Dr. Guy McPherson

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

AEW

Dr. Guy McPherson

Post by AEW »

AE Wirth
BI Community Center

Post by BI Community Center »

At the Beaver Island Community Center:
Monday, February 20th 7pm
Dr. Guy McPherson
"Impacts of Climate Change and Energy Decline to Beaver Island:
How Can We Make our Community Durable, and Resilient?"
!

Little Artshram and the Continual University Series, along with several other Michigan communities and organizations has invited Professor Emeritus Guy McPherson, of the Dept. of Natural resources and the Environment at the University of Arizona to deliver presentations and talks throughout North West and Central Michigan Michigan. His scholarly work, focused primarily on conser-
vation of biological diversity, has produced 10 books and more than 100 articles. After researching environmental degradation, climate change, and fossil fuel dependency, he discovered that traditional conceptualizations of sustainability are woefully inadequate.

Dr. McPherson left his tenured faculty position after recognizing the extremely untenable, unsustainable pathway we are on is dangerously close to collapse. He advises individuals, groups, and communities on how to increase their resilience in the face of economic depression, increasing energy prices, and climate change.

Monday, 20 February 2012, 7:00 p.m. â?? 8:30 p.m. at Beaver Island Community Center, Beaver Island, Michigan. Topic: Impacts of climate change and energy decline to Beaver Island: How can we make our community durable and resilient? Event is free and open to the public, and is followed by a free showing of the National Geographic film, â??Six Degrees Could Change the Worldâ?￾.
Last edited by BI Community Center on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Beaver Island Community Center...
at the heart of a good community!
AEW

Post by AEW »

Watch the videos, do your own research and, make your own conclusions.
AE Wirth
Hayseeder

Post by Hayseeder »

How does this help Beaver Island?

Marshall Law?

End of Civilization?

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... =dAQFHI1jF
AEW

Post by AEW »

AE Wirth
Deborah452

Post by Deborah452 »

Does anyone know anything about this guy? His background? From what I've read, he seems extremely radical and preaches terrorism ("freedom fighting" he calls it) from the inside out.

Why exactly is he coming to Beaver Island?
AEW

Post by AEW »

Holy Cow! I didn't think this guy could get any creepier but he does! This is posted on his blog.

http://guymcpherson.com/2011/02/the-peo ... ed-states/

Who was it who chose to ask this guy to come to the Community Center and present his power point manifesto? Is he being paid? If so, by whom?
AE Wirth
MarissaCrandall

Post by MarissaCrandall »

Okay.. I would just like to say that no one that is permitting/ "preaching" terrorism is going to be sent to the island. Don't be so irrational. People come to the island all the time, throughout the summer, the winter, for vacational purposes, and let me just say, although you may think you know them all, you don't. Correct me if I'm wrong but there has been no documented terrorist attacks on this island, that I am aware of. Lets not judge a book by its cover. Take a breather and relax. :)
BI Community Center

Post by BI Community Center »

The Beaver Island Community School is sponsoring a presentation from Dr. McPherson to the student body at 12:30pm on February 20th at the Community Center. Dr. McPherson offered to provide an additional presentation (fee-free) for community-wide access for adults.

We are providing a venue for public input, education and involvement, (as we are willing to do for many topics of public interest).
The Beaver Island Community Center...
at the heart of a good community!
KJWhitecraft

climate change

Post by KJWhitecraft »

Please AEW enlighten us with your understanding of the possibilities of climate control or the concern there of not just the damnation of what you clearly do not completely understand or are willing to even consider.
K.J. Whitecraft
Charlie D

Post by Charlie D »

Dr Guy McPherson speaks all over the country, without charge. He does this out of a sense of educational service, not profit (he's not being paid one penny to come over to Beaver Island to share his expertise and perspectives.) You don't have to agree with his conclusions, but please be open to listening to the voluminous research he's sharing. Failing that, I would hope that you'd consider "freedom of speech" still a value worth defending, even with those whom you disagree.

Our problem is this country is that we've lost our interest at understanding points of view that don't seem to agree with ours. Let's start here at home with a new open-mindedness and willingness to seek compromise.
megsing3

Post by megsing3 »

the doc is on downers
Last edited by megsing3 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AEW

Post by AEW »

@ Marissa, I never said anything about terrorism. I just read his blog an found some really odd writings and shared them with the community. When I heard of the presentation coming to the Island I looked up who was the speaker and what it is about. I found the topic interesting. I began to read some of his writings and watched close to 2 hours of videos of his interviews and presentations. I found many of his statements to be really bizarre, I found his selective and linear messaging odd for a man who talks about having a scientific background. I am not judging a book buy its cover, I am judging a man by his own words and his own writings. I am sure he is a great guy but when you are given a public arena to voice your convictions you will be scrutinized. Especially when you are a prolific writer.

@Karen. I would greatly enjoy having someone come here to speak about environmental issues that we can embrace here on the Island. But I do not need to hear the ramblings of an apocalyptic man who says "The US military is preparing for marshal law" or "The complete economic collapse of the world is coming" oh and his "We can not have civilization and a healthy planet, it is one or the other" His words, not mine.

There is a HUGE ideological divide between what we can do for the Island environmentally and the end of the world. When I think of environmental issues that we on the Island can do what comes to my mind is lets clean up our landfills. Let make the transfer station more effective, efficient and cheaper for people to dispose of waste so bone heads don't throw junk in the forest or burn their trash in burn barrels cause they are to cheap to dispose of stuff properly. I would like to see old roofing shingle process locally and reused into asphalt for future road paving projects. I would like to see old drywall processed for gypsum. I would like to see us use less gaylord boxes and obtain more reusable 3-10 yard hoppers to transport our waste. Replenishing the pan fish in the harbor, etc There are plenty of local things we can address to better the island. But a speech that "The End Is Near" does not help. I personnaly subscribe more to the Bjorn Lomborg school when it comes to the issue of climate change.

@Charlie, Mr McPherson can charge what ever he wishes. And he does charge. As advertised here on the link provided http://community.speakersite.com/profile/GuyMcPherson $1500-$5000.

More power to him! I think he should charge what ever he feels the market will bare.

I agree Charlie that we do need open minded discussions. We need to hear many sides of an issue and have a healthy debate. I would just like to have some balance to be presented regarding the apocalyptic opinions of Mr McPherson. I am sure he is a very nice man, but this is a grossly biased one sided presentation and to present this to students with no other opposing science, opinions or views to me is wrong.

holy cow do I make a lot of trouble!
AE Wirth
KJWhitecraft

Mc Phearson

Post by KJWhitecraft »

I would like to apologize for my "reaction" not response on this issue. It saddens me when there is conflict on the island which is why I rarely come to the forum. I close with two quotes I do believe in.
1. knowledge is power
2. there is nothing to fear but fear itself.
thank you
K.J. Whitecraft
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

I don' think there is any reason to be alarmed. He is not telling us anything that we didn't already know. I think the Mayans have given us fair warning that the end of the world as we know it will occur on December 21, 2012. :D

Hardware Jeff