television

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

lvietzen

television

Post by lvietzen »

We have dish and it is 10 steps beyond horrible. Is there any alternative for tv on the island?
Campbell60tr34@aol.com

Television

Post by Campbell60tr34@aol.com »

Computer ready TV and inter-net service. You can stream shows and movies directly w/out paying for the dish.
Jim Campbell
lvietzen

tv

Post by lvietzen »

Do you have to have a special tv for that? Sorry, I am a techno-dinosaur
Campbell60tr34@aol.com

Television

Post by Campbell60tr34@aol.com »

yes, you need a computer ready TV which you can buy at Best Buy, K-Mart, or any appliance store you choose. They cost about $100-150 more than a regular TV but with the Dish bills at $60 a month- you figure it out.
Jim Campbell
lvietzen

tv

Post by lvietzen »

Thanks. I will look into that. We have been paying TDS for dish and we are getting nothing. Every time we get back to the island, no service. Now they tell us the soonest we can get service is 7/4
DwightEarly

DirecTV & Roku

Post by DwightEarly »

The solution depends upon your viewing requirements. If you had Dish, I assume that you want the local, over-the-air TV channels and some cable/satellite programming.

We have DirecTV for local, over-the-air TV channels and the cable/satellite "channels" that we like, including sports. I can't get News channels or sports live over the Internet. Thus, we have DirecTV. I'm very pleased with their customer support.

However, we don't subscribe to the DirecTV movie channels, rather we subscribe to Netflix for both DVDs and streaming of TV Shows and movies. Most new HDTVs and DVD players now have "apps" to use both Netflix and Amazon Movies for streaming media. Another handy device for receiving streaming content is the Roku player. http://www.roku.com/ I highly recommend this home theater device; inexpensive and very versatile. Consequently, you don't have to get a new HDTV to receive Internet streaming media.

So, you have many choices. However, unless you want to receive your local channels literately over-the-air with an outside antenna, I recommend you look into DirecTV.
lvietzen

tv--thanks Dwight

Post by lvietzen »

I often wonder whether you might be related to John Early, a bar association friend of mine & long-time Kane Cty IL lawyer
DwightEarly

Post by DwightEarly »

Not that I'm aware of. However, I'll check with my eldest daughter who's got the family tree and report back. (She's also a lawyer, so she'll find out any connections.)
lvietzen

tv

Post by lvietzen »

I think I am a Facebook friend of hers through Phyllis Moore