New BI Ferry

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

Who's to say Beaver Island wants to become the 12 month a year mega hot spot. As I look down the road I'm looking for a peaceful, quiet place to spend my golden years. Have the grandkids come visit in the summer and then ssssllllloooowww dddooowwwnnn the rest of the year.

Just thinking....

Kraig
Last edited by K.A. Pike on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

Perhaps no one has responded on hovercrafts as we are not familiar with them. They can hover over ice? high waves? Are they much more expensive? Quicker?
Sue Avery

Post by Sue Avery »

Well said Mike and well said Jeff.

Before any designs were done, wouldn't it have made sense to have a public meeting with the Island Residents to find out what we would like to see?

Yes, we do need a "freight boat" but we also need a way to get people to the island for twelve months of the year, and not just three.

As Mike said "We do need to look for a better alternative for the future of Beaver Island" - otherwise maybe there will be no future.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Mike, You make good points, points I have been discussing my entire life! We can't use larger turbine aircraft such as DeHavilland Otters because they have turbines and the hot section overhaul on anything like that would be nearly impossible because cycle times (every time you go from idle to power) require overhauling the hot section, etc. at very high expense! I wouldn't pretend to know all of the deatails, but a 9-10 minute flight in an animal like that would get very expensive. Hovercraft, good idea but too expensive to operate. The Emerald Isle, too expensive to operate and you cannot do any better with a displacement hull, you are fighting nature, simple as that. It is the chicken or egg situation no matter how you look at it! We need more people to support larger equipment whether by land or by sea. It has been discussed, believe me!
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Another fast ferry,

42 mile crossing at 36 MPH at a cost of 27 dollars.

http://www.roatanferry.com/index.html

http://www.roatanwebsite.com/listing_ou ... php?id=223

"The ferry has been so successful that it is now the largest low-cost transportation provider between Roatan and the mainland of Honduras, shipping both passengers and cargo."

It looks like this company has figured out a way to make high speed transportation to an island profitable.
CB Paradise

Post by CB Paradise »

Jeff, That's the boat design that gives the island both fast and freight at a fair cost to ride.

CB
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

It's a nice looking boat but I don't see anyplace for cars or large trucks?
Sue Avery

Post by Sue Avery »

It's a great looking boat and would complement nicely the existing ferry that takes the big trucks and cars.
CB Paradise

Post by CB Paradise »

Sue, You said it before I could. Why would the island need three car carriers and not a fast passenger boat.

CB
BigMike

Post by BigMike »

http://www.seakeywest.com/fleet.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVPq2--bPDE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=temtWYQNquM

Here is some info from the Key West Express that operates from Ft.Myers. I have taken it three times and loved it. I know that it does not carry automobiles, but ride is nice and it operates in the open ocean (and flat out moves!).

Enjoy!
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

To remind you guys, we are so far offshore and have such a short season other than for 45 days we HAVE TO take everything with us on the same vessel to make it pay or at the very least triple our year round population which is not likely to happen!
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Richie,

We need more people on the island period. Gift shops, hair stylists, furniture shops are closing, the motels are for sale, bars and restaurants are for sale, and another restaurant is attempting to open up. Most northern Michigan communities do not roll up the rug after labor day like Beaver Island does. If we don't try to figure out a way to change the dynamics here things are not going to improve in a a significant way.

That is why the comments of CB are so appreciated, he is thinking outside the box. The problem with so many decisions that are made here is there is not enough input from outside the box, from the viewpoint of the potential visitor or resident. The problem is we are competing for tourist business with all sorts of communities that are actively figuring out ways to bring people into their community. I don't think Beaver Island has addressed these issues in a unified manner as many other areas have.

I guess the other option is we can all look for government subsidized jobs to carry the economy, as is the present trend. The problem with that logic is that this comes from taxpayer dollars, which are already impinging on the value of investing in property here.

This discussion points out that all across america and in other nearby countries folks are finding ways to move larger numbers of visitors to their destinations utilizing higher speed ferry services.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

CHICKEN-EGG................
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

CART.......HORSE......

or in this case

FERRY.........THRONG........
Liam Shan Ballymore

Post by Liam Shan Ballymore »

Dinosaurs laid eggs
...tis a fine and enviable madness, this delusion that all problems have solutions...and yet the horse may sing