There goes all the fun!

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Liam Shan Ballymore

There goes all the fun!

Post by Liam Shan Ballymore »

There have been a number of threads in this forum that have included a posting objecting to fake "user" names. These psuedonyms do not bother me in the least. Pen names have been around since the beginning of writing and ancient names have often changed over the centuries. Samuel Clemmons used "Mark Twain", do you not read his stories? Even Ben Franklin used "Bonhomme Richard" and he wasn't French. Was it Homer Simpson who realy wrote The Iliad and The Odyssey, or was it just "Homer". Sure the rules say please use our "real" names, and that's fine too, but if you didn' know the person what would it matter? How would you know? Maybe there in the witness program. I've seen some postings where the author's user name was obviously false but signed it with his supposedly "real" name. That doesn't bother me, either. Besides, its part of the fun trying to figure out who they realy are. Does "BI pirate" realy live on Whiskey island? "Hayseeder" is realy a troll living under Jordan river bridge, "CB paradise" is realy a beehive hair-do waitress at a truckstop in Florida and "greenbabe61" is realy Jim Kirk's lover. When its time for a voice vote or a show of hands I am sure everybody would come out from behind the curtain. If the postings are well thought-out and users are respectful of everyone else we could, politely, just rellax about it.
Last edited by Liam Shan Ballymore on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
...tis a fine and enviable madness, this delusion that all problems have solutions...and yet the horse may sing
Deborah452

Post by Deborah452 »

Couldn't agree more, Mr. Ballymore!
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

IMHO they are mere cowards.
Not using your own name is well.. like lying... in the fact that you are not enough of a person of charactor to stand behind your own boring and or dumb posted comments. (as I am sure are my own posts )
This a Public Forum... not a Wii game or hide and go seek.
If we were all setting at a table at the pub , we would know who we were addressing and who was doing the pontificating.

btw: the B. I. Pirate is definitely a coward, as I landed on Whisky (twice) this past August and pissed on his front lawn... he wouldnt come out and face me...acted like he wasnt home....Reality is always more interesting.

Again, this is just my humble opinion. your results may vary

John Bolton
blood type A- :wink:
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Liam - Well said!

John - I didn't know why you landed on Whiskey Island last summer but now I do, thanks for the explanation. Next summer fly the skull & cross bones and I'll let you use my bathroom. I may even buy you a rum and have a chat.

Deb - Good to hear from you.

Taylor - Thanks!

Skull&CrossBones
Last edited by BI Pirate on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

What honest man would share a rum with someone who hides behind the Skirt of Anonymity?
When I was on Whiskey Is. this past summer, all I saw was a badger hole of a shelter, with a pink hanky flying from a dust mop, It looked more like a Pilates exercise den, rather than a Pirates den.
There was no Jolly Roger, no rum,(no restroom, but that was not my intention, as I was looking to confront a real pirate) nothing in sight to lay claim to the island, just the pink hanky.
Being a true great grand nephew of Black Bart (Bolton), the Gentleman Bandit, I know an outlaw's hideout when I see one. This was someone who's hideout was more of the closet variety. :P
Ben Franklin
Marilyn Racine

Post by Marilyn Racine »

Don't know who this Liam Shan Ballymore fella is, but it isn't yours truly, Liam Racine, the lad by the stained glass @ Danny's wearin' ear buds and Raiders gear with a bevvie and a smile.

The forum isn't twitter, facebook or a masquerade-use your Real Name when posting...
Last edited by Marilyn Racine on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanderson

Post by kanderson »

"btw: the B. I. Pirate is definitely a coward, as I landed on Whisky (twice) this past August and pissed on his front lawn.."

Glad you find it worthwhile to judge and degrade another person as well as his "front lawn"...poor taste in words.

Is it okay to behave this way as long as we all use our full names?

Kayla Anderson
willm

I Agree With This

Post by willm »

Ideas are ideas, and people are people. It was said once long ago that the United States was created to be a nation of laws (ideas) and not of men. If there is debate, ideas should be all that count. The faces behind the ideas are, or at least should be, immaterial to said debate; so long as things stay civil.

It cannot be denied that posting on the internet can potentially carry with it an element of risk; however small that chance may be it does exist. For some people more than others, maybe. Therefore I don't think forcing people to reveal their real names is workable, or fair. On other sites around the toobz arbitrary anonymity for users is guarded fiercely, with "outing" or disclosure of an unwilling party's info being a bannable offense.

That said, I'm not sure what to do with disruptive, disrespectful people either; Lord knows people like that get 10x worse when they can be faceless. Therein lies the problem, I suppose. Still, though, facelessness on the net is not going anywhere, and enforcing mandatory outing is not getting any less impossible.

Will C Markey
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Kayla,
I have been trying to out the old Pirate himself for a couple of years now....Pirate is pretty sly and will not take the bait...
I have no true animosity against him, probably know him and like most folks on the island, actually like him....
However, what I am railing against is the whole idea of the anonymous commentor. There is no credence in their opinion (as one doesnt know which side of the coin an anonymous comment is coming from) and therefore it can not lend to accurate discussion. For all we know, Pirate is submitting comments under several alias' and is trying to control the agenda on this board... we just do not know, do we? Again this is just my humble opinion, in which I will stand by.
I took a lot of private emails from folks who were actually afraid to publically state their opposition to the "do gooding" done to poor Barney's Lake and when I commented on the the ridculous situation at the airport, I took P.M. grief for that. Cowardly, as they should have told everyone, publically, what horrible thoughts they had about me :lol:
My argument is... that I stood up for whatever hair brained idea that I was willing to state publically, and others should, too.
If one is not willing to stand by their statements, then others shouldnt give your statement any credence.

I disagree a bit with Will Markey about the eventuality of the Anonymous being given leeway and being unavoidable...
That is his opinion and knowing Will, I respect it....Generations have different ideas about the definition of privacy.

My calling out of the Pirate is a politcal gesture, not personal.
Last, sorry if I offended you with the public urination comment.... as far as my comments about his front lawn... well, you see,, he doesnt really live there,( yet, I really did go there) and is perfect example why he (or she) cant be believed about anything he says about his experiences on island (Pirate claims long history) and IMHO shouldnt be given access under Richies established rules. This not the first time this issue has come up and if Richie would only enforce his on rules we would not have these contentions (Love you Richie, your'e the Man!)
Ben Franklin
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

John:
I do live on Whiskey Island!
I have been sailing these waters since before your great uncle, Black Bart, was born.
And by the way, your uncle, Black Bart, was born Charles Earl Bowles but hid his identity by using an alias: C.E. Bolton, go figure.
There are lots of stones on Whiskey Island but no glass houses :wink:
Offer of a rum and a chat is always open.

Skull&CrossBones
Liam Shan Ballymore

gets old

Post by Liam Shan Ballymore »

I know this topic is getting old, and it's not get down on John day, but a few more thoughts would be OK, wouldn't it? If you got something better, then do it.
Hey, John, loved your earlier posts. They were witty, funny and made you point. The latest post and willm before(and this one too) are, maybe, just a little stiff. I recommend that you re-read the rules below carefully. Rule #2 states, "please" not must. It also states that if another user is "negatively impacted by a post (not the name) or if a "name causes confusion, anonymous posts may be deleted" Not shall. Not will. Not the name. Richie does do a great job and is well loved and repected, and on this forum his green colored user name is "Gillespie". If you didn" know better wouldn't one wonder which Gillespie? Does he drive a county truck? Does posting comments on any forum realy amount to anything? Could someone's mind be changed by what they read here?(maybe?) Can I change yours?( ). This thread was started for just such discussions and its realy great to have so many responses, but I have no illusions that my poor words could change anybodies mind. Lastly, (some might hope) Iwould like to point out that your latest post actualy makes "willm"'s point.If you had used an alias the negative and nasty emails you recieved might have been posted here instead and potentialy subject to dicipline. The issue may have remained centered instead of persoalities. The dilemma is the user's to decide; being discounted as an alias or disparaged and abused as yourself. (" I don't know who that Liam fellow is but...")
Looking forward to all posts on all subjects to come...[/i]
...tis a fine and enviable madness, this delusion that all problems have solutions...and yet the horse may sing
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Gosh Liam , the one who doesnt own the Pub,
You are correct, I should have run Richie's Rules by one of my attorneys before opening my mouth... thought I learned that lesson a long time ago, my bad.
So now, according to the BIP I have to wonder if I am a Bowles or merely illegitimate :oops:
Actually, we have record of his children who were registered as Bolton, little Bastards, they were!

I, like most, am full of more beans than Boston, and again this is all mere opinion. Period.
I just laugh at the cowardly nasties, and still claim I have been to Wiskey Is. this past year more times than the B.I. Parrot....
Enough about me....

Perhaps we should concern ourselves with the general state of affairs when some local folks are afraid to say what they believe due to some kind of preceived "retaliation effect" they may suffer... hmmm
Things like that shouldnt happen in Mayberry

So, how 'bout those Mets, anyway?
Ben Franklin
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Hopefully this thread will put a smile on ones face and we can see the fun side of life and not take it so seriously. It is also nice to take a break from the heavy funk of whether the Island needs a row boat or tow boat.
On this boat controversy, I'd would go with a fast one, you never know when it might have to out run a crazy pirate.

Skull&CrossBones
Last edited by BI Pirate on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willm

Hmmm...

Post by willm »

John, I don't think the anonymous poster will be unavoidable or given leeway, or that it should. On the subject of credence I agree that some (a pinch or two maybe heh) is lent to someone using their real name.

But I don't think either their credence or their lack thereof go out the window merely because I don't know who they are. The only time it matters to me whose words I'm reading is when that knowledge only serves to make my praise louder. I know they are a functioning human brain with an average grasp of language and social mores (one hopes) and that is enough.

It's to be expected that in a community like this if you know a person's name and are willing to converse with them then you know that person has already met the above requirements. With an anon poster you can't be certain, like you said John. You could be getting the lady or the tiger.

Judicious use of the delete/ban hammer is dicey work even when everybody knows each other. It's for damn certain that if those requirements aren't met the hammer should fall post-haste. In my opinionated humility, Rule #2 is phrased quite effectively for the character of this forum.
willm

And,

Post by willm »

"Liam", concerning the poster known as Gillespie, if I'm not mistaken that is his real name, just not the whole thing. Therefore he wouldn't be in violation of the rules even if outing were required. And besides, if I'm not further mistaken he owns this site, therefore he can give himself whatever handle he damnwell pleases.

two pennies