HAPPY 50TH!! - BEAVER ISLANDER

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

HAPPY 50TH!! - BEAVER ISLANDER

Post by Gillespie »

50 years ago a future classic looking vessel was tied at the boat dock adorned with flags and ribbons. A very impressive sight for a 6 year old (well almost 7!). Happy Birthday to the Beaver Islander, she has served this community well and long! She has seen many things and brought home many Islanders standing or to their final repose. She could easily last another 50 years!
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

A big Congratulations to the Islander from the Geezer! Miss Linda and I will help her celebrate as we will be married 50 years on June 30TH! Fond memories of Russ, Kevin and Mike over the years on our crossings. Many memories of rough seas while heading to Beaver and Garden in November but always safely and with a laugh or two.
President: "Northern Brotherhood of Geezers"
South Shore

Post by South Shore »

To be clear, this is the Islander's 50th season, but she did not arrive until July 27th at St. James, and made her maiden voyage to Charlevoix, arriving at 8AM July 28th. Her christening was August 5th, I believe.
Sean Whelan
K Fallon

Happy 50th Beaver Islander

Post by K Fallon »

Long Live the old vessel....Shes the one i got sick on the most when i was a kid..... 8)
Joyce

Happy 50th Beaver Islander!!!

Post by Joyce »

My family and I were camping at the State Forest Campground on Sand Bay on that auspicious day when the Beaver Islander was christened. We of course came into town for the festivities. It was a beautifully warm, sunny day. I'm not sure, but I think it was Mary Bert McDonough's mother who handled the champagne bottle, and it was either Father Wren, or Father Herbert who gave the blessing, but I do remember that Mrs. Heflen sang the Star Spangled Banner and the merchants were taken for a complimentery trip to Charlevoix and back. The Shillelagh was still standing. Henry Allen had his Real Estate office there and was serving lemonade and cookies to the crowd. Also, the festivities were interupted by the firemen being called to fight a grass fire out in the country. Good memories!!
BIHS volunteer
Joyce

Happy 50th Beaver Islander

Post by Joyce »

Here's the correct information straight from a granddaughter - it was Mary Bert McDonough who christened the Beaver Islander. Thanks Marie!!
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Joyce,

Mary "Bert" McDonough's mother, Maggie "Turner" Boyle christened the first Emerald Isle in 1955. Not sure who christened the Beaver Islander.
Joyce

Happy 50th Birthday!!! Beaver Islander

Post by Joyce »

Marie, Thank you. I shouldn't try to post a message when I'm not on the Island where I can check the Archives at the Museum. I'll be there next week and will post the correct information here - hopefully people will still be interested!
BIHS volunteer
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

The Beaver Islander was christened by Mary Vesty McDonough, mother of Lawrence McDonough, who was captain at that time. The Island's tradition, as I have been told, has been that the oldest living woman on the Island christen the ship.
McGrass
Joyce

Happy 50 Beaver Islander!!

Post by Joyce »

Thanks Pam. It was niggling in my head that she was the one when I made the first post, but I went with Maggie "Turner", instead.

I guess this is enough of this!!
BIHS volunteer