Both ways is best

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Liam Shan Ballymore

Both ways is best

Post by Liam Shan Ballymore »

Life on Beaver Island is best when you have it both ways. All the modern conveniences, gadgets, tools and toys, but step out your door and it's wild, man, wild. While hiking at night I've been known to carry an old baseball bat. Coyotes know better than to mess with humans, but I hear them and I'm ready to remind them. Loons calling overhead in the evening makes me feel confused that Swans are displacing their nest sites. And there always seems to be something pecking on a hollow tree somewhere in the woods.
On and on...
But now, I am on-line and so are you. The world at our fingertips and it's wild, man, wild. As long as we're plugged in. As long as the coffee is hot, our clothes get dry, and the lights stay on. So long as a boat anckor doesn"t cut the cable.
Electricity is the difference between the modern world and the Stone Age (or whale oil). And when the wind is in the trees it almost sounds like money blowin' by, and when the sun is shinin' the meter should be turnin' backwards. I believe that everyone who reads this forum loves Beaver Island, but I'd bet none of you would willingly give up the convenient switch, cold beer or hot showers. If you did you would revert to a state of nature, a wildman or woman, and would never be clean again or have it best both ways.

Liam Shan Ballymore
Last edited by Liam Shan Ballymore on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
...tis a fine and enviable madness, this delusion that all problems have solutions...and yet the horse may sing
CB Paradise

Post by CB Paradise »

Well said Liam!
Where two worlds collide, friction results, disputes ensue, discourse evolves, yet life goes on for better or worse.

CB