Home On The Island Documentary

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

Home On The Island Documentary

Post by Gillespie »

The long awaited documentary by Moondance Productions has been shipped!! It is expected that the first sale will occur at the 40th Anniversary of the Grand Rapids Party! The story of how these lads discovered Beaver Island and the twinning with Arranmore is still rather amazing. These good people put this entire production together at their own expense. It is hoped we can help repay them at least in part by supporting the sale of their hard work! Following is the text of posters that are being placed that also have a duplicate of the DVD cover. Maybe Jeff could post a copy of the cover here for us.

HOME ON THE ISLAND

A UNIQUE CHAPTER OF IRISH AMERICAN HISTORY

After three years in production, the story of exile and immigration from Arranmore Ireland to Beaver Island in Lake Michigan is completed. This documentary tells the story of the survival of a culture and the discovery of a place to continue their heritage nearly 3,000 miles from the Irish homeland. The producers of this film, Moodance Productions heard of the Beaver Island group traveling to Ireland and decided to follow them in this historic event. What evolved was nearly 40 hours of videotape and interviews in Ireland and the USA that have been edited into â??Home On The Islandâ?￾. Bonus footage includes the ½ hour version dubbed in Gaelic for Irish television networks. Details of distribution are still being sorted out. This film will be available locally for $19.95. + tax. Add 3.95 for shipping and handling. To reserve your copy of this amazing story please call: 231-448-2577 and ask for Marie or e-mail marieconnaghan@yahoo.com
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Finally!! The DVD's that were promised to be available in Grand Rapids over a week ago have arrived. If you would like to order one before the "Great Day" or perhaps for those traveling to Arranmore in the next few weeks would like to get a "leg up" on what they are returning to/for please contact Marie at the address in the post above.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

The DVD's are available on E-Bay at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 9119119041
Last edited by Gillespie on Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:18 am, edited 5 times in total.
tarapalmer

Post by tarapalmer »

Kellie G. and I watched the finished product last night. Moondance did an awesome job. I've always kept up to date on my history of the Beaver Island/Arranmore connection, but this documentary provided lots of missing links. I hope they make it part of the Beaver Island History Class (I hope they still have that at BICS)! The video will be appealing to all age groups because it features the aspect of island life from various views. Its interesting to watch how parallel the viewpoints of both sets of islanders are and how they feel about their lifestyles and communities. Whether you have the Ireland connection or not, the video is definately worth purchasing. Lots of history, lots of personal insight on behalf of both islands and lots of beautiful scenery!
Tom Burke

The chapter closes

Post by Tom Burke »

Greetings,

Thanks so much to Richie and Tara for the kind words. After so long watching the one hour version on either VHS or at a low resolution on the edit suite, it's wonderful to have the DVD finally put together. The scenic shots from both islands never looked so good, and the sound does justice to all those musicians who so kindly played for us. Kinda makes me want to retreat to Beaver once more.

Both myself and Shane are extremely happy with the finished version which we feel does justice to the history of both islands. This journey began three years ago during which time we have made deep friends on both islands and been priveledged to tell this unique story. For my part, i know there are forces that will draw me back to both islands for years to come (possibly even this summer).

In a bizarre twist of fate, myself and Shane will be in Toronto when the Beaver islanders visit Arranmore this year, but we hope to be back in time to meet up for pints in Galway.

Thanks again to everyone who made this possible and i hope to thank many of you in person, possibly around a campfire while clutching a guitar

Tom
"He not busy being born is busy dying"
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Tom,

Home on the Island is great. It was very moving for me and really explains the connection between Arranmore and Beaver Island.

Jerry and I hope you can meet up with us and the rest of the group in Galway! :lol:
Shirley Cole

Post by Shirley Cole »

Paul and I just finished watching the dvd of "Home on the Island". Moondance Productions did an awesome job. This is an incredible film that not only describes the unique story of Beaver Island and its connection with Arainn Mohr, but presents it in the most professional , entertaining, and emotional way. I cannot say enough about this DVD and its quality. The crew of Moondance Productions will always be blessed on the path of life because our ancestors will be watching out for them. Above all else, this effort was for them in honor of the sacrifices they made 100 years ago to retain a part of their culture that continues today. Because of Moondance, their dedication and commitment brought history to life. I will be forever grateful (as I am sure those that have gone before me are). This story needed to be told... and thanks to Moondance, it not only resonates with the respective island communities but echoes and educates a much larger audience. Thank you Moondance ~ Paul & Shirley Cole
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

When the Ebay listing expires I have to relist, obviously, but you can do a simple beaver island search on the site and it will come up in the list of items with those words in it, thanks!!
DPeery

Home on the Island

Post by DPeery »

As the great-great granddaughter of Edward and Grace Martin my heritage (and heart) has always been at Beaver Island. I received the Home on the Island DVD on St Patricks Day and loved it! Seeing Beaver Island again and seeing Arranmore for the first time was very nice. I was touched by the welcome that the Beaver Islanders received on their visit. Moondance did an outstanding job with this production. I highly reccomend anyone with Beaver Island ties, Arranmore Island ties or Irish heritage see this. It was nice to see the faces of the Beaver Islander names that I have known of for years. Great job!
Donna Peery
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

It occurs to me that some people don't go on Ebay.....If you want a copy of the documentary and if you live in the State of Michigan, send a check to Islecraft in the amount of 25.10 which includes shipping and handling and tax. If you live outside the state, send a check for 23.90 which includes shipping and handling.

Islecraft
P.O. Box 217
Beaver Island, MI 49782

231-448-2577

Thank You!!
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

To all of you coming to the island for Homecoming (or anytime!),
don't forget to stop by Beaver Island Realty to pick up a copy of the "Home on the Island" documentary.

The DVD is also available at The Station, Donegal Danny's and McDonough's Market.
nancy

DVD

Post by nancy »

This is a great DVD of the story of how the Irish came to Beaver Island. All the Beaver Islanders were great, the production was wonderful and we thoroughly enjoyed it!

Nancy
www.beaverislandjewelry.com