Recipe Question

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Anna

Recipe Question

Post by Anna »

Is there a reason why I don't see anyone post recipes on this forum ?

Just curious.

I've got some family recipes that were passed down to me if noone minds if I post them here.

Anna
suzieq

Post by suzieq »

The reason you don't see recipes on this forum is because the site is intended for Beaver Island related topics. If you have a recipe that great-great grandma Bridget brought over from Arranmore, go for it!

Personally, if I want a recipe, I go to a Recipe Site, if I want news/comments about Beaver Island I come to this site. :roll:
Anna

Recipes

Post by Anna »

Suzieq I've seen more then just News/Comments about the Island on this forum.
I too am able to hunt for recipes on-line if I want them.

I only posted what I did because I was curious and I also wanted to share. Isn't that what this forum is all about ? Sharing ideas,and maybe even some humor.

That's no reason to use the rolling eye icon at me. I don't feel my query deserved the response it got from you. I meant no one any harm. :(
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Sheesh. This is the "Main Beaver Island Open Discussion Forum", as for as I can tell. I do believe that recipes fall under open discussion.

I'm interested anyway, Anna. :)
unkle bik

Post by unkle bik »

If anyone is interested, I have a recipe for a Christmas Ale.
5.5 gallons will be bottled tonight.

Does Beaver Island have any homebrewers?
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

I'm interested.

I'm a homebrewer, and a soon-to-be commerical wine and hard cider maker. I'm not on the island though. Yet. :)
unkle bik

Post by unkle bik »

4.00# Alexanderâ??s light LME
3.30# Breiss CBW amber LME
1.00# I. D. Carlson Wheat DME
1.00# honey
.25# light brown sugar

.50# 20 lovi crystal malt

.50 oz. Cascade flowers (boiling) 6.2% IBU
1.50 oz. homegrown hops (boiling â?? 45 min.)
.50 oz. Cascade flowers (flavor â?? 15 min)

2 Tbsp. orange zest*
1 Tbsp. whole allspice*
1 Tbsp. whole fennel seeds*
3 oz. grated fresh ginger*
2 cinnamin sticks*
2 nutmeg cloves, grated*
1 Tsp. Irish moss*
* added to last 15 in. of boil

(1) 4 oz. liquid Wyeast English Ale #1028

Good luck! Let me know if you need more info.

Seems brewing supplies would be hard to get on Beaver Is.
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

I've never seen fennel in a beer. How does it turn out with all of those spices? I tried growing hops - the chickens ate the plants when they came up.

I mail-order nearly 100% of my brewing supplies anyway. :)
unkle bik

Post by unkle bik »

I'll know in a couple weeks. Might get a taste tonight.
Fennel would add a bit of a licorice flavour. I tried it once in a stout and it worked out rather well.

I tried replicating Great Lakes Brewing Co's. Christmas Ale this time around.
BERNIE MILLER

recipies

Post by BERNIE MILLER »

hi anna, I just wanted to say that some of the best food, made and created by the best cooks, I have ever had, has been on the island. I personally would love to see some traditional Beaver Island recipies being posted but that is just me. have you ever checked out the Beaver Island cookbook. It was put together several years ago and it is a fun book to use. I can not seem to remember if it is still sold. Maybe some one else knows??
Anna

Marinade for Vension

Post by Anna »

Here you go ScottS

Marinade for Venison

1/2 c Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 Tbsp suagr
1/4 c white wine
1 scant tsp ground ginger
1/2 c olive oil
1/2 c water

Marinate venison staeks,backstraps at least 3-4 hrs,overnight is fine also.

Turn meat 2-3 times during the marinating. Grill at med/high heat 3-4 minutes per side.

Marinate also works well to inject into roasts. Also works well with bison,elk,moose, and pork.

Champagne Salmon w/Potato Crust

Serves 2

Two-7oz salmon filets,skin removed
course salt
freshly gorund black pepper
4 large Idaho or russest potatos,peeled and coarsley grated
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup Champagne
6 to 8 fresh shrimp peeled and deveined
2 Tbsp unsalted butter,softened,cut into small pieces
1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
1lb fresh baby spinch leaves,well washed

Prheat oven to 250 degrees
Season the salmon filets on both sides with salt and pepper. Using your hands,press the grated potato onto both sides of the salmon filets. season the potato coating with salt and pepper. set aside.

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil while you cook the salmon and sauce.
Warm the olive oil in a large,non-reactive skillet set over med/high heat until the oil begins to simmer.

Place the potato-crusted salmon filets in the pan. Cook until browned, 3-4 minutes,then turn and brown on the other side,2-3 min.

Transfer the salmon filets to a non-stick cookie sheet and place in the prheated oven to keep warm.

Add the Campagne to the pan and bring to a simmer. Add the shrimp to the skillet and saute until pink and the liquid has reduced by half. Remove the skillet from the heat and whisk in the butter,1 piece at a time,and add the dill. season with salt and pepper and set aside,covered to keep warm.

Add the spinach to the small pot of boiling water. Cook until wilted about 1 min then drain in a colander,pressing down to remove as much water as possible.

Stuffed Snapper

1-10 pound snapper
ground black pepper
1lb shrimp ,cleaned and deveined or 1/2 lb shrimp and 1/2 lb scallops
2 pats of butter
1-8oz bottle Italian salad dressing

Place whole,cleaned,scaled,snapper on heavy foil. Insert shrimpor shrimp/scallop mixture with butter in stomach cavity. On one side of fish,cut 1' slits in skin;sprinkle on an even layer of pepper. Pour salad dressing over all. fold and crimp foil,sealing fish,leaving open a small vent hole. place on grill over med coals for approximately 35 min or until fish flakes. remove foil and place on platter,split open and remove backbone. Serves 6 to 8

My Mom's French Noodles

1 egg
1/3 c water
2 1/2 c flour
pinch of salt

In large bowl ,mix egg and water. Add salt and flour. mix together. Placed mix dough on floured board and knead in more flour. divid into clumps. Roll out flat and cut into thin noodle shaps.

Place into boiling chicken broth. Gently boil for 15 min
Anna

Hello Bernie

Post by Anna »

Bernie,
No I haven't had the pleasure regarding the Beaver Island cookbook.

I've never seen anything about these well known excellent cooks nor their recipes mentioned on this forum. I would love it if those people would post some of their recipes.

I once made up my own recipe for perparing pork chops but now I can't recall what ingredients I used. Maybe I'm in training for my senior moments :lol:
suzieq

Post by suzieq »

Anna,

Sorry if I offended you with the rolling eyes. It was meant as a joke. (Humor)

If you scroll to the bottom of this page it tells you the purpose of this forum and I believe that's the way it should be. But that's just my opinion.
Anna

Suzieq

Post by Anna »

I've already had the pleasure of reading the purpose of this forum.

Since someone has already mentioned that there is a Beaver Island Cookbook created by the excellent cooks on the Island then I would think that the "Recipe" question I posted earlier on this thread would be a suitable topic for this forum for discussion. Wouldn't you agree ? :-)

You didn't really offend me I was using some humor too.
Kathleen Dvoracek

Martha Miller's candy apple recipe

Post by Kathleen Dvoracek »

Bernie - Do you have your mom's candy apple recipe? Every year around Halloween I think of your mom because of her tradition of giving them. As a kid, they were the best part of Halloween!
Kathleen (Green) Dvoracek