Maynard- An Island dog

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Deborah452

Maynard- An Island dog

Post by Deborah452 »

My dog Maynard, my constant companion and dear friend, passed away several weeks ago. He was almost 19 years old. He and I shared many adventures and traveled all over the country.

He lived long enough to accompany me down the aisle to marry my husband (Maynard was an excellent judge of character and fully approved of David). The last few months with Maynard were very special.

But when I think of all the places that Maynard and I traveled to and lived (Wyoming, Maine, Florida, New York) there is only one place that I can imagine bringing him home to on our final trip together, and that is Beaver Island. We will be bringing him home on the ferry, Thursday afternoon to be buried in a special spot in Matt and Wendy's yard.

And so, I just wanted to thank everyone on Beaver Island who were such an important part of our lives there. There was a lot of support for Maynard when he was recovering from his accident (a result of his incorrigible habit of chasing tires on moving vehicles). Beaver Island is home to some of the most caring, willful, complex, loyal and generous people I've ever known, characteristics shared by Maynard himself.

My sincerest gratitude,
Deborah (Harwood) LePow
Marilyn Racine

Maynard...

Post by Marilyn Racine »

Deborah & David
We were so sorry to hear about Maynards passing. Kitty & Cara were lucky to share a part of Maynards life. Hugs & Love go out to you from us, at the loss of a part of your family.
Liam & Marilyn
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Deb, I am gladdened to hear of Maynard's active and long life after recovering from his earlier brush with death. He was truly Maynard, The Wonder Dog. I am just as saddened to hear of his passing. He could not have had a better life or person to share it with in this life time. His memory will live on with many of us and glad that he is coming home to rest.

Skull&CrossBones
jacquel

Post by jacquel »

Deb and David,
We are also saddened by Maynard's passing. Our pets are a part of our families, aren't they? He lived a long and blessed life with you as his MOM. Our sympathies are with you both.

Jacque, Mark and Dan
dc

Post by dc »

Maynard was a stud, I don't care what anyone says :-)

Denny
sct

Post by sct »

Deb, I'm so sorry to hear about Maynard's passing..what a dog he was! I'm so glad you had so many years to share each other's company, and that he got to be with you and David for awhile. My heart goes out to you both.
Beth Croswhite

Post by Beth Croswhite »

Deborah,
Sorry to hear about Maynard. He lived a long, interesting life. His 4 legged B.I. blond babe will miss him. May all the cuties in dog heaven be the right height :)
Beth & Joddy
wmarkey

back to where he belongs

Post by wmarkey »

Maynard, tha ole truck-dodger. I remember him back with Margaret,The fiddle player. He seemed old even then. Did"t he lose just about all his sences; sight, hearing.He knew who loved him, though. Beaver Island...dog heaven
"Our problems are man-made,
therefore they can be solved by man."
JFK
Beaver Island Jewelry

Maynard

Post by Beaver Island Jewelry »

I'm sorry that I didn't meet Maynard - he sounds like quite a guy. And I am so sorry that your friend passed away. He was a lucky dog to have lived some of his long life here on Beaver Island.

Kind Regards,
Deborah452

Post by Deborah452 »

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words and comments.

We laid my old friend to rest in Wendy and Matt's front yard.