News about Barney's Lake preserve

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Kim Connaghan Jones

Post by Kim Connaghan Jones »

I debated whether or not to saying anything on this subject, but my anger has won out. Barney's Lake is one of my favorite places on the island and I wanted to cry when I saw what has happened to it. A beautiful, natural place on the island has turned into an eyesore. One of the biggest reason's so many people love this island, (the natural beauty), is being lost in all of these "improvements" . I'm all for improvements, but this is going too far. It's destroying the natural beauty of the island which never needed improvement to begin with.
Rory Connaghan

Post by Rory Connaghan »

I can never recall seeing more than 3 or 4 vehicles parked at the boat launch. The thought that someone saw the need to clear and gravel such a large area of the "preserve" perplexes me. The canoe racks, in my own opinion, are quite a eye sore. They could be half as tall as they are, as no one could lift a canoe to the top 2 tiers. Well not this 6'3 guy with the help of a equally tall friend anyhow. The row boat racks have room for 4 decent sized boats. Where do the rest go? On the ground in front of it? In the tiny fenced in area? People are going to have to be crawling and digging around for their boat every time they go out. Not a easy feat for some of the older folks. I'd say +75% of the time I see someone fishing there it's one old guy. (keeping my definition of old to myself : ) ) Who would seriously be hard pressed to drag their boat and gear that far much less use the racks. Then there's the issue of emergency accessibility, while it's still doable to get a tanker in there, these "improvements" sure aren't making it any easier.
AEW

Post by AEW »

I am not trying to start something here but I have to ask the question. Is this the kind of project that the newly formed NRETC committee will be implementing on the Island or was this just the LTC? And if so, will proposed projects be clearly presented to the public for a specific time for study prior to construction?

I drove by Barneys lake again yesterday. As I drove through the dense canopy forest from the south the view opens up where one use to suddenly see Barneys lake in all its beauty. Now when you come out from under the canopy the first thing you see two huge 8 foot tall canoe racks. It dominates the view. I use to like driving that way early in the morning and late in the evening as it just was so awesome. It sure has a different affect now.
AE Wirth
AEW

Post by AEW »

Did the LTC get a zoning permit for this work from Peaine Township? I did not see one posted.
AE Wirth
KaylynJ

Post by KaylynJ »

I sure am glad that AEW brought up the point about the effect being different now. That's exactly how it feels. It is no longer a place to go to enjoy the beauty, it's a commercial place.
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

AEW wrote:I am not trying to start something here but I have to ask the question. Is this the kind of project that the newly formed NRETC committee will be implementing on the Island or was this just the LTC? And if so, will proposed projects be clearly presented to the public for a specific time for study prior to construction?
Sorry, I just reread the statement about this "project" at the beginning of the thread. I don't see any mention of NRETC anywhere??

I do have to say that after driving over there on Friday and walking the trails I have VERY mixed feelings.

On the negative side:
1) I agree about the parking lot. It is almost as big as McDonoughs lot. And I too have never seen more than a few cars there with plenty of room to park.

2) I don't know what solution for boats would work best. The area they were in was kinda torn up but the new solution is indeed an eyesore. Don't know if they could have policed the boats that were there better I had a feeling a couple of them may not have been used all year when I was there this summer.

3) The fence is also an eyesore (BTW not saying either is ugly, they'd look fine downtown, but in their location, they hurt the eyes)

On the positive side.

1) I appreciated the trail signage and markings.

2) I appreciate the cutting back of the juniper from the road

When I walked the trails on Friday my son and I were able to walk places I had not seen before because of the new markings

A few years ago I drove that back road, I was very worried about the juniper scratching up my car (it was new then and I didn't have an Island Car). I was even more worried about trespassing on someones land who didn't want me there and I was unsure where the boundaries were.

I really appreciate Kuebler trail where the landowners have allowed the public to use the trail across their land and I have no problem if people follow the little spur of the Font lake trail as it crosses in front of my house. But, I know there needs to be some limits on people wandering across property without permission. The trail maps are nice and I'd like it even more if they could get permission for us to at least walk and/or bike thru to Barneys lake Road over near Nackerman's where the trail comes out at the other end.

Seems to me more than a little of the problems could have been avoided if the Conservancy posted their plans ahead of time for Island review. And, as someone who has supported their work in the past, this makes me question whether my future $$ will be well spent.

I will say I have no problems with what they have done at Little Sand Bay. The Beavers were destroying the forest over there and we really don't need more swampland on the Island. I also think the boardwalk has made the trail to the beach more accessible.

Jim
James Flanagan
37700 Font View Ct. 4439 N. California
Beaver Island, Mi Chicago, Il
49782 60625
231-448-2109 773-463-5494
taraandchuck

Post by taraandchuck »

This change upset me more than one can imagine. Barney's Lake has been my favorite spot on the island for my entire life. It is where I have gone for peace of mind, for a quiet visit with friends and to take my daughter frog hunting. My heart always skipped a beat as I caught the first glimpse of her as I came down the hill. Natural,untouched, perfect. Now, not so much. I contacted the LTC a few months ago to get permission to get married at Barney's Lake. As a descendant of Barney O'Donnell and a lover of BLake I couldn't think of a more perfect spot. These are the types of places that make Beaver Island the charming and unique place that it is. I was told that I could certainly have my ceremony there, but I couldn't put down any chairs as they might disturb the natural habitat. But they did want to let me know that there would be some fencing, giant stones and canoe racks put up and we'd have to work around those. Seriously???? The fact that I even had to call to ask for permission was perplexing enough. When I grew up on BI as long as you were respectful and cleaned up after yourselves you could go just about anywhere and do anything without hardly a fuss. But now, even though there are impractical canoe racks, giant boulders and an ugly fence polluting the formerly picture perfect view of the Lake, don't you dare put down a few chairs. There are sure to be fines for that. A great big adult phooey on you groups of "do-gooders" who keep making changes to what is an already perfect envirnoment. By the time your dead, my grandkids will have to pay admission to drive down the hill and catch a glimpse of your fence and boulders. Needless to say, there'll be no wedding at Barney's Lake.
AEW

Post by AEW »

I drove by it again on Sunday, It really is just bad. . Tara, I am so sorry to hear that you cannot have your wedding there. It is just a shame.
AE Wirth
taraandchuck

Post by taraandchuck »

Well Adam, I could have it there, but why would I want to? Instead of Barney O'Donnell's Lake, we are having it at O'Donnell's farm. Not a canoe rack in site! :) Just can't figure out why what is already perfect needs to be changed or "preserved". Let the natural progression of things continue. I walked many unmarked trails as did my parents and grandparents. Crossing a property line was something that never even crossed your mind. You just walked where you pleased. And as for juniper bushes scratching your car...you're on Beaver Island. Its all part of it.
AEW

Post by AEW »

I hear you Tara. I moved here to get as far away from the real world as I could. In my mind If you CHOOSE to move to a remote rugged Island 30 miles from the mainland you should not expect mainland amenities, signs, rules, services and conveniences. Those who do I suggest you at least consider relocating there. Who knows you might be happier. In my many years of living here I have seen a lot of change. When I hear of plans for a $740,000 Airport terminal at the Peaine township Airport with two conference rooms I just scratch my head and wonder who thinks up this crap?

Getting back to Barneys, wouldn't 2 long cedar poles along the beach to store canoes on worked just fine? And there has NEVER been a parking problem there. I also heard that after the family donated the land to the LTC that board members split off some of the land and bought it themselves without telling the family. Do you know if this is true?

Oh, PS, I am buying you a lifesize Johnny Bravo doll for a wedding gift!! See ya buddy
AE Wirth
Campbell60tr34@aol.com

news about Barney's lake preserve

Post by Campbell60tr34@aol.com »

Tara, what were you thinking? Why did you have to mention the fine frog hunting at Barney's Lake? I heard that someone is already trying to organize a Frog Hunting Tournament at Barney's Lake. Frog hunters from all over the U.S. and Mexico will be swarming Beaver Island with their smelly frog hunting rigs and their smelly friends to descend on Barney's Lake like an invading army! And the worst part is they sleep in their rigs, bring their own alcohol and eat their catch.
Jim Campbell