New BI Ferry

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Campbell60tr34@aol.com

BI Ferry

Post by Campbell60tr34@aol.com »

I do believe in ferrys; I do believe in ferrys, I do believe in ferrys.
Jim Campbell
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

http://www.beaverislandnews.com/2011%20 ... inutes.htm

A public meeting will take place tomorrow in which some aspects of the new ferry will be discussed according to the agenda for the meeting.
CB Paradise

Post by CB Paradise »

Thank you for posting the notice of the meeting. I hope that anyone interested in a "fast" boat design will be able to attend and voice their thoughts.
Will the meeting accept call ins for public comment? If so, what number and what time?

CB
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Here is some contact info, I am not sure about the call in capabilities

http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,7-1 ... --,00.html
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

I won't be at the meeting but will call in with a public comment if calls are accepted. If fact, call ins for public meetings is a great idea with so many people impacted by decisions being made while summer residents are not there to lend a voice.
Allow me a public "public comment" here. As a tour guide in the summer for the past several years, I can share first hand experience about the people I meet. Well over half the people who take a tour say they had no idea how much the Island has to offer and how unique it is. They say that they are definately going to come back for a longer visit. I can only guess that those people will go back and tell their friends about the great experience they had on Beaver Island. A fast boat would allow first time visitors time not only to take a tour but also walk and shop the harbor.
I have also heard first hand comments from people who take a day trip to the Island and don't have time to see it and capture its charm. They walk the harbor, grab a bite and just have time to catch the boat off the Island. I can only guess they will share a less complimentary story of their visit to Beaver Island.
If there is a choice or vote for a fast boat to the Island, it has my backing. It would be great for visitors, residents, businesses and not just tours. My fear is that current trends lead me to believe that the next history book written about Beaver Island just might be: "Death of an Island".
The type of boat designed for the Island may literally be a life or death decision. Now is the time to get involved.
If call ins are accepted, I will gladly call.

Kirk D. McBride
CB Paradise

Post by CB Paradise »

Thank you for the phone number and address. Will they be taking call ins at the meeting?

CB
CB Paradise

Post by CB Paradise »

Does anybody know who and how the decision on a new boat for Beaver Island is made? I would guess that if the boat is paid for by tax payers that there were public hearings to gather input. From here it just seems rather secretive or a lack of interest.

CB
jimjohns

Post by jimjohns »

Why didn't you call in? oh wait your name would have come up on the caller id and then your real name would be revealed and you don't want that
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

I didn't call in because I didn't hear that call ins would be accepted, not for fear of Caller ID. There wasn't much more for me to say other than my experiences with visitors who take a tour. I did receive a call back to me after the meeting and understand that the decisions are all made so no need for input at this time. I also understand that a fast boat is a cost issue that makes it not feasible for the Island. Hopefully there will be alternative ways to increase visitor exposure to the assets Beaver Island has to offer. I see this as an issue for everyone to get involved with for our collective best interest.

Kirk D. McBride
jimjohns

Post by jimjohns »

my previous post was directed to Cb Paradise. If he called in his real name would have shown up on caller Id
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Jim,
I Googled your name and came up with Freaky Fast Delivery. That's what I was hoping the new boat would be but sadly not. Call me, I would like to see what my Caller ID shows.

Kirk D. McBride
Sue Avery

Post by Sue Avery »

OK - so (we) the tax payers pay for the ferry and we don't get a say in it? Am I reading that right?
lindawearn

Post by lindawearn »

Since it doesn't seem feasible to build a faster boat for the Island, how about looking into the possibility of renting a boat for the summer months. I'm thinking of one that Islanders wanting to go to the mainland for a day trip, and, visitors wanting to come to the Island for a day trip would get the most time at their destinations.
mcdonoughdiane

Post by mcdonoughdiane »

To get answers maybe people should contact Barb Schwartzfisher at the Transportation Authority! She can answer many of your questions that I see posted on here!
Ed Wojan was skeptical and looked into it in depth and was given a great understanding of it all!
There are ALOT of good reasons as to why the Boat Company Board along with the Transportation Authority has proceeded forward with the plan that they have selected!

This is all you will hear about this from me since I am not a fan of this Forum except to see dates and times for events and to see what is for sale in the marketplace!

Diane McDonough
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

In many places they actually conduct studies to determine the feasibility and impact of developing a faster ferry system. The studies that were done in 2004-2005 to show the need for this planned ferry scenario are full of projections that are woefully inaccurate.

Do we have the right to question the decision makers in this situation?

I believe we do, the Boat Company as many of you may have forgotten in recent past purchased a fast ferry, The Voyager, only to use it to compete with the dinner boat business in Lake Charlevoix, rather than to provide occasional summer service as many of you have indicated. The dinner boat service failed, and the company lost a significant amount of money on the venture.

So we have inaccurate data and decision makers that have already made incorrect decisions when it comes to the ferry system.

And as this forum thread has indicated, every demographic of tourist, seasonal property owner, visitor and current residents have expressed an interest in a different scenario than what is already in the works.