New BI Ferry

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

I was involved in all this and, in fact, rode the Emerald Isle into the Atlantic at the shipyard. I would agree there needs to be a more public process about the aspects of the boat, however a lot of time can be spent on dodging questions like, Can it have a disco, etc.? In any case to build a larger slower vessel to me seems unrealistic just as it does to dream of building a larger faster vessel! Speed takes horsepower-takes fuel! We ARE 32 miles from our port of call and that is as far as any ferry service on the Great Lakes I am aware of. You virtually have to take everything and everyone with you to make it a paying trip, we just don't have the luxury of a speedy ferry and a freight boat for obvious reasons. I believe that there are so many large catamaran ferries out there that we could acquire one if all of the stars were to align that can carry a significant amount of passengers, cars and trucks that are capable of going 34 knots and more (I rode a ferry across the Irish Sea in 1999, a wave piercing catamaran, that went 50 miles an hour! It carried over 100 cars and 100's of passengers).
We don't need one that goes 50 and we don't need one that carries those numbers and are not likely to but you could get one somewhere in the middle that makes 34 knows, slow it to 20 knots saving enormous amounts of fuel, wear and tear and bring all of your stuff, cars and trucks and friends with you. The first response we will get is that you cannot buy used, I understand that but I do believe that someone invented the wheel, let's try again!
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

I have to agree with everything Rich has said.
James Flanagan
37700 Font View Ct. 4439 N. California
Beaver Island, Mi Chicago, Il
49782 60625
231-448-2109 773-463-5494
CB Paradise

Post by CB Paradise »

I think I'm reading the new boat specs correctly that it will be designed for a speed of 13.5 knots making it a 2.5 hour trip. That doesn't sound like splitting the difference for a new faster boat. Why not have a faster boat that you run slower for economy but have the flexibility for faster service when required? If you plan now for the future and future needs, the island is not saddled with the same status quo. It might still be time to plan for Beaver Island economic growth with a faster boat. Why not contract with a Mackinaw Island ferry company to run a pilot program to see if it will pay to have a faster passenger boat and rely more on barge service for freight needs?

CB
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

CB you could not have stated the reasons why so well........any better!
Last edited by Gillespie on Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CB Paradise

Post by CB Paradise »

It would appear that my question of the new boat's stability quickly turned into a discussion of the new boat's speed. A possible solution is to do a pilot program from June-September by contracting to run a "fast cat" passenger only boat making a round trip early morning and early evening. This could determine the feasiblily of having a fast boat. This would allow people to spend more time on the island or the main land with less time on the boat. The larger, slower car ferry could continue with its regular runs.
However, I think there maybe a greater question beyond a fast boat and the answer to this question could lie in the answer to the following question: Could Beaver Island become a ghost town as in the days of the Great Depression and Dust Bowl? Once the island drops below critical mass, it won't take long to get the answer. I see by a post on this forum that people are looking for a means of making a living off the island. How many more will there be?
There is a saying about doing things the same old way but expecting a different result. This maybe the time to plan for different results and not just expect them.

CB
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

CB Paradise, not to be rude, but who are you? Just curious as I follow this thread.

Thanks!
CB Paradise

Post by CB Paradise »

Trish, You are not rude in asking who I am but let me ask who you are to ask me who I am. Your "profile" is slim while mine is not, but a fair question anyway.
I am not CB. CB Paradise was one of my favorite sail boats out of the Keys, sunk on an illegal run to Cuba. I was a frequent visitor to BI but have found a change in latitude a good change for my attitude.
Given that I'm a nobody, I would be more interested in the message than the messenger.
Glad you are following the thread, hope others are doing the same.

CB
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

Totally agree with you Trish - since i know you, you know me and neither of us knows CB and he/she has admitted that this is not his/her real name and the rules of the forum state that you must use your real name, I would say that as far as the message goes, i would be more inclined to listen to the message if the messenger stood behind his/her name.
CB Paradise

Post by CB Paradise »

Sean Jameson

CB
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

Thank you Sean
Rahn

Post by Rahn »

I have to say I'm puzzled that the subject of alternative fuel has not been mentioned. Yes, of course more power from an engine means more fuel. But what kind of fuel? Surely alternative fuel plays a part in such planning these days. I'm not exactly planning my life assuming I'll be using gasoline to power much more than my chain saw. Does anyone know if alternative fuels have been seriously considered for the new ferry? I'd rather have a slower ferry that still runs than a larger ferry that is too expensive to run at all.
Campbell60tr34@aol.com

New Boat

Post by Campbell60tr34@aol.com »

ALTERNATIVE FUEL! BRILLIANT! HOW ABOUT HOT AIR.
Jim Campbell
CB Paradise

Post by CB Paradise »

I would hope that whatever boat is selected, fuel and energy is a critical factor in its design. I was still going to the island when the Emerald Isle was launced and I believe the government subsidized the fuel costs, not sure if this is still the case.

CB
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

http://www.isleroyale.com/index.html

Ride the new Fast Ferry to Isle Royal. I see that the operators have decided that time is important. This ferry goes across Lake Superior at a speed of over 17 knots. The new BI ferry has a proposed speed of 13.5 knots. A 45 minute difference per trip. A ferry like this can obviously handle Lake Michigan seas if it can handle Lake Superior, as an accompanyment to the Emerald Isle this would seem to be a more forward thinking plan to get more visitors to the island.
CB Paradise

Post by CB Paradise »

Obviously a fast boat is possible. It gives people more time on the island with more exposure to wanting to build or move there. It should help keep or create more jobs with more tourists and assure that a number of island residents don't have to leave the island, dropping below critical mass. I think it makes sense to have the two slow boats that are now there and the new one being a fast boat, but its up to those living up there.
We have the opposite problem here in the keys. We have ample visitors right now but come July, we will have no one. Our advantage is we have a bridge to the main land. A fast boat could become BI's bridge.

CB