Info on Leo Allard ran ferry boat Margaret Mary

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Dorothy Evans

Info on Motor Ship Mary Margaret

Post by Dorothy Evans »

:o [/b]I was pleased to read in your forum the interest people have about the Mary Margaret, the mailboat that ran from Charlevoix to Beaver Island from 1937 to 1948. My parents were the owners of that ship and my father, Captain Le Roy Allers was her captain. Her crew consisted of Lawrence Feindt, engineer, Chester Belfy, Elmer Gibson others from Beaver Island families, who served as deck hands. The Mary Margaret was made of steel and was very sea worthy. My brother,Captain Paul Allers, and I have extensive information concerning this ship along with some corrections that has been posted thus far in the forum. :roll:
Sincerely, Dorothy Allers Evans[/b]
Sean

Post by Sean »

Lets hear the whole story... Dorothy have any good pics of the Mary Margaret ?
Sean McDonough

Joyce

Mary Margaret

Post by Joyce »

Dorothy, The Historical Society would be very interested in having a copy of all your information. The website is beaverisland.net/history.

My husband, along with three friends, made his very first trip to the Island on the Mary Margaret in 1940. I have the pictures he took - some of which have the boat in the background.
BIHS volunteer
Sean

Post by Sean »

Here is a scan of the Chippewa post Card that Captain Steve Pagles the former owner sent me. Built 1923 Restored Bar Harbor Maine 1994. He just sold her over the summer. Current owner is having some work done on her now.
Sean McDonough