2 people talk. People here are friendly and helpful. People confuse that with feeling they should then be "part of the family". That doesn't happen easily and has a hard time matching up with or creating the types of links created when your grandparents went to school together and you also attend together K-12. Of course "newcomers" don't get caught up in those old family fights either.

2a. What kind of crime does Beaver Island experience? I can only imagine with just 1 law enforcement agent on the island there isn't much, but is there?

***The most serious crimes that ever occur is the occasional drunk driving or speeding ticket.

2b. What/when was the last 'major' crime
***Never heard of one

3a. What's the dating/nightlife scene on Beaver Island for college age to 20-somethings?
3b. Male to female ratio?
3c. Single to married ratio?
*** ????

4. Are there any non-white, semi/permanent residents on BI?
*** the island till 70 years ago was almost all Irish with some of the original Native Amiricans still here. Since then there have been a variety of non-Irish moving here and there are a fair share of Poles, Gemans, Italians but very few who are not of some variety of European origin.

5. With Michigan just recently having passed legalizing medical marijuana, has there been any impact on B.I.? Dispensaries, etc...

*** there is not even a regular drug store on the island,

6. In terms of grocery prices, how do they compare to those on the mainland?

***a freight charge extra, a little more expensive when Ferry is running. Gets more expensive for perishables like Milk and vegetables when they have to be flown over.

7a. Have there ever been any reports of wolves or bears on B.I.?
*** a rumored Wolf sighting a couple of years ago but despite rewards for verifiable proof no one ever got a clear picture or any other solid evidence beyond a very large paw print.

7b. Does B.I. have any spawning salmon/trout within it's inland lakes/streams?
***I think there is a small variety of trout in one

8. How large is the student body at the community school?
***around 80 K-12

9a. How many businesses stay open in the "off-season"? Bars, restaurants, etc...
*** 2-3 Bars/restaurant combos, Hardware, Grocery, Gas Station, coffee shop/deli, toy museum, historical society, school, cmu, post office, bank, liquor store/deli, airport, sheriff, medical center. Most have drastically shortened hours

9b. How often do permanent residents visit the mainland in the off-season?

***There are 2 off-seasons, outside of tourist season which is a wonderfully time on the island. Weather is great, everything is peacefully but while the Ferry is running. A lot of seasonal residents are still on the island and most places are still open so there are a couple more restaurants open as well as longer hours.

Then there is mid-December till sometime around March or even when the Ferry starts again early April. Many old time islanders leave to visit their families downstate and in warmer climates and the population really shrinks. The Ferry is not running a round trip plane ride to Charlevoix is about $90. And you'd better like winter activities.

That's it for now. I appreciate any responses. Thanks for taking the time to read.
Good Luck... Come and visit... It is wonderful
James Flanagan
37700 Font View Ct. 4439 N. California
Beaver Island, Mi Chicago, Il
49782 60625
231-448-2109 773-463-5494
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

Hi New York,

Please consider a visit. www.BeaverIsland.org 231.448.2505

A great video: http://www.beaverisland.org/video/index.html

Best wishes from Beaver Island. :D
Chamber of Commerce
www.BeaverIsland.org
Chamber@BeaverIsland.org
(231) 448-2505
Wendy White

Post by Wendy White »

Greetings Brooklyn!
I have lived here for 13 years and only logged onto the forum less than a year ago due to the controversial nature of much that is posted here. I logged on inititally to respond to a query much like yours, regarding crime, or lack thereof on the island. I responded with humor, and promised myself that I would only ever post humorous responses. The man from Flint, MI, asked if anyone had ever been murdered on Beaver Island, and if so, when? My response was, "Not that I know of, however, many people might feel like they want to commit such a crime during our long winters!" (A bit of cabin fever often creeps up on those who stay.) I also remember a headline in the police blotter in one of our local monthlies that read "Man assaulted with hamburger bun at the Shamrock" (one of our local restaurants!) I think he survived the assualt, and as I remember it, it was committed by a waitress (the assualter) on an innocent customer (a case of mistaken identity). Indeed, you rarely hear of any crimes upon persons, barring the occasional bar fight, domestic assaults, etc. I am aware of thefts of personal property (including car theft, although usually the cars that disappear, quickly reappear.) Sometimes it too, is a case of mistaken identity, or somebody "borrows" without asking! The only other thing that I wanted to weigh in on here is that, if I'm not mistaken, we now only have about 60 kids K-12 in our school as we graduated a class of 12 in June. No bears or wolves, many deer, squirrels, raccoons, variety of birds, beavers (of course), occasional fox sightings, bigfoot, etc. Hope I have been informative. By the way, in the off-season, and in the in-season, I leave fairly often, and do so to keep close ties with family and friends who don't live here. When the ferry isn't running, you can leave by plane, barring the occasional snow-in or fog-in.
tattletail

Post by tattletail »

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I've done a bit of research but this is honestly the best way to get a sense of it all short of visiting; talking to the people that actually live there.

I really like the news archive, I had been reading through that for a few hours the other night, I think that was the catalyst for seeking this forum out.

I'm surprised I hadn't thought of checking youtube out, so thanks for that recommendation!
Wendy White wrote:Greetings Brooklyn!
I have lived here for 13 years and only logged onto the forum less than a year ago due to the controversial nature of much that is posted here. I logged on inititally to respond to a query much like yours, regarding crime, or lack thereof on the island. I responded with humor, and promised myself that I would only ever post humorous responses. The man from Flint, MI, asked if anyone had ever been murdered on Beaver Island, and if so, when? My response was, "Not that I know of, however, many people might feel like they want to commit such a crime during our long winters!" (A bit of cabin fever often creeps up on those who stay.) I also remember a headline in the police blotter in one of our local monthlies that read "Man assaulted with hamburger bun at the Shamrock" (one of our local restaurants!) I think he survived the assualt, and as I remember it, it was committed by a waitress (the assualter) on an innocent customer (a case of mistaken identity). Indeed, you rarely hear of any crimes upon persons, barring the occasional bar fight, domestic assaults, etc. I am aware of thefts of personal property (including car theft, although usually the cars that disappear, quickly reappear.) Sometimes it too, is a case of mistaken identity, or somebody "borrows" without asking! The only other thing that I wanted to weigh in on here is that, if I'm not mistaken, we now only have about 60 kids K-12 in our school as we graduated a class of 12 in June. No bears or wolves, many deer, squirrels, raccoons, variety of birds, beavers (of course), occasional fox sightings, bigfoot, etc. Hope I have been informative. By the way, in the off-season, and in the in-season, I leave fairly often, and do so to keep close ties with family and friends who don't live here. When the ferry isn't running, you can leave by plane, barring the occasional snow-in or fog-in.
Thank you very much for the assessment.

I do plan on visiting B.I. next July with some friends from Michigan. I'm originally from Lansing but have spent the last decade or so in NYC.

Irish heritage is another reason B.I. fell onto my radar. I noticed that right away in the archives and just with the normal Google-able information I've been able to find.

Are there gaelic speakers on the island?

Now, maybe this is just getting picky but... what section of the island has the best beaches?
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Dear Tattle - The best section for beaches can be found along the water.
The east and west side and the south end have nice beaches. The north end has easy access along with the south end which is more secluded.
Would love to have you see Whiskey Island and a pirate's lair.
According to some, it is the best island to find shells.

Skull&CrossBones
tattletail

Post by tattletail »

BI Pirate wrote:Dear Tattle - The best section for beaches can be found along the water.
The east and west side and the south end have nice beaches. The north end has easy access along with the south end which is more secluded.
Would love to have you see Whiskey Island and a pirate's lair.
According to some, it is the best island to find shells.

Skull&CrossBones
:lol:

Thanks for the advice.
Beaver Island Jewelry

Post by Beaver Island Jewelry »

Greetings to Brooklyn NY island! It is hard to get a picture of this island from what you read on the forum but the suggestions to look at other sites such as YouTube and other web sites is good.

A visit to this island would be the most helpful and talking with people personally. And there are different perspectives depending on who you are and how long you are here. For example, I live here in the summer so will have a different view than someone who lives here full time.

Good luck with your study!

Nancy
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Not meaning to get off topic here, but Wendy White wrote: "The man from Flint, MI, asked if anyone had ever been murdered on Beaver Island, and if so, when? My response was, "Not that I know of, however, many people might feel like they want to commit such a crime during our long winters!"

I know the original post was put out here back in January and I thought maybe someone else would have responded.

There was a murder on the Island almost 100 years ago out at Cable's Bay at what was to be the Wildwood Inn. Construction came to a halt due to financial problems and the unpaid laborers began removing the boards they'd put up. The night watchman rigged a gun pointed at the entrance and an unsuspecting girl walked in and was shot to death. I believe, she would have been Donald Cole's aunt. The watchman was tried and convicted of murder, but Fr. Edward Jewell, the Island priest at the time had the sentence commuted.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Marie, you are correct. I remember that night and trial very well. The argument was that the act was manslaughter and not murder. Either way it was Nomad's darkest hour. However, Strang's death was premeditated although he didn't die until 23 days later in Wisconsin. The trial was for murder and the ones responsible were acquitted.

Skull&CrossBones
CB Paradise

Post by CB Paradise »

You've got to love it. That's what Beaver Island was when I was there. If you want to do the crime but not do the time, go to Beaver Island. Is it still that way?
Getting ready for Isaac to come a calling.

CB