More Quotes

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Party Plan Girl

More Quotes

Post by Party Plan Girl »

More quotes:

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none. ~William Shakespeare

Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Wisdom is knowing what to do next; virtue is doing it. ~David Star Jordan, The Philosophy of Despair

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters. ~Alan Simpson

Don't try to be different. Just be good. To be good is different enough. ~Arthur Freed

Do not repeat anything you will not sign your name to. ~Author Unknown

Are right and wrong convertible terms, dependant upon popular opinion? ~William Lloyd Garrison

The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out. ~Thomas Babington Macaulay

Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value. ~Albert Einstein

Character is higher than intellect. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion. ~Abraham Lincoln

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your work with excellence. ~Author Unknown

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. ~Henry Ford

Laws control the lesser man. Right conduct controls the greater one. ~Chinese Proverb

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him. ~James D. Miles

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good. ~Thomas Paine

Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right. ~Isaac Asimov

To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man. ~William Shakespeare, Hamlet

A man has to live with himself, and he should see to it that he always has good company. ~Charles Evans Hughes

Dignity consists not in possessing honors, but in the consciousness that we deserve them. ~Aristotle

You do not wake up one morning a bad person. It happens by a thousand tiny surrenders of self-respect to self-interest. ~Robert Brault,

You can out-distance that which is running after you, but not what is running inside you. ~Rwandan Proverb

Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world. ~George Bernard Shaw

Every time I've done something that doesn't feel right, it's ended up not being right. ~Mario Cuomo

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

To know what is right and not do it is the worst cowardice. ~Confucius

Character is doing the right thing even when it costs more than you want to pay. ~Michael Josephson,

Just do good, don't worry about the road ahead. ~Monk Wansong

Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense.
(Hurting yourself is not a sin - just stupid.) ~Robert A. Heinlein

Goodness is the only investment that never fails. ~Henry David Thoreau

I have had more trouble with myself than with any other man I have ever met. ~Dwight Lyman Moody

Conscience is that still, small voice that is sometimes too loud for comfort. ~Bert Murray

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip. ~Will Rogers

My grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people: those who work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was less competition there. ~Indira Gandhi

A man is usually more careful of his money than of his principles. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., speech, Boston, 8 January 1897

In matters of principle, stand like a rock; in matters of taste, swim with the current. ~Thomas Jefferson

I have found some of the best reasons I ever had for remaining at the bottom simply by looking at the men at the top. ~Frank Moore Colby

If a man is not rising upwards to be an angel, depend upon it, he is sinking downwards to be a devil. ~Samuel Taylor Coleridge

It's impossible to be loyal to your family, your friends, your country, and your principles, all at the same time. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

The only exercise some people get is jumping to conclusions, running down their friends, side-stepping responsibility, and pushing their luck! ~Author Unknown

The line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between political parties either - but right through every human heart. ~Alexander Solzhenitsyn

It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. ~Noël Coward, Blithe Spirit

Every wrong seems possible today, and is accepted. I don't accept it. ~Pablo Casals

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless. ~Chester W. Nimitz

We are taking Christ out of Christmas, will we take Him out of Christianity as well?